IGNORED

New IIGS Owner

@RealActorRob

Got it back from Goodwill, system test passed...and the power supply blew. 99.9% sure it's those mylar caps in the Dyna power supply. Smells like...caps...from a cap pistol. Plus they were cracked and looked a little black.

Will be replacing those and the 1uF that are notorious, as soon as I get:

fuse holders (might as well not solder in another fuse)

Pace PPS80A (mine's broke)

fuses

X2 caps

I also ordered a Meanwell just to have around. Quad output for $20...too large to fix in the old case but I might make a custom mount. IIRC it's 50W which is the smallest meanwell quad but a good bit uprated from stock.

3D Printer time for a new cover...might make some paintable sets for Ebay...

Also scored a long serial cable, 2x3.5 external and 2x5.25 external.

And the icing: it has an Applied Engineering GS RAM Plus in it! Which is about 75% full....

• 6 months later...

That is nice. Years ago I passed up a few systems. I didn't realize it was pretty much apple ii with graphics and sound. So I passed up tons of them. Though I don't remember any of them having extra cards. So I passed them all up. That and no place to put them. Years before that I ran into some Franklin ace computers. I had not idea what they was. When I got home and looked them up. Went back to the thrift store. They was all gone. Really sad too. No software or anything. But complete with disk drives and such. No monitors. Funny part is they did come from the local school district. Had it burned in on the side. Oh, well. As stated in another post. I Just got hooked up with a apple II plus. I was reading in the power supply at least one items needs to be replaced. They have been known to go out. Anyway good luck on the apple IIgs.

TTFN,

Josh

That is nice. Years ago I passed up a few systems. I didn't realize it was pretty much apple ii with graphics and sound. So I passed up tons of them. Though I don't remember any of them having extra cards. So I passed them all up. That and no place to put them. Years before that I ran into some Franklin ace computers. I had not idea what they was. When I got home and looked them up. Went back to the thrift store. They was all gone. Really sad too. No software or anything. But complete with disk drives and such. No monitors. Funny part is they did come from the local school district. Had it burned in on the side. Oh, well. As stated in another post. I Just got hooked up with a apple II plus. I was reading in the power supply at least one items needs to be replaced. They have been known to go out. Anyway good luck on the apple IIgs.

TTFN,

Josh

Yeah the trick was always whats under the hood... sure as you don't check you throw away a gold mine of some sort. But the gems were few in relation to the number of systems that went in the rubbish. The only things I regret having lost/gotten rid of... most survived a few house moves... was 2 x SCSI card, an Apple HS and a Rev B. a 12Mhz Zip Card, and my 4Mb Ram card.... Everything else has still been atainable so far...

A