IGNORED

Atari 7800 CX78 Joypad Is Awesome

blainelocklair

Hi everyone!

Just a quick note to say how much I love my newly-purchased CX78 joypad. This controller completely redefined my gameplay experience on the 7800. Went from a Painline controller that died to a 2600 controller without the 2nd button to the CX78. Absolutely love it.

Bought it NOS from Brad at Best Electronics. He has less than one box of them left, so if you've been entertaining the idea of getting one, now is the time before they are gone. You'll love it.

Note: I'm not a celebrity and not a paid endorser, although I am open to being both. :)

Blaine

post-65909-0-60136300-1543858380_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I bought some of these a while ago and felt that the rubber membranes on these are too tall, so the travel on the d-pad and buttons is too much making it really hard to be quick and accurate, and the case is too hollow. If you're not careful, an edge of one of the buttons or the d-pad can get jammed under the top housing. Also - they feel like they are made out of an Aero bar. Way too light for my tastes.

I bought some of these a while ago and felt that the rubber membranes on these are too tall, so the travel on the d-pad and buttons is too much making it really hard to be quick and accurate, and the case is too hollow. If you're not careful, an edge of one of the buttons or the d-pad can get jammed under the top housing. Also - they feel like they are made out of an Aero bar. Way too light for my tastes.

Thanks for the heads-up about the buttons and the housings. I will be sure to watch for that. So far, so good.

-Blaine

• Like 1

I found the CX78s to be a bit too small for my tastes. They are uncomfortable (for me) for lengthy gaming sessions. They look cool, though, and are definitely better than the PainLines. A better solution for me has been the Seagull 78 adapter from Edladdin with a Sega Genesis controller. I can even make the jumps in Scrapyard Dog now ?.

• Like 1

I like them just fine and bought one after those horrible prolines would give me hand cramps and would break so easily. Garbage. I still prefer using modified NES pads for my 7800. I'd love to get one of the Eladdin 7800 Super 78 arcade sticks but the price, currency difference and shipping would make it too expensive.

Hi everyone!

Just a quick note to say how much I love my newly-purchased CX78 joypad. This controller completely redefined my gameplay experience on the 7800. Went from a Painline controller that died to a 2600 controller without the 2nd button to the CX78. Absolutely love it.

Bought it NOS from Brad at Best Electronics. He has less than one box of them left, so if you've been entertaining the idea of getting one, now is the time before they are gone. You'll love it.

Note: I'm not a celebrity and not a paid endorser, although I am open to being both. :)

Blaine

Hi Blaine, I too had CX78 joypads back when I still had my 7800. They are much better than that crapline joysticks that come with the 7800. Enjoy your games and have fun.

Hi everyone!

Blaine

Are you missing the screw-in thumbstick or did you opt not to use it? And have you confirmed the 2nd Fire Button is working? The reason why I ask is because apparently Atari Corp - at least in Europe - modded some of them to only use 1 Fire Button when they packed them with the 2600jr over there in the waning days...

Hi, Lynxpro.

It came with the screw-in thumbstick attached. I just felt it was more comfortable without it. I tested it with Karateka, which requires two buttons to play. Both buttons work great.

As noted in the posts above, the CX78 isn't a perfect fit for everyone. I like it, and appreciate that they are NOS and original Atari hardware. Works great for me!

- Blaine

• Like 1

It came with the screw-in thumbstick attached. I just felt it was more comfortable without it.

If you don't like the thumbstick, I would be interested in buying just that piece from you. One of my two CX78s is missing its stick. Thanks.

I like the joypads. As I have gotten older, I tend to use those more than the Prolines, which do hurt my ancient, 37 year old hands. I also have a converted NES pad I use sometimes. Once they're available here again, I will order the Edladin adapter for the Genesis. I also use some 2600 quickshots with suction cups, a 2600 controller, and a 7800 arcade stick I bought from the Goatstore years ago. There is no system I have so many options (and need so many) as the 7800.

If you don't like the thumbstick, I would be interested in buying just that piece from you. One of my two CX78s is missing its stick. Thanks.

SS, if you can get it 3D scanned, or if anyone owning one of the thumbsticks is willing to do it, that would greatly help enthusiasts. Just like the battery compartment door for both the Lynx I and Lynx II need to be 3D scanned to cut down on unscrupulous ePay sellers trying to charge $60 for that simple piece of plastic. :)