IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

I know how to do that but if we can't have spaces then I'm going to want some other naming convention like removing extra detail. Does upper or lower case matter? Does special characters like underscores matter? Can the filenames be longer than 8 characters?

I use an underscore in place of spaces (for example: Tomarc_the_Barbarian). It works just fine. Some file names I have are longer than 8 characters such as Montezuma's Revenge (Ex: Montezuma's_Revenge) and there's no problem with the console playing the game.

Edited by bugcatcher88

I use an underscore in place of spaces (for example: Tomarc_the_Barbarian). It works just fine. Some file names I have are longer than 8 characters such as Montezuma's Revenge (Ex: Montezuma's_Revenge) and there's no problem in the console playing the game.

Thanks for the info. Have you tried parantheses like Montezuma's_Revenge_(1984)?

Edited by Atari Nut
  • Like 1

Nice to see a good news thread for ATgames. I may yet invest in a gold unit. Still waiting on paddle news. Not sure why that is slow to release.

There will not be a paddles bundle at any retailer. Availability and price of the separate paddles is still to be determined.

Availability should be the same as the rest of the products I would hope. Why make a necessary accessory scarce? Especially when they restricted this years line up to just these specific paddles and not past years or original paddles.

I hope the answer doesn't revolve around the "casual audience wouldn't care about paddles therefore we won't be making many" excuse.

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 2

I was thinking of getting the Flashback Portable and using it instead, mainly because of compatibility issues and also the lack of a normal composite a/v output on the Flashback 9 (HDMI only) until I ran into this thread, now, one question, will this unit work with homebrews (I have hundreds of 2600 games I currently use with my VCS adapter on my 5200 with my Harmony Encore multicart), so I can use the FB9 instead of getting the FBP?

I was thinking of getting the Flashback Portable and using it instead, mainly because of compatibility issues and also the lack of a normal composite a/v output on the Flashback 9 (HDMI only) until I ran into this thread, now, one question, will this unit work with homebrews (I have hundreds of 2600 games I currently use with my VCS adapter on my 5200 with my Harmony Encore multicart), so I can use the FB9 instead of getting the FBP?

Until someone does a compatibility list, a good rule of thumb is that if it works on Stella 3.x, it should work on the Flashback 9 series.

• Like 2

I haven't tried much homebrew on the FB9, but Juno Something (forget the name) and Conquest of Mars work fine on it.

I really would not recommend a Flashback Portable. The d-pad is extremely poor making it nearly impossible to play games that requires the joystick for movement beyond just left and right. Which is ironic, given Pac-Man is advertised on it, but you can't play Pac-Man on it because you can't move him properly through the maze. It also does not have compatibility with Starpath games.

OTOH, I'm not overly impressed with the quality of the joysticks with the FB9. At least the Player 1 stick. The button doesn't always work and it's very stiff. Player 2 stick seems fine, but it lacks the button to bring up the menu and there isn't one on the console itself.

Edited by JeremyR
  • Like 1

I haven't tried much homebrew on the FB9, but Juno Something (forget the name) and Conquest of Mars work fine on it.

I really would not recommend a Flashback Portable. The d-pad is extremely poor making it nearly impossible to play games that requires the joystick for movement beyond just left and right. Which is ironic, given Pac-Man is advertised on it, but you can't play Pac-Man on it because you can't move him properly through the maze. It also does not have compatibility with Starpath games.

OTOH, I'm not overly impressed with the quality of the joysticks with the FB9. At least the Player 1 stick. The button doesn't always work and it's very stiff. Player 2 stick seems fine, but it lacks the button to bring up the menu and there isn't one on the console itself.

What about Wico joysticks? Or my CX24 sticks I use those almost exclusively with the VCS adapter and also with Redemption 5200 whenever playing games (like Pac-Man) in which good 4-way digital control is an absolute must? Also trak-ball controllers, mainly Wico and also the Atari CX22 and CX80 trak-balls, will they work? You NEED those with Missile Command and Centipede/Millipede.

What about Wico joysticks? Or my CX24 sticks I use those almost exclusively with the VCS adapter and also with Redemption 5200 whenever playing games (like Pac-Man) in which good 4-way digital control is an absolute must? Also trak-ball controllers, mainly Wico and also the Atari CX22 and CX80 trak-balls, will they work? You NEED those with Missile Command and Centipede/Millipede.

I don't know about trackballs, I'm sure Bill can answer that though. Regular joysticks and Wico's should work and I would think any standard 9-pin Atari style stick should work unless I'm mistaken.

This is for Atari Flashback 9 and Atari Flashback 9 Gold (same file works on both)

1. Download this file atari_update.img.zip

2. Unzip it (will uncompress to 36MB file named atari_update.img)

Put it on an SD card, insert into console, power on.

3. Push LEFT on the joystick to start the update process

once it's done, bush RIGHT to skip the prompt

Reboot! The SD card option is now enabled.

To add ROMs, it's like how the Flashback Portable worked. Make a GAME folder in the root of your SD card. You may need to rename your ROMs and avoid any special characters. Both .bin and .a26 files should be recognized.

This thread has some relevant troubleshooting info, and you might even find some other downloads there.

this message has been brought to you by the firmware fairy

I followed the instructions. It seems like I've done all steps. Even read below for advice. However the sd card option shows up but is grayed out. I have .bin roms without spaces on the 16gb card. Any ideas on why it would be grayed out? Thanks for any info.