IGNORED

Atgames sega flashback 2018 edition is out in the wild.

That's what a quick Google search suggested, along with some mentions of delays until 2019. Would be neat to see if this one is out in the wild, though. As much dunking as AtGames gets, and sometimes deservedly so, they are trying. They've produced more classic consoles than I have, so I have to at least give them props for that.

I can confirm they are available in US. I've just got one from my local Fry's near Dallas.

It's interesting that they are being sold together with the 2017 version.

I hope the "firmware fairy" can release the sd card unlock for it soon.

Edited by rmr_md

I took a picture of them side-by-side... the box is almost identical...

It has the same games listed in the FCC site: https://fccid.io/2AMTQ3680SEGA18

I need to test more, but it seems that they are using the same cartridge dumper from the 2017 model. I could read Streets of Rage 2, but Sonic 3 doesn't work.

post-64033-0-10811100-1541975243_thumb.jpg

Edited by rmr_md
  • Like 2

While the console is not easily accessible like the 2017 version, It may be hackable after we learn how the SD card works.

It has a SD Card slot, so it should accept 'updates' like the Legends Flashback and Atari Flashback 9. If we learn how to change the 'payload' inside the updates, we may have the doors opened to load other games or understand how to improve the emulation - I'm still trying to define what's wrong with the sound, but it definitely has some slowdowns, I think they set it to 48Khz where 44Khz should be more than enough.

Edited by rmr_md

Interesting. One would think Bill would have said something at this point, but perhaps they are doing a soft release and/or cannot officially comment on this product. Either way, the situation concerning the Sega Genesis mini is very intriguing to say the least.

I took a picture of them side-by-side... the box is almost identical...

I need to test more, but it seems that they are using the same cartridge dumper from the 2017 model. I could read Streets of Rage 2, but Sonic 3 doesn't work.

• Like 1

*sigh* this thing is surprisingly locked down. I wanted to make cfw for this but there is very little entry points to be able to do anything for this. truly a shame, since this thing runs retroarch.

also to add i have mixed feelings about this device. the lack of a usb port that responds to adb commands or device detection really blows. (usb devices , dongles etc dont react in anyway when connected either) being able to add a hard drive to last years model was a bunker busting feature (albeit unintended. Also not to toot my own horn but once the cfw was done for last years it was pretty ok for a 40-50 dollar device (if picked up second hand at a goodwill or something)

that being said i guess for most folks this device will be ok if they want an ok-ish genesis clone.

sound is much better than last year. although oh boy i am surprised how much people seem to dislike this device.(particularly when told about this years iteration)

Edited by WD_GASTER

*sigh* this thing is surprisingly locked down. I wanted to make cfw for this but there is very little entry points to be able to do anything for this. truly a shame, since this thing runs retroarch.

According to that (old) libretro twitter, they are not really using retroarch but only licensed the libretro API portion that is used by Genesis Plus GX (the emulator core) to interact with retroarch (the frontend). They apparently developed their own libretro frontend and surely already had their own GUI (is there any screen of the new user interface or is it identical to 2017 model?)

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1040341977009717248

Interesting. One would think Bill would have said something at this point, but perhaps they are doing a soft release and/or cannot officially comment on this product. Either way, the situation concerning the Sega Genesis mini is very intriguing to say the least.

My guess is that AT Games 2018 model was planned long before Sega MD Mini announcement but then, when Sega discovered overall awful public reaction after AT games incidentally implied they were involved in upcoming Sega MD Mini release, they decided to manage development themselves and pick local developers for the software instead of reusing ATGames software.

I think it was always planned to be two different products, one for Japan market, the other for western market, with maybe some licensing clauses to avoid competition between the two products. This situation change would also explain why Sega also announced a western release for MD Mini was now planned since they aren't bound to AT Games software anymore.

I'm still trying to define what's wrong with the sound, but it definitely has some slowdowns, I think they set it to 48Khz where 44Khz should be more than enough.

Most likely, they did not change the CPU specs and it struggles running the more accurate sound emulation full-speed, which is quite a shame if true :-/

Edited by philyso
  • Like 1

I gave my Genesis Flashback 2018 another try, and my second experience has been much better. The sound seems much better to me today, without the slowdowns I had in my first attempt playing it.. The only thing I've changed in my setup is that I'm using a regular power adapter instead of pluging into an USB port in my TV. Since these mini consoles are SBCs, they may have some current constraints.

