IGNORED

FB 9 Paddles

The primary reason I am interested in the retro Atari scene is paddle games like Warlords and Kaboom! The second reason is to play those games with friends at gatherings. Particularly Warlords.

No other modern system has paddle support to make playing these types of games via emulation. (outside of using a PC and stelladaptors.) All those systems have the ability to play joystick games pretty faithfully with existing controllers.

FB8 was pretty good (I had some weird glitching after only a few games in of Warlords that crashed the system.) and I was looking forward to FB9 and SD Card support to be able to add Medieval Mayhem.

However it looks like they used special paddles and haven't made extra paddles available for 4 player games?

I guess over all I'm frustrated with the year after year incremental improvements but with sub-par systems and design choices. (The new one seems to have the joystick stop working on the menu.)

I'd get it if they were $19.99, but I think I paid around $80 for the FB8 Activision Gold last year.

• Like 1

Where did you see joysticks stop working on the menu?

At least after a botched and kinda rectified patching process, the Player 1 stick seemingly just stopped being recognized after I let it sit for several minutes. Also, on an unmodded unit, navigating the in-game menu has some instances of not performing inputs when entered, lagging or skipping around (the latter I assume from the unit catching up).

At least after a botched and kinda rectified patching process, the Player 1 stick seemingly just stopped being recognized after I let it sit for several minutes. Also, on an unmodded unit, navigating the in-game menu has some instances of not performing inputs when entered, lagging or skipping around (the latter I assume from the unit catching up).

Was this a Flashback 9 or Flashback 9 Gold unit?

• 1 year later...
On 12/27/2019 at 2:13 PM, Christina Kraft said:

Where do i get paddles for FB9 gold?

Atgames never made compatible paddles.

Either the console can be modified to use standard Atari paddles (https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2019/10/15/hardware-mod-to-support-standard-paddles-on-atari-flashback-9-and-9-gold/) — not really an easy thing to do, unless you or someone you know can do repair work on cellphone sized electronics — or you can modify standard paddles by replacing the potentiometers:

Photos of my first modification here:

Modifying the console is a better solution, however it also seems that the recommended resistor values (510k) may not be optimal:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/297925-flashback-9-paddle-hardware-modification-question/?do=findComment&comment=4405811

• 3 weeks later...

I myself got a pair of FB9 HDMI-modded paddle controllers from this same guy and they are AWESOME!!! They even work with the ROMs on my SD card I use on it, highly recommended!!!

Here is an updated link to get a set of your own:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paddle-Controller-Pair-for-Atari-Flashback-9-HDMI-Console/264586452299?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Now, when is somebody gonna want to modify Atari or Wico 2600-compatible trak-ball controllers to work with an Flashback 9 HDMI unit???

I DO have a CX-80 Trak-Ball ready for modding if anyone wants to take that on and has success doing trak-ball mods in the past, I want to play games like Centipede, Millipede and Missile Command the way they should be played.... with a trak-ball!!!