IGNORED

How Common Are Wii Disc Drive Failures?

Skippy B. Coyote

That certainly makes good logical sense, just playing games off an external hard drive and enjoying them that way since the future doesn't look good for playing them off the original disc, but it still sounds depressing. Like it would mean the defeat of all my collecting efforts and take all the purpose and excitement out of the hobby for me. A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

I guess I just need some more time to think about it before deciding what to do.

In cases like this, you need to get it into your head that all hardware WILL eventually fail and that our original hardware will be something to put on the shelf and tell the grandkids about while playing the games themselves on FPGA consoles or emulation boxes. It's an unfortunate eventuality but one that we all have to come to grips with if we are going to continue to enjoy this hobby.

Systems with older parts like Atari may last longer than ones with moving parts that wear out like Wii Disc drives and if you can still use the original hardware while preserving the parts inside via side loading your games, that sounds like a win to me.

Edited by AtariLeaf

I just got a Wii system for free from a friend of the family. Thing is I already have two plus I just got a Wii U. I haven't had a chance to test it but if it works, it's yours for the price of shipping.

That's really kind and thoughtful of you to offer, but after pondering it for a couple weeks I've decided to mod my Wii to play all my Wii games off an external hard drive and stick to collecting physical games for cartridge based systems from here on out. With that in mind I've gone ahead and put my Wii game collection up for sale or trade here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284828-for-sale-trade-big-wii-game-collection-60-games-all-mint-complete/ and will be using the funds from the sales to purchase a 1TB external hard drive for my Wii and work on expanding my Sega Genesis and Game Boy cartridge libraries. :)

That's really kind and thoughtful of you to offer, but after pondering it for a couple weeks I've decided to mod my Wii to play all my Wii games off an external hard drive and stick to collecting physical games for cartridge based systems from here on out. With that in mind I've gone ahead and put my Wii game collection up for sale or trade here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284828-for-sale-trade-big-wii-game-collection-60-games-all-mint-complete/ and will be using the funds from the sales to purchase a 1TB external hard drive for my Wii and work on expanding my Sega Genesis and Game Boy cartridge libraries. :)

No prob. I saw your sale after I posted this but could not edit my post.