Now I'm waiting for the 'update' to enable SD Card to play a few other games. I reviewed the other updates, and they have basically 2 files: a sdcard_config.ini, which enables the SD Card, and a retroplayer.ini, with settings for RetroArch cores. there is also some files with partition table which makes impossible to re-use the update from Atari Flashback 9 or the Legends Flashback.

While this new Flashback HD is not as fun to mod as the 2017 version (I've been planning to make my experiences with it public soon) it is a solid "Genesis mini", with a good emulation and great controls.

• Like 3

I was curious and found the following changes from the 2017 model:

New Genesis games:

Champions World Class Soccer

Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja

Judge Dredd

Side Pocket

Super Real Darwin

Bonus games re-added that were not on the 2017 model:

Bottle Taps Race

Chess

Warehouse Keeper:

Bonus games deleted that were on the 2017 model:

Adventure in the Park
Bubbles Master
Cross the road
Curling 2010
Jack’s Pea
Jewel Magic
Plumbing Contest
Wall-Breaking
Now I'm curious if the interface on the 2018 model has improved from the much-maligned one on the 2017 model.
  • Like 2

Interface is pretty much the same but they changed/fixed the navigation keys. You can navigate between categories using "up" and "down" (no more B and C), and you have pages in each category. We have now only 3 main categories (Sega Games, Sonic Games and Bonus Games), and they moved the "bonus games" to the end of the list in the main category. I can take a couple of screenshots if you want to see it, but It's much more intuitive than the 2007 model.

• Like 1

Interface is pretty much the same but they changed/fixed the navigation keys. You can navigate between categories using "up" and "down" (no more B and C), and you have pages in each category. We have now only 3 main categories (Sega Games, Sonic Games and Bonus Games), and they moved the "bonus games" to the end of the list in the main category. I can take a couple of screenshots if you want to see it, but It's much more intuitive than the 2007 model.

Awesome! Losing that B and C silliness was my main concern. Will probably pick one of these up someday, especially if that SD card slot becomes useful. :-)

ok if the "firmware fairy" does not release anything we may have an alternative here:

I posted a challenge in gbatemp as i am not particularly great with math but i would appreciate it if anybody did here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/atgames-sega-flashback-2018-edition-is-out-in-the-wild.522990/page-3

posting it here for folks to make sense if possible:

the following are the offsets to the nand for the device:
it seems to be recognizing it as a 256mb device (which if they managed to fit it in there... impressive)

CMDLINE:console=ttyS2,115200 androidboot.selinux=disabled earlyprintk init=/init initrd=0x62000000,0x00800000 root=/dev/rknand_rootfs rw rootwait mtdparts=rk29xxnand:0x00000800@0x00000800(misc),0x00004000@0x00001000(recovery),0x00000800@0x00005000(boot),0x00000800@0x00005800(resource),0x00002800@0x00006000(kernel),0x00007000@0x00008800(rootfs),0x0001E000@0x0000F800(rom),0x00004000@0x0002D800(emulator),-@0x00031800(data)

the sector where the partition starts and then the block count. if you look at the data partition (the last one) the partition start is known. it doesnt know what the block count would be.

@asper did a write up on making sense of this here: https://www.mdfbrew.org/tutorials:backup_original_partitions (this is for last years model but still applies here) I made an arbitrary block count dump and managed to learn that its 132mb however I am not sure what the block count equivalent would be and I am also heading to bed as I have work to do tomorrow. so if anyone wants to tackle this challenge, be my guest clear.png if we get the right block count, in theory the sd file that needs to have the value set to 1 to enable the cfw should do the trick.

MVAHNx9.jpg

well im tired and burnt out. before anybody asks, this is just as annoying as the arcade flashback legends when it comes to get it to detect sd cards... (i see people voicing sd card detection issues with the arcade flashback legends)

i must have gone through 5 sd cards and no avail to get it to be detected by the stupid console but the cfw is up and running!

i will keep wrestling with this contraption tomorrow. cheers!

• 2 weeks later...