IGNORED

Diskless Xbone in 2019

Flojomojo

I think the opposite will be true. The internet and cloud storage makes it more likely today's games and media will be available 20+ years from now. Think of it this way, what is easier to find today? A physical copy of Air Raid or Nintendo World Championship, or a ROM? I am guessing that in 20 years it will be easier to obtain a ROM of Forza Horizon 4 or Super Mario Odyssey and play it on 2040s equivalent of a $35 Raspberry Pi and emulator than it will be to find physical copies and working systems of each game. (Of course there will still be XB1 and Switch around 20 years from now, I am just speculating it will be easier to download the ROMs like it is today)

Physical media is what gets lost over time. Paper in books decaying, film decaying, etc. It seems to me that most museums and archivers are digitizing old physical media to preserve whatever information that media contained rather than making new hard copies.

Yeah those physical game carts all have backups made, illegal or not. Nintendo's own virtual console games had ines headers. Thanks, pirates, for illegally archiving this game so I can legally reaquire it and charge money for it! :ahoy:

Cloud storage is unreliable. The servers will eventually get shut down. Only benefit to digital files is ease of copying, however you have drm hurdles to jump over. An encrypted file is worthless without an unlock key. Don't expect modern discless systems to be easily hacked like previous generations.

Yeah those physical game carts all have backups made, illegal or not. Nintendo's own virtual console games had ines headers. Thanks, pirates, for illegally archiving this game so I can legally reaquire it and charge money for it! :ahoy:

Cloud storage is unreliable. The servers will eventually get shut down. Only benefit to digital files is ease of copying, however you have drm hurdles to jump over. An encrypted file is worthless without an unlock key. Don't expect modern discless systems to be easily hacked like previous generations.

those cloud games will only exist as long as someone thinks they can make money off them. So less popular games will just disappear never to be seen again. unfortunately companies are terrible at keeping their own games with many many games even not having source code available even to this day.

• Like 1

Yeah, the reason those old games are available now digitally is due to pirating, and the fact there was a physical copy. Many games from the 80's that were digital only are gone though. There wasn't a lot, but there were some game line games that disappeared when the service shut down (games over cable, or phone, don't remember, for 2600 and intellivision) I played a ton of stuff through bbs back then that you can't get now too. Heck, rogue? That's so known that modern same games are called roguealikes, yet you can't get that game? There's modern stuff delisted all the time, you can't get marble blast ultra anymore, which is to bad cause it's a great game, and one of the few digital I actually paid for, but to rip off my Xbox is beyond my knowledge base lol.

Too games will always be available, and probably rerereproduced too, but take a tiny step in any direction and it'll disappear quickly.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...