IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

The games that come with the system should always show up. I'm talking about games in the SD card not showing up.

Okay, then it is truly borked. My boss says we wouldnt be putting it back on the shelf, so this hiccup should pan out.

For patching the fresh system, should I back up any save states and whatnot first?

If you are installing the 'firmware' to enable SD Card access, it's a good idea to backup save states first. In my Genesis Flashback they were wiped.

The "SD Card firmware" replaces the /data partition on this system, so the save states and customizations will be lost.

The update you have found in AtGames site for the Legends Flashback (it was removed but the file is still accessible) is a "real" software update. It replaces 2 different partitions on the system: /emulator and /rom. It looks like this is an update for the emulator and perhaps some of the ROMs in the system - the only reason I see to replace /rom partition.

So your Atari Flashback is not working because you replaced the Atari emulator with the Legends Flashback emulator which does not have the Stella Core. The only way to fix it would be a full update image or an update with at least /emulator and /rom partitions.

Edited by rmr_md

So what does everyone think of their flashback 9's? It's been quiet lately and was wondering if the ROM compatibility is better than the portable?

It plays Supercharger games, so I'm happy.

On the flip side, the Player One joystick build quality is terrible. But because the console itself doesn't have all the buttons needed, you are stuck using it.

Walmart Canada print and on-line ads do not match for the Atari Flashback 9 and Atari Legends consoles. The boxes look almost identical but the versions picked up at my local Walmart were only composite video. Check the round circles on the front of the box for a HDMI circle. If missing they are the composite versions. I just returned two of them as my HDTV has only HDMI inputs.

• Like 1

Walmart Canada print and on-line ads do not match for the Atari Flashback 9 and Atari Legends consoles. The boxes look almost identical but the versions picked up at my local Walmart were only composite video. Check the round circles on the front of the box for a HDMI circle. If missing they are the composite versions. I just returned two of them as my HDTV has only HDMI inputs.

Family Dollar is selling the Atari Flashback 9 for $30 this week, but its also the composite video model. Like a sucker I bought one, but its no huge deal for that price and it may become a christmas present. What makes me mad is there was NO mention of a composite video output anywhere on the box. The menu is like the flashback portables and older flashbacks, so I couldn't get the firmware update to install. It really sucks that AtGames is doing this.

Edited by WildBillTX

Family Dollar is selling the Atari Flashback 9 for $30 this week, but its also the composite video model. Like a sucker I bought one, but its no huge deal for that price and it may become a christmas present. What makes me mad is there was NO mention of a composite video output anywhere on the box. The menu is like the flashback portables and older flashbacks, so I couldn't get the firmware update to install. It really sucks that AtGames is doing this.

This is really odd. Can you post a picture of the box?

I suspected that the other day.

Like several others here, I was under the impression that the standard definition model was dead, but there sure wasn't a HDMI port in the diagram of the unit on the box (Which the Legends Flashback box does have labeled). All I could think of is that it had a built-in composite AV cable instead. So I ended up paying a bit more to buy one that said 720p, and returned this unopened.

I'm glad I followed my hunch, but there really shouldn't of been any confusion in the first place if the box had made it clear the nature of this variant. And while not many interested users will buy this over the HD version and want to load roms, hopefully the firmware is made available quietly for those that may want it unlocked.

I didn't snap a picture, but the box looks the same as what I did keep from Walgreens. Just no 720p bubble on the front of the box (I don't remember if something is listed in lieu of it) and no HDMI port on the diagram of the unit. And what I bought from Family Dollar and returned had a $30 sticker on the front of the box. Also no 720p bubble on the front of the Sega Genesis console they're selling for $30.

Edited by Atariboy

The Flashback Portable menu can already access the SD card without extra firmware, can this variant of the 9 do that or is it the same as the FB8?

Perhaps it is a clone console.

I suspected that the other day.

