IGNORED

School me on flashbacks

Yes, there is. The most obvious change between the two is that 'AtGames' is no longer emblazoned on the top next to the cartridge slot, but is not etched into the console on the top lower right hand corner. There are a couple of other differences between the two, but not much.

I'm sure this was covered on the Sega Genesis flashback devices (the HD models, 2 so far) but is there a dead obvious way to tell the units apart? I read that there was, but not what it was because the 2nd revision seemed to function better.

Well that is a start if I tried to scoop one up new or second hand, the box should show it, definitely the system in a half decent camera phone pic of the unit itself. Having it part of the plastic in the lower right part of the face/top of the console would be an obvious change from bit white atgames text near a cart slot.

I'll have to go and look into what people feel really got fixed between the two models as I remember people saying nicer stuff. I'm just kind of half wanting a genesis around again, figure a cheap console like that which can handle an everdrive would be a smart move. Minimal investment and I won't feel guilty or not if I only used it now and again than getting into the mess paying top dollar for it all.

I see many on ebay with the etching in white, but this one, second hand unit here on ebay that looks to be the lower right corner molding for atgames which is the 2018 version not the original from 2017. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis-Flashback-HD-Game-Console-w-Wireless-Controllers/303036615482?hash=item468e63cb3a:g:lcQAAOSwXepcPhwj:rk:6:pf:0

Edited by Tanooki

If you wanting something that can handle an everdrive, the new AtGames model can't do it right out of the box. I would look at the Hyperkin MegaRetroN HD. It can play everdrives and even can play Virtua Racer. I would recommend that over the AtGames console unless you want/need built in games, which I imagine you don't.

Well that is a start if I tried to scoop one up new or second hand, the box should show it, definitely the system in a half decent camera phone pic of the unit itself. Having it part of the plastic in the lower right part of the face/top of the console would be an obvious change from bit white atgames text near a cart slot.

I'll have to go and look into what people feel really got fixed between the two models as I remember people saying nicer stuff. I'm just kind of half wanting a genesis around again, figure a cheap console like that which can handle an everdrive would be a smart move. Minimal investment and I won't feel guilty or not if I only used it now and again than getting into the mess paying top dollar for it all.

I see many on ebay with the etching in white, but this one, second hand unit here on ebay that looks to be the lower right corner molding for atgames which is the 2018 version not the original from 2017. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis-Flashback-HD-Game-Console-w-Wireless-Controllers/303036615482?hash=item468e63cb3a:g:lcQAAOSwXepcPhwj:rk:6:pf:0

If you wanting something that can handle an everdrive, the new AtGames model can't do it right out of the box. I would look at the Hyperkin MegaRetroN HD. It can play everdrives and even can play Virtua Racer. I would recommend that over the AtGames console unless you want/need built in games, which I imagine you don't.

Ahem

https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/

• Like 2

Well, there are Honda and Ferrari models, that's for sure :grin:

Hyperkin Mega RetroN HD is $46

Analog Mega Sg is $189

Chevy Spark is 13,000 <--- here's your Hyperkin Mega RetroN HD :grin:

Lexus 350 is $43,000

the cheapest Ferrari starts at $214,000

Here's a nice new Honda Accord for $35,000, which more closely resembles the Mega Sg

post-2410-0-54151500-1548347196_thumb.png

If the Analog Mega Sg is a Honda Accord, it has to be one with a 2.0T, not a hybrid IMO.

Still, I appreciate the banter and (all comparisons aside) believe that the RetroN HD is a better deal than the 2018 AtGames Genesis HD at the same (relative) price. However, both are not even in the same league as what the Analog Mega Sg is going to be putting out, that's for sure.

Finally, a side note, but I actually own a Honda Accord Sport. However, it has the 1.5T and not the 2.0T. Those 2.0T models just too rich for my blood at the current time :(

Hyperkin Mega RetroN HD is $46

Analog Mega Sg is $189

Chevy Spark is 13,000 <--- here's your Hyperkin Mega RetroN HD :grin:

Lexus 350 is $43,000

the cheapest Ferrari starts at $214,000

Here's a nice new Honda Accord for $35,000, which more closely resembles the Mega Sg

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-01-24 at 11.26.03 AM.png

• Like 1

Yeah I'm aware of that hypercrap genesis HD box they made too. The thing is, the 2018 flashback does have SD card support and runs pretty much everything, though not virtua racing, but I mis-spoke forgetting that SD card fact so an everdrive wouldn't even be needed. All it needs is that firmware update on the site to allow the side loading of games. The Mega SG is just too damn expensive for me as my interest is more passive than caring enough to get back into it with a kit or real carts again. The stuff atgames put on the thing as it is are some great games, but I would side load the Konami and Capcom goodies, Dune 2, and Star Control come to mind.

• Like 1

Yes, very true, the AtGames model does have the SD card. Honesty, I think it looks like a pretty good product as it seems they have addressed a lot of the issues from last year's model. Personally, I don't think you go can go wrong picking one up as a lot of others have been happy with it from what I have seen.

Yeah I'm aware of that hypercrap genesis HD box they made too. The thing is, the 2018 flashback does have SD card support and runs pretty much everything, though not virtua racing, but I mis-spoke forgetting that SD card fact so an everdrive wouldn't even be needed. All it needs is that firmware update on the site to allow the side loading of games. The Mega SG is just too damn expensive for me as my interest is more passive than caring enough to get back into it with a kit or real carts again. The stuff atgames put on the thing as it is are some great games, but I would side load the Konami and Capcom goodies, Dune 2, and Star Control come to mind.

It's hard to come by some really powerful thorough review of it which bugs me, the 2017 B+ effort keeps showing up. I've picked up mostly just third party here say about what some have said about it to others but nothing too much in quantity/quality direct. It says as you and I said, happy to have it unlike the first try in HD.

I would think of it could be picked up around $60 it would be worthwhile. I know it still has some slight audio being off in select games, Sonic 3 being one with a bit of scratchiness to it, but that's nothing compared to that atrocious firecore debacle.