IGNORED

Legends Flashback FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

How many roms/games will legends flashback hold?

Also, how do you get the rom names to show up on the console in alphabetical order? I put them in the GAME folder and all are in alphabetical order but when I open the SD card feature on the console they are all randomly organized and not in order.

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by serinaj10
  • Like 1

Also, how do you get the rom names to show up on the console in alphabetical order? I put them in the GAME folder and all are in alphabetical order but when I open the SD card feature on the console they are all randomly organized and not in order.

Thanks in advance!!

I've added the entire Sega Genesis and NES collections, It just keeps going, If it has a page limit I haven't found it. I'm up to like 154 pages and still seeking and adding roms. My guess is, Once you cross the 16 gig line that's it. Sega Cd games will fill that card up quickly though.

Sega CD is working :)

For MAME, can I leave stuff zipped? I've been decompressing all my roms, but unsure if that's been necessary.

For MAME you will need to use the firmware available in GBATemp forum, and use the zipped files from MAME 2000 romset renamed to .zim.
  • Like 1

Give DriveSort a try. Was recommended around here and put all my files in the correct order.

Thanks in advance!!

I am NOT an expert but this is what I do and it seems to work.

Have all the files ready to go on your pc or somewhere other than your card. In Windows Explorer, click the name column to make sure they're alphabetically sorted, a on top to z on bottom. Then click on the file at the very bottom. Scroll back up to the 2nd file, hold shift and click that. Then finally, hit CTRL and click the topmost file. Now that all the files are selected, hit CTRL C to copy, then paste on your card.

• Like 2

Have all the files ready to go on your pc or somewhere other than your card. In Windows Explorer, click the name column to make sure they're alphabetically sorted, a on top to z on bottom. Then click on the file at the very bottom. Scroll back up to the 2nd file, hold shift and click that. Then finally, hit CTRL and click the topmost file. Now that all the files are selected, hit CTRL C to copy, then paste on your card.

Yes, This Method has been working fine for me as well, I can confirm this works.

Thanks!

I've added the entire Sega Genesis and NES collections, It just keeps going, If it has a page limit I haven't found it. I'm up to like 154 pages and still seeking and adding roms. My guess is, Once you cross the 16 gig line that's it. Sega Cd games will fill that card up quickly though.

Do you have the Sega and NES in the same folder (GAME)? Or can you put them in different folders on the same SD card? Just trying to figure out how to keep them separated but on the same SD card.

• Like 1

Yes, All

Do you have the Sega and NES in the same folder (GAME)? Or can you put them in different folders on the same SD card? Just trying to figure out how to keep them separated but on the same SD card.

yes. All Roms, This includes Game gear, Nes, Genesis, Mame, and Sega Cd and the Sega Cd bios files. All go in the GAME folder :) As far as keeping them organized, Alphabetical order is the best we can do, Consider a Mame Emulator, Multi console, There really isn't a way to separate the different console rom types.

It can be hell on a persons OCD, But, It's like a treasure box, It all just goes in there lol :)

Edited by Shadowprophet
  • Like 1

Having Now Tested Mame, Oh wow, The Simpsons Game, The Arcade one, And The original Street fighter. The xmen arcade fighter All those games and most of them run perfectly,

I don't know what else to Say but Thank you, Rmr_Md

The Simpsons Arcade game, The rare hard to find one, The Beat em up game I used to play as a kid, I can play that on the same console as Mario and sonic, And Sega Cd and Neo Geo, This is more than I ever expected out of this little box.

Thanks Again RMR_MD

Edited by Shadowprophet
  • Like 2

So can that Mame trick to play snes games be used in this Mame 2000 version?

There is no way to play SNES games... there is no core to load SNES games. It would be possible to add, but I would need to remove Mame 2000, and I'm not sure if the SNES core will run well on this hardware.

• Like 1

There is no way to play SNES games... there is no core to load SNES games. It would be possible to add, but I would need to remove Mame 2000, and I'm not sure if the SNES core will run well on this hardware.

Most people would disagree with me, But don't remove mame, It's way better than Snes ever could be :)

Edited by Shadowprophet
  • Like 2

SNES has another problem... The Legends Flashback controller has 7 buttons and SNES needs 8; We don't have a 'Select' button (Atgames was smart to map 'X' as 'Select' in QuickNES) even when using a 6-button Genesis controller with the 'Mode' button. Mode is mapped as 'menu' and there is no way to change that.

