IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

On 3/26/2020 at 1:18 PM, frosted froggie said:

if you are in this thread, you need to check out @draxxon's link above. i went there and SUCCESS!! i now have over 800 games WITH BOX ART! 

thank you @draxxon!

I am here now working on the AFBX, but, its the exact same thing as a AFB9HD so you can also use the new pack (901 games) with the old AFB9HD units. I'll have the new pack out (1000+ games) in a couple weeks.

14 hours ago, frosted froggie said:

it does work with the 3050. that's the unit i have. there's even specific firmware for either 3650 (gold) or 3050 (boom). give it a go and you'll be very happy.

you can flash the gold cfw onto a regular 9 and it will become a gold unit sans wireless joysticks.

besides having different backgrounds and menu elements with the gold, you get a different set of bezels and actually one more bezel for a total of 5. (the regular only has 4.) On the left hand side menu where it has a section for Atari games, that will become a section for activision games instead. the pack was made with the activision titles in mind, im sure the Atari games are far from correct to appear in the Atari section.

The extra games on the gold are also hidden/locked away in the regular 9, so all you have to do is flash the gold cfw and its a gold, you don't have to do anything extra. all the files your running now will still work exactly the same. only thing you wont get is wireless joystick support. (that I know of, there looks to be a Bluetooth receiver on the regular 9s board, but I don't think there is a way to get wireless sticks working nonetheless.)

Edited by Draxxon

On 3/27/2020 at 5:17 PM, Draxxon said:

The extra games on the gold are also hidden/locked away in the regular 9, ...  ... you wont get is wireless joystick support. (that I know of, there looks to be a Bluetooth receiver on the regular 9s board, but I don't think there is a way to get wireless sticks working nonetheless.)

i appreciate the feedback. since i'm not wanting to change themes or bezels, and the hidden gold games are in the rom pack you shared, combined with the fact that between the alphabetic game menu and my populated "favourites" list, i'm not needing the activision list, i think i'll stay with the boom firmware. it is good to know that it is possible to change it, though, if they ever are able to make the wireless controllers work on a boom with gold firmware.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 2:08 PM, Bane_Masters said:

Hi all,

So, I have gotten myself into a bit of a situation. I bought the Atari Flashback 9 with HDMI output. I played it for a while and everything worked just fine. Then I followed the directions to download the update onto an SD card and when I turned it back on I got the prompt for the update and chose "yes". Then the little updating circle came on screen and everything seemed fine. Sadly, it has turned out that was the end of my smooth-sailing.

The update will just load in an endless loop. It says the upload is happening, the status bar fills to three quarters and then it goes to the floating multicolored circle... Then after a while it disappears and the status bar comes back and the cycle repeats. I am not sure what it is that I have done wrong or what the next steps to try to fix it should be. I was using a 16gb SD card because I read somewhere it had to be that or smaller, but now I feel like some places are saying 8 or smaller. Should I just try with a different smaller card? I have tried stopping the update, rebooting the console, rebooting the system without the card inserted(just get "ERROR"), and resetting to factory through the menu that comes up when you hold the fire button for three seconds. Nothing seems to work, so I am hoping someone here may have some helpful tips or pointers. I am sorry my post is Tolstoy length, but I wanted to cover anything that may be relevant.

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

i have the same problem, have you get some results?

19 hours ago, crysbb said:

i have the same problem, have you get some results?

"...after a while it disappears and the status bar comes back and the cycle repeats...."

after the first update, wait for prompt that asks "...update?" push right for no. power off, remove the card. delete the update file. load games. re-insert card. power on. you should be working. if you do get it working, go here and try this.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:18 PM, frosted froggie said:

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 7:19 AM, Mazloz said:

HELP!!!

I am new to all this, purchased an SD card to add games on I have followed all instructions but will not upload onto console. What am I doing wrong?

Marie

unzip and load "atari_update.img.zip" onto a blank SD card of 16Mb or less.

atari_update.img.zip

put the card into the system. do the update by pushing left on joystick after powering up. select YES. after 1st update you will be prompted again "...update...?" select NO. after the system restarts, power off and remove the card. delete the update file from the card.

unzip and load game file to the card

Game.zip

re-insert the card into the system and power on. you should now be working. 

if you do get it working, you should try this for a much better result: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/296676-flashback-9-gold-cfw-to-load-roms-and-boxart-from-sd/#comments

good luck

1 hour ago, Mazloz said:

Thank you I have managed to update the card onto console just need to find how to get roms to put onto SD card 

this is a game file with 528 games. game names have been edited to have no spaces or special characters. i forget where it came from but i did spend a little time renaming them.

Game.zip

just unzip then load on an empty card.

this is the same rom file i already provided for you in post #337.

Edited by frosted froggie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello everyone, i'm new to forum and all in all i have uploaded my new software for my flashback X for the first time, i don't have usb or cable yet but i will want to buy it soon, my question about this is :) can i get this pack of Game (s) 

move to Flashback X ? is it only flashback 9 ? I don't know anything about it, so I prefer to ask and, by the way, express full respect for what you do, after 30 years I will be able to play games that I remember :)

Regards

1 hour ago, pkudyba82 said:

Hello everyone, i'm new to forum and all in all i have uploaded my new software for my flashback X for the first time, i don't have usb or cable yet but i will want to buy it soon, my question about this is :) can i get this pack of Game (s) 

move to Flashback X ? is it only flashback 9 ? I don't know anything about it, so I prefer to ask and, by the way, express full respect for what you do, after 30 years I will be able to play games that I remember :)

Regards

this is what you're asking for:

make sure to read and follow instructions in this topic

page 5 - post #109 is the game file you want provided by @Draxxon

Edited by frosted froggie
need to add adt'l info
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

update your console with its correct custom firmware update. put the control files that come with the firmware on your sd card all by themselves. nothing else. power on the system with the sd card inserted with the control files on the root and wait. wait a very long time. if you don't have rom or emulator folders on your sd card, the control files will dump the files on your system to the sd card. the games and art will be in the "rom" folder on your sd card afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry so late. No clue how long, 15 minutes i would thing is plenty long, though. Youll know if when you try to load the dump folders on the next play if games and art is missing. or you can look in the rom and emulator folders and see if the files are present or corrupted.

and dont worry because you can mess it up. If you didnt wait long enough and files are missing, just delete the rom and emulator folders and try again.

• 2 months later...

Hello:  I'm a newbie at doing this.  I just got an Atari Flashback 9 Gold (AR3650) for Christmas and I am trying to update the firmware.   I downloaded the firmware file at the beginning of this thread and I also downloaded the file from this website https://firmwareupdate.atgames.net/registration.  I tried to update my console with both and in both cases when I turn the system on it goes right to the main menu, I never get the instructions for how to proceed with the firmware update.  The SD card was formatted as FAT 32 using WIN EN, a program suggested on one of the YouTube videos I watched on how to make the updates.    

My SD Card is set up as follows:  SDHC/atari_update.img 

I'm using a 4GB Gigastone SD Card.  

Does anyone have any advice or ideas on what I may be doing wrong?  

Thank You!