IGNORED

Legends Flashback FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

Haters gonna hate. No doubt AtGames has done some questionable things. But, from what I can tell, this is a fairly solid product, and once the firmware is cracked to allow more ROMs from different systems, even better. We are all entitled to our opinions, but perhaps more constructive criticisms will go further with Bill and/or AtGames in general. Just a thought...

Now that I broke down and bought one (Walgreens has them for 50% off this week), I hope the firmware fairy visits again with an updated OS to enable rom loading on the arcade side.

And while not too important, I wouldn't argue against getting more use out of the NES emulator as well, since an AVS is still in my future. This NES emulator doesn't seem bad at all after 1st impressions, so I'd love to load it up with all the arcade style NES games that I can think of.

Edited by Atariboy

MAME 2003 is the 15 year old MAME with the 15 year old romset (the ROMs are way older than 15 years ;) ). While it is old, it performs very well for this kind of hardware and the games that are expected to be played on it. If you want to play classics games you don't need to have the latest MAME version, for most of these games even MAME 2000 is fine.

The version being used in the Legends Flashback is the MAME 2003 Plus, which is a libretro core with some optimizations over the regular MAME core.

Unfortunately nobody found a way to run arcade ROMs from the SD Card yet.

Thanks for the info. If someone was to find a way to get this working, where would one get such an old ROM set?

Archive.org or 'your favorite torrent site' ... or you can use clrmamepro to adjust your romset - most of the old roms did not change over the time

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard that anyone has opened this up yet. At this point, I'm willing to experiment at the risk of bricking it, even though I have almost no expertise.

When I plug the USB Micro into my PC, I can't look into it, it just powers on. I am hoping that maybe this is like the most recent HD At Games Genesis flashback where if it's opened up, you can get in that way. But if anyone knows a way I can peek by using an SD card or the micro-USB power connection, please let me know.

My goal would be to see how much memory is on the unit, then remove some games, add some others with artwork and descriptions. Again, I would guess that HD Genesis hacking videos might be helpful since I think the Legends were intended to be Genesis models at one point.

I haven't heard that anyone has opened this up yet. At this point, I'm willing to experiment at the risk of bricking it, even though I have almost no expertise.

When I plug the USB Micro into my PC, I can't look into it, it just powers on. I am hoping that maybe this is like the most recent HD At Games Genesis flashback where if it's opened up, you can get in that way. But if anyone knows a way I can peek by using an SD card or the micro-USB power connection, please let me know.

My goal would be to see how much memory is on the unit, then remove some games, add some others with artwork and descriptions. Again, I would guess that HD Genesis hacking videos might be helpful since I think the Legends were intended to be Genesis models at one point.

I don't have one, but I was able to look at an update file that was available at Atgames site, and this is almost identical as the Genesis Flashback HD 2018.

So, based on this assumption and the testes I did with the Genesis Flashback, I can tell you the following:

+ This system has 256MB of RAM and the NAND size is also 256MB; The processor is a RK3066 (Dual-core, 1.5GHz)

+ It's running Linux, that explains how we can have this working in such a small NAND

+ The "Emulator" partition has some libretro cores: NES/QuickNES, Genesis/Genesis Plus GX, MAME/MAME 2003 Plus and an emulator for some Capcom games called MOO. SSF2, Strider and I think Forgotten Worlds use this emulator

+ There is a "rom" partition with the games, an "all-games.ini" file - with almost the same format as the 2017 version but new parameters like the emulator, and a FBA core. Ghouls 'n Ghosts uses FBA

+ There are 2 executable in Emulator partition: retromenu (the menu) and retroplayer, which is the emulator being used to load the RetroArch cores. This emulator has some hardcode to force the games at 60fps so PAL games have issues with the music and gameplay using Genesis Plus GX

+ Based on what I've seen so far, it's not possible to load arcade games in .zip format. retromenu is hardcoded to load only .BIN and .md files. Changing extensions in this executable using a hex editor does not work for .zip file. I think that's because .zip 'could be associated' with MAME, FBA or MOO.

+ Since this is running Linux and the NAND size is only 256MB, I won't have hopes that it will be hacked as the Genesis Flashback HD 2017 was. There is not much to look at, unfortunately

+ If someone can develop new executables or a new menu for Linux in ARM, it could be hacked

+ The way to 'change files' is installing a rockchip update file, like the "firmware" to unlock the SD Card. This "firmware" just reflash the /data partition.

The 'best hack' possible at this time would involve editing the "all-games.ini" file and assign the games to the SD Card. I've been able to load a couple of arcade games but it's not intuitive and you need to have a Linux and a Windows machine available to rebuild the roms partition and create a rockchip update file.

My Genesis Flashback HD 2018 is presenting a hardware issue (it's freezing after some time) so I can't test if this is stable.

Edited by rmr_md

They can fix with an update. Opening an executable file with a hex-editor is not friendly at all so I couldnt't figure out how the games in the SD Card are being loaded.

There is a 'hard' association to the emulators using all-games.ini but I don't know how the SD card files are associated with the Genesis core. I could find the extensions to be read on the SD Card and change then (it loads Master System or Sega CD games), but .zip did not work.

They can fix with an update. Opening an executable file with a hex-editor is not friendly at all so I couldnt't figure out how the games in the SD Card are being loaded.

There is a 'hard' association to the emulators using all-games.ini but I don't know how the SD card files are associated with the Genesis core. I could find the extensions to be read on the SD Card and change then (it loads Master System or Sega CD games), but .zip did not work.

Okay, you have my attention right there with SEGA CD games? LOL

=Lockar

I've just bought a Legends Flashback, and now I can update my previous information:

1) The NAND size is not 256MB for this model, it's 128MB!! The same is valid for RAM...

2) The original firmware came with only MAME 2003 Plus, that explains why the some reviews have SSF2 and Ghouls 'n Ghost sounding so bad. Atgames silently released an update to address these issues but they removed from their site as the instructions had an Atari Flashback unit, causing some confusion. I hope they release this update again, as the new emulators do a very better job and may open the doors for improvements

I will resume my tests with Sega CD using this console, I hope it runs stable enough to be able to share it.

Edited by rmr_md
  • Like 2

I've got this link from another thread here. I think it was from the Atari Flashback 9...

I just tried this firmware and my genuine Sega 6 button controller's Start button doesn't register anymore. The included Atgames controllers still work fine, but I preferred the real Sega Genesis controller. My mistake for using that firmware update.

I've just bought a Legends Flashback, and now I can update my previous information:

1) The NAND size is not 256MB for this model, it's 128MB!! The same is valid for RAM...

2) The original firmware came with only MAME 2003 Plus, that explains why the some reviews have SSF2 and Ghouls 'n Ghost sounding so bad. Atgames silently released an update to address these issues but they removed from their site as the instructions had an Atari Flashback unit, causing some confusion. I hope they release this update again, as the new emulators do a very better job and may open the doors for improvements

I will resume my tests with Sega CD using this console, I hope it runs stable enough to be able to share it.

fyi I looked the nand parts myself. and the data sheets report as 2gb for both chipsets. this has been wracking my brain tbh.

i do wonder if the pc tools are misreporting based on what is reading off the offsets perhaps?

Edited by WD_GASTER

How do you know which version of the Legends Flashback you have?