And began his assault with unparalleled fury
Octonium bombs wrapped up like presents
Dropped from the sky to make things unpleasant
Our defenses were holding but only just barely
As Galactopus pummeled our force field unfairly
So we sent up a spaceship to chase him away
And maybe, just maybe, save Christmas day

galactxmas_1.png

The back story: I started this a couple of years ago but stopped working on it as the concept evolved into Ms. Galactopus. I dug it out the other day and started fiddling around with it, thinking that maybe finishing this would help inspire me to actually finish Ms. Galactopus. I guess we'll see if that happens.

Galactopus flies across the sky dropping his octonium "presents." Shoot them before they hit the force field. Every bomb that hits the force field weakens it a little. If a bomb gets through after the force field is gone, Christmas is ruined and the game is over. I ended up bumping this game up from 2k to 4k so there's a lot of ROM left. I don't think I'll add anything to the gameplay. Instead I'll use that space to stuff in as many Easter eggs as I can think of.

galactxmas.bin

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I hope these presents came with gift receipts! :-D

Anyway, it's cute and fun. The only thing I thought as I was playing it is that it would be good if the force field changed color or brightness when it was hit to show the damage before it vanishes.

The only thing I thought as I was playing it is that it would be good if the force field changed color or brightness when it was hit to show the damage before it vanishes.

It should be becoming a paler shade of blue with every hit. Too subtle maybe? I'll take another look at it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be playing A Very Galctopus Christmas on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream tonight on Twitch at 6PM PT/9PM ET! Hope everyone can tune in to watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

UPDATE! Link to VIDEO:

Edited by cimmerian

• 4 years later...

I already own the first two Galactopus games, and I absolutely love them. I even put together a YouTube video of my son and I playing Galactopus a few years ago. 

https://youtu.be/N9m14C8VLyk?si=Drfsm_prFxO8yR2g

I'm a huge fan of Christmas hacks and I was wondering if you would be okay if I can put this hack onto cartridge for my Xmas Hack collection.

7 hours ago, Skwrl63 said:

I'm a huge fan of Christmas hacks and I was wondering if you would be okay if I can put this hack onto cartridge for my Xmas Hack collection.

Great video! You absolutely may make a Galactopus Christmas cart (just be sure to post a pic so I can see how it turned out).

13 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Great video! You absolutely may make a Galactopus Christmas cart (just be sure to post a pic so I can see how it turned out).

I kinda wish Galactopus had a Santa hat on in the game.

(Disguised as a Santa, Galactopus tries destroying cities by sending down bombs disguised as Christmas Presents....lol)

Thanks...... Was there any official Label art? If not no biggie, I can definitely come up with something

Edit:

(A buddy of mine just sent me a few Ideas that I think would make a awesome label so I might use that).

I'll share a photo when I get one made😎

Edited by Skwrl63

5 hours ago, Skwrl63 said:

Was there any official Label art?

No, I never made any art for it other than the graphic at the top of the thread.

5 hours ago, Skwrl63 said:

I kinda wish Galactopus had a Santa hat on in the game.

I can't remember anymore if I tried putting a hat on him and didn't like how it turned out or if I just never even tried adding one for some reason, but I'm sure at some point I thought about it. Sprite flicker might have been an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it isn't even Thanksgiving yet, but I want a copy of 'a very galactopus christmas' cartridge.

And where are all the Thanksgiving games? "Turkey Shoot" is an obvious name for a thanksgiving themed game.

I am just thankful that our founding fathers did not make the turkey our national bird. They are very dumb; I actually saw one drown in a pond a few years back.