IGNORED

Legends Flashback FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

With the spotty SD compatibility with newer cards, I bought a cheap used 2 GB SD card off GameStop's site that's meant for the Wii/DS. Then this Sega CD development happened and makes that card rather cramped instead of having plenty of room. So I'm wondering if this 4 GB SDHC card may work, or if SDHC is a no go in these AtGames devices?

https://www.gamestop.com/accessories/wii-dsi-memory-sdhc-40gb/101880

This is available locally and would let me fit 4 or 5 more Sega CD games without having to swap cards in and out.

Edited by Atariboy

I'm using a cheap Unirex 16GB microSD card from Frys, and it's working fine with both Legends Flashback and Genesis Flashback 2018.

Since you are working with custom firmware, I'd like to propose a sleep mode, We can leave it switched on but it enters a power saving sleep mode with a button combination much like what we use to pull up the save menus. It would be Helpful to me to just be able to pick up a controller and hit like Up and Start to boot the system. It's just a thought.

Since you are working with custom firmware, I'd like to propose a sleep mode, We can leave it switched on but it enters a power saving sleep mode with a button combination much like what we use to pull up the save menus. It would be Helpful to me to just be able to pick up a controller and hit like Up and Start to boot the system. It's just a thought.

Why would you need a sleep mode when you have save states built in? The only other purpose I could see this serving would be a screen saver for your TV...

• Like 1

Why would you need a sleep mode when you have save states built in? The only other purpose I could see this serving would be a screen saver for your TV...

Just for the convenience of it. I don't know if you have run into this problem but sometimes a game will lock up and a reset is needed, But, Honestly, I'm using genesis extension cables on mine, all of my consoles are behind a glass door on my entertainment center. It's just a pain in the ass to have to fiddle with all of that just to push a button, A sleep feature that could boot the system with a button combination when I pick up the controller would be preferable honestly.

Idk, I know some people like to have their consoles right there at arm's length, I've never been like that, I like to have mine under the Tv in an entertainment center. I mean, Having the console out in the open just floating around all willy-nilly like that, it puts unnecessary wear on them. Besides, I've coded a little in my time, It would be incredibly easy to implement. Almost a non-issue provided one left the power button on.

Edited by Shadowprophet

If I try to add some arcade games with rmr_md's nice custom firmware, is there a particular older MAME romset that I'd be wise to go in search of to use with MAME2000 on this?

You can search in archive.org... MAME 2000 or MAME 0.37b5

Did you ever have any luck getting Segacd games working?

Yes, I've tested Sonic CD, Final Fight and Mortal Kombat and they all work. I'm using games in .cue/.bin format.

• Like 1

You can search in archive.org... MAME 2000 or MAME 0.37b5

Yes, I've tested Sonic CD, Final Fight and Mortal Kombat and they all work. I'm using games in .cue/.bin format.

this is going to sound silly, But can you specify what exactly the overdrive feature does? I have messed with it and can not tell any difference.

Edited by Shadowprophet

I don't have any idea what it exactly does. From Atgames FAQ:

11) What is Overdrive Mode?

Overdrive Mode helps to process games with multiple sprites on screen. Overdrive mode will reduce flickering caused by multiple sprites.

Posted By SP. Sorry, the window Edit problem cropped up again.// Hmm, Could we not create an executive Exploit, Like an app that can be run from the firmware, Inside this app, We shell to DOS, And Run A Dos Snes Emu? I Believe the Arcade legends could handle A Dos SNES EMU. I've been studying the specs, IT all comes down to, Is the Firmware so well exploited at this point that we can Add an app That Loads a Firmware from SD Card While Dumping the one in Nand., An Environment to Simply Execute some Dos shell Snes Action?

I have studied a little bit. I believe this is possible, if the Foux OS Is Executed from within the Firmware, When We close The App or Exit the APP IT simply Reuploads the Original Firmware to Nand with a save state., If we can Execute these actions seamlessly, I don't see why we couldn't have dedicated full power ran to particular Apps. because each piece of homebrew would be that custom saved firmware state, This must be possible, we did this with the PSP back in the Day I think the Exploit used in the psp was a stack overflow found in the savestates of certain games, I'd pick one of the games that comes on the console preinstalled. It's more common and more likely to present a stack overflow. This could Grant I/0 access, eventually nand access this way, And the psp had lesser specs honestly. Except for maybe the video, The Psp had bad ass Video for the time.

