IGNORED

Zoo Keeper (2600, Champ Games)

johnnywc

I suspected this might pop up when we moved to the new phosphor effect method. The new way really is more authentic and like how a real system works, and the old way was a kind of hack. But that 'hack' has been around for so long that people got used to it, and now it doesn't look the same as the new way.

Yars' Revenge is the perfect example. Many people over the years have commented that the display is rock-solid in Stella and looks very good. But the truth is that the display shouldn't be rock-solid; on a real TV there is flicker, which Stella now emulates.

As Thomas suggests, please create an issue for this. Generally, I'm not opposed to trying to adding an option to 'idealize' this, even though it will be technically less accurate. But due to internal code changes, going back to the old way might not be possible. Maybe we can come up with something else?? ...

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'll create an issue this evening. I haven't brought it up because 60 fps is technically the correct way to record these. But there are times YouTube will still choose 30 fps for a 60 fps video (usually due to bandwidth constraints) and the 60 fps stuff looks terrible the way they convert it.

One possibility (which I'll mention in the issue) is keeping the current method, but adding an option to change how many frames the phosphor effect lasts for. So instead of it diminishing by the same amount for each frame until the effect disappears, being able to truncate that to fewer frames. So you could have a higher phosphor effect, but not have it trail off for as long.

• Like 2

Update: Thanks to Nathan, we now have animal sprites (and I got them running around the cage). He's also updated the bonus item graphics (and I have the timer semi-working).

Here's a link to the WIP in action. Apologies in advance for the sub-par video quality, this looks much better on Stella and a real CRT. I may have to let the professionals (Nathan :)) handle the video captures going forward :D

Zoo Keeper (2600) WIP - animals in action!

EDIT: Here's a screenshot (thanks TJ!) showing 12 animals on the perimeter (max 16 in the arcade). I have some ideas on how to reduce flicker (sprite copy on top/bottom and sprite merging on the side) ... it also looks much better in motion, especially on a CRT!

post-30-0-91993100-1544217728.png

Up next: having the animals spawn in the middle cage and have them try to break thru the bricks. :)

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 17

Update: Thanks to Nathan, we now have animal sprites (and I got them running around the cage). He's also updated the bonus item graphics (and I have the timer semi-working).

Here's a link to the WIP in action:Zoo Keeper (2600) WIP - animals in action!

Up next: having the animals spawn in the middle cage and have them try to break thru the bricks. :)

Looks awesome, Nathan!

• Like 2

Question: how are you gonna show Zeke on the sides of the zoo walls? From what I know of the 2600, it seems like he'd lose detail, since colors are layered by rows on characters.

We're most likely just going to keep him facing left/right (like in the video) or perhaps add in sprites that show him moving up / down (like the chef in Burger Timer when he's moving up/down a ladder). The loss of horizontal resolution (8 pixels vs 16) plus the fact that we can't use multiple colors would mean a pretty ugly Zeke if we went with the arcade-like solution. Since the change is just aesthetic (he will still jump the same way and collision detection will be the same) it's not a huge loss IMO; I'm sure people will get used to it pretty quick (I already have! :D).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The only way to play Atari is on an old CRT TV! I have mine hooked up to a late 70s RCA.

The screen looks great! I always wanted a home version of Zoo-Keeper. There was one in a 7-11 near my house and I played it a lot. It was a great game, but as far as I know, it was never ported to a home system.

• Like 3

I just looked over the thread and I am floored. I never thought we'd ever get a port of ZooKeeper, and here we have a WIP that is one of the most gorgeous 2600 games I have ever seen. Damn. Bravo!!

Thanks! We're taking a bit of hiatus from Zoo Keeper development to focus on Wizard of Wor Arcade, but we'll be returning to this very soon. Stay tuned for updates! :)

• Like 7