Like several others here, I was under the impression that the standard definition model was dead, but there sure wasn't a HDMI port in the diagram of the unit on the box (Which the Legends Flashback box does have labeled). All I could think of is that it had a built-in composite AV cable instead. So I ended up paying a bit more to buy one that said 720p, and returned this unopened.

I'm glad I followed my hunch, but there really shouldn't of been any confusion in the first place if the box had made it clear the nature of this variant. And while not many interested users will buy this over the HD version and want to load roms, hopefully the firmware is made available quietly for those that may want it unlocked.

I didn't snap a picture, but the box looks the same as what I did keep from Walgreens. Just no 720p bubble on the front of the box (I don't remember if something is listed in lieu of it) and no HDMI port on the diagram of the unit. And what I bought from Family Dollar and returned had a $30 sticker on the front of the box. Also no 720p bubble on the front of the Sega Genesis console they're selling for $30.

Wait what? I too thought that this years models were all HDMI only.

As for the second bolded quote, no one should be surprised. Atgames seems famous for disingenuous boxes *cough* Namco Blast *cough*

Here's the front of the box:

P1020278.jpg

And the back...

P1020300.jpg

The side panel, no mention of any video output!

P1020301.jpg

And some screenshots:

P1020291.jpg

P1020294.jpg

Could you try Defender III and SuperCharger SpaceInvaders from my post here?

I suspect this version may also be using the Flashback Portable Emulator which can play these games, the HDMI Flashback 9 garbles them.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284357-atari-flashback-9-firmware-for-adding-games-to-sd-card/?p=4160314

• Like 1

Here's a ebay scan of the HDMI version. If the box doesn't mention HDMI "720p HD output" then its the composite output version.

s-l1600_1.jpg

Could you try Defender III and SuperCharger SpaceInvaders from my post here?

I suspect this version may also be using the Flashback Portable Emulator which can play these games, the HDMI Flashback 9 garbles them.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284357-atari-flashback-9-firmware-for-adding-games-to-sd-card/?p=4160314

I just tried both and they work. I also tried Champ Scramble and the latest Pacman 8K build, but Scramble didn't load and Pacman 8K had lots of screen tearing and was unplayable.

Edited by WildBillTX
  • Like 1

So you were able to load your own roms.

I just assumed when you said you weren't able to load the firmware, that you were attempting to do so in order to open up the ability to load roms off a SD card.

I thought I could upgrade it to the HDMI menu system but nothing loaded. It probably uses the same firmware as the latest Portable Flashback.

• Like 1

Here's a ebay scan of the HDMI version. If the box doesn't mention HDMI "720p HD output" then its the composite output version.

s-l1600_1.jpg

I just tried both and they work. I also tried Champ Scramble and the latest Pacman 8K build, but Scramble didn't load and Pacman 8K had lots of screen tearing and was unplayable.

Thanks WildBill! I want to pick up one of these versions too but want to be sure I am getting this version -

I will ask Bill Loguidice to join this discussion - It would help me to support both versions of the Flashback 9 if I knew what version of Stella the HDMI unit was running and why it cannot run games the other version can run (great if Stella devs know what needs to be changed for cross compatibility with both versions of the console).

• Like 1

I was not aware that there was a standard def release until just a few days ago. Apparently, a small run was made at the request of retailers. I can't fathom why, but there you have it.

Anyway, based on the menu, it looks like the standard def console is running the same custom AtGames emulator as the handheld does. So it's the same as the past consoles and the handhelds. Only the HD 9 and 9 Gold are running Stella 3.x.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was not aware that there was a standard def release until just a few days ago. Apparently, a small run was made at the request of retailers. I can't fathom why, but there you have it.

Anyway, based on the menu, it looks like the standard def console is running the same custom AtGames emulator as the handheld does. So it's the same as the past consoles and the handhelds. Only the HD 9 and 9 Gold are running Stella 3.x.

Just a quick way for AtGames to make some fast cash on Black Friday and Christmas sales. I bet a lot of people will be disappointed as I was.