IGNORED

Brand New Atari Flashback 9 Won't Load / Play Games

Just bought an Atari Flashback 9 yesterday at my local Walmart. The menu displays fine and controller seems to be working. I can select games but when I hit the "fire" button to start the game, the screen just flashes and it takes me right back to the game preview screen (I guess this is what you'd call it) where I was. If I use the small Start button on the controller or the Start button on the console, it does nothing at all.

I thought maybe I had just gotten a game with a "glitch". Went back today and exchanged for another. It does the same thing.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

If you are trying to play games included on the console, then you are doing nothing wrong. It could be that the item is defective. If you are trying to play games off the SD card, there could be an issue with the card or roms you loaded. If it is the first one, then take the unit back and exchange it for another one. Is this the Flashback 9 or the Flashback 9 Gold edition?

• Like 1

Thank you for the help. I am just trying to play the games already on the console. No SD card. This is actually my second one. I bought one yesterday. I thought, like you, that it was probably defective. I took it back today and exchanged for a new one. It is doing the same thing. I have emailed At Games customer service. He asked me for the brand and model number of the monitor I am trying to play on. I guess he is thinking that maybe certain monitors / displays are not compatible. But what gets me is that it displays everything fine. I can scroll through the menu of games, select games, etc. It just won't play them. I am about to try to hook it to my TV and see what it does. It's got me stumped. Seems like if there's ever a problem no one has had before, I'll have it! LOL.

Thanks again!

It was actually a brand new monitor that I had bought just to play the game on. It was HDMI compatible and I figured it would work. Maybe it has to be played on a TV? I'm new to this stuff. I have a Roku hooked to the extra HDMI port on my TV and wanted a monitor just to play the game on but I guess it doesn't work that way. Guess I'll just have to pluh and unplug to switch between Roku and the game system. I really appreciate your message help and your replying to this thread.

It was actually a brand new monitor that I had bought just to play the game on. It was HDMI compatible and I figured it would work. Maybe it has to be played on a TV? I'm new to this stuff. I have a Roku hooked to the extra HDMI port on my TV and wanted a monitor just to play the game on but I guess it doesn't work that way. Guess I'll just have to pluh and unplug to switch between Roku and the game system. I really appreciate your message help and your replying to this thread.

You're welcome. Now do yourself a favor and upgrade the firmware so you can play additional games from the SD card. THIS thread will tell you how to do it.

Thank you for the help. I am just trying to play the games already on the console. No SD card. This is actually my second one. I bought one yesterday. I thought, like you, that it was probably defective. I took it back today and exchanged for a new one. It is doing the same thing. I have emailed At Games customer service. He asked me for the brand and model number of the monitor I am trying to play on. I guess he is thinking that maybe certain monitors / displays are not compatible. But what gets me is that it displays everything fine. I can scroll through the menu of games, select games, etc. It just won't play them. I am about to try to hook it to my TV and see what it does. It's got me stumped. Seems like if there's ever a problem no one has had before, I'll have it! LOL.

Thanks again!

I have a sound issue with mine that no one else here has so you're not the only one!

Thanks atarifan88. Thanks for the link. I do have an SD card and plan on upgrading. Still just re-living my childhood with the games that are preloaded right now. LOL.

Don't know if it helps you any, Atari Nut but today, I had no sound. Just turned the power off and then back on and I had sound again. However, now I have a "crackling" sound when playing games. Maybe it will be gone next time I play. I've turned it off again and probably won't play anything else until tomorrow.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...