IGNORED

Dreamcast Half LifeGameplay Question

Hello all, I finally got a chance to play this and have been having a pretty darn good time with it. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change weapons on this thing. For example I will have a shotgun, then pick up some grenades. Ok, I use all my grenades, but I can't go back and use my extra shotgun shells I have. :x In the meantime, I'm fodder for those funky mutants. Does, anybody, anybody know how to change weapons? Or is it a case of good weeapons judgment at the time and good ammo hoarding? :? Anyway, thanks all and cheers.

you can change weapons, i dont remember how its done (lol) but i figured it out first time I played.... let me search for you... (no luck,)

There is also a really handy strategy guide for the dreamcast version that was sold, I bought one on ebay cheap about a year ago.

try using the L:R triggers in combination with other things, and dont forget the dpad

Hold the L trigger down and use left/right on the D-pad. This will change your weapon selection at the top. When the weapon you want is highlighted, hit the R trigger. Yeah, it's overly complicated.  

Good grief, I guess in my spastic button pushing that combo did not come up. Thanks Z I will definately give that a try tonight. Those face huggers won't stand a chance now. :D It's actually been a blast to play this, my 3 year old (who is a master at Sarges Heroes and Gauntlet) loves to watch. It's great to see us both jump when you turn a corner and one of those things jumps at you. Lol, I think it's the first game that has ever made me freak out out of surprise.

The button combination is not obvious at all.. it took me quite a while to figure it out, and it's a total pain in the butt to change weapons in the middle of combat. The control scheme doesn't seem very well thought out in this game. I would have rather had D-left and D-right simply change weapons immediately, and used the L trigger to jump.

But the real problem with this game is the load times. Nasty.

--Zero

well, I dunno. All I know is I figured out how to change weapons the first time I played, it was obviously such a non-issue that I didn't give it a second thought

I've been -really- impressed with it so far, it looks and plays great. The load times aren't so terrible once you are actually playing, but they are AWFUL when the game is starting. So far, it seems complete. Lots of music, voice, all the sound effects, etc. I'm at the point where the govt is trying to kill you and the scientists, just before you get the trip wire mines for the first time. I have yet to loose a single scientist :-)

I just got Half-Life for the DC today. I'd like to know what those of you who have played it think overall of this (admittedly unfinished) conversion.

It's definitely commercial quality... if this had come out in the stores, I would have bought it. And I think it essentially is finished. I think the only thing left to do was mass produce, ship, and market it... everything that is missing from the game was stuff that was axed to meet deadlines.

There is no multiplayer whatsoever. No networking ability, nor are there 2-4 player modes... so if you like deathmatch, you'd be better off sticking with Quake III or Unreal Tournament. I like the single player mode best in this game anyways, so this wasn't a big deal.

I'm actually quite surprised the game runs as well as it does. There's very little slowdown (although it does happen once in a while). Strange that a 200MHz Dreamcast runs the game much better than my 400MHz computer :roll: Of course, all the levels are the same, all the enemies, weapons, sounds, etc are all there and unchanged. Blue Shift is a great addition to the game, although the novelty is a little watered down since they released Blue Shift for the PC as well (So much for Dreamcast exclusive). Blue Shift is also rather short compared to the normal quest. You can save on a VMU, and use passwords to skip to certain levels if you want (as well as cheats and such).

As I said before, the load times suck. I think it loads just as often as the PC version, but the CD is kind of slow. I wonder if a GD-Rom would have sped up the load times much. Luckily, it's not such a big deal, since it doesn't load right in the middle of action. The intro is positively brutal though... it's so damn long, and has to load about 10 times. Make sure you have a good 15 minutes or so before starting the game, and make sure you save right after you get out of the stupid train thing. This enormously long, unskippable intro pissed me off on the PC too. I guess it establishes mood and such, but it's still far too long.

The controls feel a little clumsy, but it's hard to do an FPS properly on a game pad... luckily, the game fully supports the keyboard and mouse. If you want to get into this game and really enjoy it, I'd really recommend picking up a mouse and keyboard (I found my pair pretty cheap, and they were definitely worth it). If you've only ever played games like Goldeneye and Halo on consoles, this might not be a big deal, but I can't stand using a pad to play these games.

--Zero

• 17 years later...