Edited by Shadowprophet

I don't have any idea what it exactly does. From Atgames FAQ:

11) What is Overdrive Mode?

Overdrive Mode helps to process games with multiple sprites on screen. Overdrive mode will reduce flickering caused by multiple sprites.

Since no one else has said it, It needs to be said, I've used your Firmware for a few days now, It plays Master System and Game Gear games perfectly, I've also Meticulously tried out some of my more taxing roms on Sega Cd and pleasantly discovered they seem to run even better than before, You have made an amazing firmware, I won't be updating my Box again, Unless it's you, The ATgames Guy's Clearly can't hold a candle to you bro.

• Like 1

Posted By SP. Sorry, the window Edit problem cropped up again.// Hmm, Could we not create an executive Exploit, Like an app that can be run from the firmware, Inside this app, We shell to DOS, And Run A Dos Snes Emu? I Believe the Arcade legends could handle A Dos SNES EMU. I've been studying the specs, IT all comes down to, Is the Firmware so well exploited at this point that we can Add an app That Loads a Firmware from SD Card While Dumping the one in Nand., An Environment to Simply Execute some Dos shell Snes Action?

I have studied a little bit. I believe this is possible, if the Foux OS Is Executed from within the Firmware, When We close The App or Exit the APP IT simply Reuploads the Original Firmware to Nand with a save state., If we can Execute these actions seamlessly, I don't see why we couldn't have dedicated full power ran to particular Apps. because each piece of homebrew would be that custom saved firmware state, This must be possible, we did this with the PSP back in the Day I think the Exploit used in the psp was a stack overflow found in the savestates of certain games, I'd pick one of the games that comes on the console preinstalled. It's more common and more likely to present a stack overflow. This could Grant I/0 access, eventually nand access this way, And the psp had lesser specs honestly. Except for maybe the video, The Psp had bad ass Video for the time.

You don't need to go this far. This device is running Linux, and there is a script running before the menu/dashboard starts, I've used this as an 'exploit' to read parameter files from SD Card and get the output from the executables. Someone with Linux for ARM skills could re-redesign the menu (it needs to be redesigned from scratch without the source-code) and add another options (something like the Generations Dashboard for the Genesis Flashback 2017 but reading the original parameters file).

The problem we have is that there is no space inside the NAND for anything, this device has only a 128MB NAND (15MB for OS, 10MB for Emulators, ~50MB for ROMs, 4MB for the writeable data partition and the rest is being used for control partitions and tempfs/cache - the ROMs need to be decompressed somewhere).

SNES emulation is too much for "RetroArch" (or this implementation), as this is running a dual-core processor. I've tested RA with the Genesis Flashback 2017 (almost the same hardware but larger NAND and more RAM) and snes9x runs slow. Snes9x EX runs better but this emulator is optimized for Android - I don't know how to compile it for ARM Linux.

If this device had a quad-core processor, more RAM and a larger NAND, it would worth replacing everything with RetroArch/Lakka but with the actual hardware it doesn't worth the effort.

Since no one else has said it, It needs to be said, I've used your Firmware for a few days now, It plays Master System and Game Gear games perfectly, I've also Meticulously tried out some of my more taxing roms on Sega Cd and pleasantly discovered they seem to run even better than before, You have made an amazing firmware, I won't be updating my Box again, Unless it's you, The ATgames Guy's Clearly can't hold a candle to you bro.

Master System / Game Gear / Sega CD support is on them (Atgames), I've just unlocked the extensions to enable them to run from the SD Card. They deserve kudos for the job done with Firmware v2.6, I compared some problematic arcade games and Sega CD and it improved a lot with the latest firmware, they are not perfect, but are very good.