Oh... and being able to play TMNT, Simpsons and X-Men arcade in this device is so fun!

Edited by rmr_md
  • Like 2

I've tried 5 arcade roms (including Simpsons) -with rmr_md's firmware. I changed the extensions from zip to .zim, then dropped them in the GAME folder. They appear in the SD Card menu, but when I select them, there is a brief pause, then the screen returns to the Legends main menu. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Sega Master System and Game Gear worked like a charm though. Much appreciated, rmr_md!

• Like 1

I've tried 5 arcade roms (including Simpsons) -with rmr_md's firmware. I changed the extensions from zip to .zim, then dropped them in the GAME folder. They appear in the SD Card menu, but when I select them, there is a brief pause, then the screen returns to the Legends main menu. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Sega Master System and Game Gear worked like a charm though. Much appreciated, rmr_md!

Are you sure the arcade roms are for MAME2000? The romset for FBA or the current MAME is different from MAME2000. If you have RetroArch in your PC, you can install the MAME 2000 core and test yours roms before renaming and copying them to the SD Card.

You need to specifically search for Mame 0.37b5 Romset, I have a link to the entire set it's 2.4 gigs though. These Mame roms when renamed from .Zip to .Zim does work, Please make sure you are actually renaming the .extention and not the file title, You can not just put .zim in there. You have to Rename the file extension, From The Command prompt C:\Whereeveryourmamezipsare\Rename *.zip *.zim

This command will rename all the extensions in a snap. And they work well :D

Here are some photos I took Of Mame working, It runs perfectly btw :) https://ibb.co/7Qtxr5G

• Like 2

By the way, I've found a torrent link to the complete Mame 2000 romset, Anyone that wants it just PM me I won't post it publicly.

Let me get this straight. There is a mame 2000 emulator in the flashback or did this come with a firmware update? If it came with a firmware update, which one because the one I loaded was the one with Sega Genesis/NES rom support. I'm looking for more arcade games to play and this would be a great addition!

• Like 1

Let me get this straight. There is a mame 2000 emulator in the flashback or did this come with a firmware update? If it came with a firmware update, which one because the one I loaded was the one with Sega Genesis/NES rom support. I'm looking for more arcade games to play and this would be a great addition!

I have added MAME 2000 core to a 'custom firmware' for the Legends Flashback, you can download from this forum.

While it's not perfect (nvram folder is not being created, I couldn't find how to load samples, vertical games will be presented in 4:3, Mortal Kombat has a weird display issue), it's fun and most of the games work.

This custom firmware also adds support to load games using FBA; older games usually run fine, vertical games work and I think games using samples also work (I will double check it).

Figured out what I was doing wrong. Kind of new to MAME, so didn't realize that not all arcade roms are the same. I had tried using a set that was made available for the Super Retro Cade, but now I understand the rom set needs to be specific to MAME 2000. Thanks for your patience.

• Like 1

I've completed some tests regarding games with samples and both FBA and MAME 2000 can run these games.

For MAME 2000: Create a samples folder under the GAME folder and rename the samples with .zim extension (I've changed almost everything inside the core from .zip to .zim):

SDROOT > GAME > samples > invaders.zim

For FBA: You will need to copy the 'samples' inside a 'fba' folder under the 'GAME' folder. The samples should be in .zip format (the original samples are fine):

SDROOT > GAME > fba > samples > invaders.zip

• Like 2

Master System / Game Gear / Sega CD support is on them (Atgames), I've just unlocked the extensions to enable them to run from the SD Card. They deserve kudos for the job done with Firmware v2.6, I compared some problematic arcade games and Sega CD and it improved a lot with the latest firmware, they are not perfect, but are very good.

I noticed that SMS and Game Gear games are not recognized from the SD card of the Genesis Flashback model. Would you mind editing the latest firmware to recognize these other extensions (Master System, Game Gear, Sega CD) on the Genesis FB?

I noticed that SMS and Game Gear games are not recognized from the SD card of the Genesis Flashback model. Would you mind editing the latest firmware to recognize these other extensions (Master System, Game Gear, Sega CD) on the Genesis FB?

Take a look at the other thread here, I've shared where you can find the firmware for the Genesis Flashback.