IGNORED

Coming Soon! Drop in tactile switch controller boards

Osgeld

so let me ask, since i'm trying to rebuild a few myself.

would you still able to use the original handles even if they have stress cracks / pressure marks on them. I would think yes since there is much less pressure to active them.

does the fire button need to be modify.

if not this mod will able to give further life to these 40 yr old parts and saving $$ into buying new handles / fire buttons.

I'm surprised no one has stepped up to make this happen in the past since this is not a new type of mod.

I'll be in for a few sets myself.

If its not too out of whack it should work fine, and there is no mods that need to be done to the fire button

I did run into a problem with the models of CX10 that use the flat metal leaf springs though, the centers line up on the boards, but the black plastic part is offset by a quarter inch and does not actuate the switch. now there is another model using the black plate and uses snap domes, I have a picture of its PCB (to scale) and it also lines up with the board but I don't know if the plastic part is the same so this wont work with some CX10's and maybe not any of them ... if anyone has both styles and wants to compare black plastic plates please chime in but until then I have to retract a claim

!!TO SUMMARIZE THESE WILL ONLY WORK IN NEWER JOYSTICKS WITHOUT THE BLACK PLASTIC SPACER AND SPRINGS!!

meantime I am building up a batch and will throw it up on a store (cause managing sales of a limited product though PM is crazy when there is decent interest) sometime this weekend and will update this thread

Thanks everyone

post-35237-0-16105400-1541871816_thumb.jpg

post-35237-0-45345400-1541871823_thumb.jpg

post-35237-0-47090000-1541871830_thumb.jpg

post-35237-0-77118200-1541871837_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

well if you want to send me one of the button boards I can look into the feasibility of it (I can send it back pretty quick)

back to these, how do they play ... pretty good IMO but I have conflict of interest

they are clicky and you can feel that though the plastic, its not overly clicky but its there, the joystick and fire button dead zones are same as stock since the buttons are of the same height, it doesnt take much pressure to actuate so it feels lighter but its still intentional control, your not going to shake it and have it register, I am happy with it, hopefully others are as well

Edited by Osgeld

well if you want to send me one of the button boards I can look into the feasibility of it (I can send it back pretty quick)

back to these, how do they play ... pretty good IMO but I have conflict of interest

they are clicky and you can feel that though the plastic, its not overly clicky but its there, the joystick and fire button dead zones are same as stock since the buttons are of the same height, it doesnt take much pressure to actuate so it feels lighter but its still intentional control, your not going to shake it and have it register, I am happy with it, hopefully others are as well

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to trying a couple of these out.

Just placed my order !

I think any oem joystick should be reuild at this point in time,this is a great solution.

Now what to do with the old boards I'll be taking out ? mod them too? oem repairs.

Any one use the dome buttons from console5 ,which ones?

I have some new snap dome switches I am going to parcel out and stick online this afternoon, they are not a perfect fit but I have a ton of them and I have had them for years

for the 3 people who ordered already I will include dome switches, everyone else they are going on the shop shortly

Thanks

Edited by Osgeld

I got two boards in the mail yesterday! Thanks Osgeld! I did run into a slight snag though - I had four old Atari joysticks that Ive had for years and the first one I took apart the metal connector ends were too wide to stay on the replacement board and I ended up breaking two of the metal connectors trying to squeeze them down a bit. So, I just went on to the next one. The next one I opened up, the connectors fit great, and the next one I tried was the same as the first - too wide of gap on the connector, and then the last one i tried fit great. I hadn't realized there was that much variation in joystick connectors. All four of them had the dark brown board, but they all had different styles of dome switches.

Any thoughts on how to avoid this in the future?

The boards seem to work great though, very responsive!

I got two boards in the mail yesterday! Thanks Osgeld! I did run into a slight snag though - I had four old Atari joysticks that Ive had for years and the first one I took apart the metal connector ends were too wide to stay on the replacement board and I ended up breaking two of the metal connectors trying to squeeze them down a bit. So, I just went on to the next one. The next one I opened up, the connectors fit great, and the next one I tried was the same as the first - too wide of gap on the connector, and then the last one i tried fit great. I hadn't realized there was that much variation in joystick connectors. All four of them had the dark brown board, but they all had different styles of dome switches.

Take a pair of pliers and tighten the connectors a bit.

That is interesting I looked at the old stock samples I have and compared them to the new ones ... with guessing sticks calipers I was getting 62-63 thousandths thickness on both so I broke out the micrometer and a low of 61.4 and a high of 62.8 thousandths of an inch that's not a huge difference and 0.062 (1.6mm) is your bog standard circuit board thickness

In fact if I go one standard size up or down it nearly triples the price, let alone start dictating custom stack-up tolerances, so at the moment no I have no thoughts (other than gently crimping the connectors closed with pliers ... which doesnt help if they break )

The connectors look pretty similar to automotive style connectors (I did car audio installations professionally for almost 25 years) Im usually pretty good with a set of pliers or crimpers - Im guessing the metal has just gotten a bit brittle over the years and a little too much oomph breaks them. I ran in to that sort of thing on classic vehicles all the time. I did try to be gentle, but the metal did not want to give easily.

It would be just my luck to have the only odd sized connectors in existence! lol

I got a chance to put my new board into one of my looser sticks today. Really great! They *are* slightly "clicky" but the response time that the stick now gives me more than makes up for it. My test game was the XL homebrew "Space Harrier" because it calls for a lot of quick and varied movements. I found that I am not nearly as bad at this game as I thought I was! A responsive stick makes all the difference. I plan to order a few more boards when they come back into stock.

• Like 1

Product Review as follows: So I received the Boards over the weekend my first impression they look great and clean look.

I have a Vader Joystick "ring is black" the thing was dead, no fire and movement was barely working.

So my rebuilt parts are as follows: new spring,boot,handle and board,clean shell and put it all together.

The game I tested with was Defender, To my enjoyment the stick worked like new, well it should considering all parts changed. :D

The Fire button response was Great !!! Better than the new boards from Best, Yes I ordered from them too but online only !

The movement response was quick without much pressure and the Clicky noise barely noticed almost like "Best" domes

Also no problem with the connectors fit nicely snug, I did notice the Vader Sticks have a newer board compared to org. sticks prior.

So to sum it up, Get these boards they work great !! Thanks To Osgeld for making these now I hope they will last another 30 Yrs :grin:

Now that I remember the joysticks from playing when I was a kid were probably all broken back then, I remember now there was a lot of play in them.

post-66169-0-43759900-1542598073_thumb.jpg

post-66169-0-55113200-1542598103_thumb.jpg

post-66169-0-84471200-1542598134_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to ordering from the second wave...

if you request to be notified on my webshop you will know when there is more before I have a chance to post here

I ordered another 20 boards, if demand keeps up though the holidays I will do another batch of 40, I did kind of want some feedback before spending money on a second batch, hince the 2 week delay

in reality once I can judge demand I could keep up gap free until "the new" wears off (which happens in an item like this)

Edited by Osgeld