As a member in GBATemp noticed, there is a 'bug' in the Atgames emulator with games using battery backup, it doesn't work in Legends Flashback. You will need to use save states for these games.

• Like 1

You don't need to go this far. This device is running Linux, and there is a script running before the menu/dashboard starts, I've used this as an 'exploit' to read parameter files from SD Card and get the output from the executables. Someone with Linux for ARM skills could re-redesign the menu (it needs to be redesigned from scratch without the source-code) and add another options (something like the Generations Dashboard for the Genesis Flashback 2017 but reading the original parameters file).

The problem we have is that there is no space inside the NAND for anything, this device has only a 128MB NAND (15MB for OS, 10MB for Emulators, ~50MB for ROMs, 4MB for the writeable data partition and the rest is being used for control partitions and tempfs/cache - the ROMs need to be decompressed somewhere).

SNES emulation is too much for "RetroArch" (or this implementation), as this is running a dual-core processor. I've tested RA with the Genesis Flashback 2017 (almost the same hardware but larger NAND and more RAM) and snes9x runs slow. Snes9x EX runs better but this emulator is optimized for Android - I don't know how to compile it for ARM Linux.

If this device had a quad-core processor, more RAM and a larger NAND, it would worth replacing everything with RetroArch/Lakka but with the actual hardware it doesn't worth the effort.

Master System / Game Gear / Sega CD support is on them (Atgames), I've just unlocked the extensions to enable them to run from the SD Card. They deserve kudos for the job done with Firmware v2.6, I compared some problematic arcade games and Sega CD and it improved a lot with the latest firmware, they are not perfect, but are very good.

As a member in GBATemp noticed, there is a 'bug' in the Atgames emulator with games using battery backup, it doesn't work in Legends Flashback. You will need to use save states for these games.

I never really played the stock games on the flashback anyway. I've spent the last week filling up my 16 gig card, I have Every NES game, Every sega genesis game, and every sega cd game. I have now Several SMS roms and a hand full of GG roms, I won't be missing the stock games on any level. I have 154 pages of games on Sd :D I'm set for life :P

Well not every Sega cd game, Some of those Sega cd games just Suck, lol, I got all the good ones though :D

Edited by Shadowprophet

So for the SMS and GameGear Roms, what file extension needs to be used? .md and or .bin?

Also, will SNES games work?

Master system is .sms and Game gear is .gg I think most of those roms will already be in that format, And I don't think snes works on this one. It may never, But still By the time it's all said and done, The stock games, Genesis, Sega CD, Nes, Game gear, Master system, and neo geo and mame, It's pretty awesome :D

I love being able to play Master system games, I've been playing phantasy star since the update, :D I haven't messed with the Mame or Neogeo emulation any. But The master system emu works great :D

So are you able to use the save feature? I thought that wasn't possible. If it is, then that's good to know.

• Like 1

So are you able to use the save feature? I thought that wasn't possible. If it is, then that's good to know.

You can still save using the save states, It's just the battery backup saves for the built-in arcade games that came with it that don't work, And you can easily just use a save state on those games as well, So, It's a non issue really, Just remember to pull up the menu and make a save state and you are all set.

• Like 1

It also affects console games with save function, it seems the emulator resets the backup file every time the game starts.

Save state works fine for console games but I wouldn't trust them for arcade games running under MAME 2000 in the custom firmware (MAME2000 does not support save states).

Edited by rmr_md
  • Like 1

Just to confirm and prevent (my) confusion: The Sega Master System (.sms) and Sega Game Gear (.gg) games only function with the firmware discussed in the message thread here -> https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-firmware-for-atgames-legends-flashback-with-support-for-arcade-games.527550/; but not the firmware for Sega Mega Drive/Sega CD/NES games discussed in THIS thread, correct?

Just to confirm and prevent (my) confusion: The Sega Master System (.sms) and Sega Game Gear (.gg) games only function with the firmware discussed in the message thread here -> https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-firmware-for-atgames-legends-flashback-with-support-for-arcade-games.527550/; but not the firmware for Sega Mega Drive/Sega CD/NES games discussed in THIS thread, correct?

That's correct.