IGNORED

Vectrex SD Cart?

adamchevy

the VecMulti was the only actual SD solution I'm aware of. But Richard isn't involved with that anymore to the best of my knowledge and I'd heard was no longer really part of the Vectrex scene. That is why the VecFever was so high in demand when Thomas released it. But I'd heard that he wasn't really expecting or prepared for the influx of requests for the VecFever as he had designed that more for developer use and not general flash cart use.

I'm not aware of any in development flash like carts for the Vectrex right now. The only other possible solution would be the Mateos Vectrex flash cart. Works like the 7800 16 in 1 cart in that you have only a few banks where you can load in game data and you have to use the rotary switch to switch between the games. But he too appears to have disappeared from the scene currently if the 7800 flash cart thread is any indication.

• Like 1

the VecMulti was the only actual SD solution I'm aware of. But Richard isn't involved with that anymore to the best of my knowledge and I'd heard was no longer really part of the Vectrex scene. That is why the VecFever was so high in demand when Thomas released it. But I'd heard that he wasn't really expecting or prepared for the influx of requests for the VecFever as he had designed that more for developer use and not general flash cart use.

I'm not aware of any in development flash like carts for the Vectrex right now. The only other possible solution would be the Mateos Vectrex flash cart. Works like the 7800 16 in 1 cart in that you have only a few banks where you can load in game data and you have to use the rotary switch to switch between the games. But he too appears to have disappeared from the scene currently if the 7800 flash cart thread is any indication.

Well hopefully something will become available in the future. I guess multicarts are the only option for now.

I did mention the Mateos cart. But in the 7800 sections he apparently still hasn't replied to requests to order products via email going on several months now in some cases. Last time I spoke with Mateos was when I found out that my burner/dumper doesn't seem to work right for actually dumping Vectrex games. It creates gibberish and he had offered to send me a replacement. But...never did. In the end I believe a work around was found so I could still use it to dump my vectrex games. Just required some hex editing magic the dumps afterwards.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I did mention the Mateos cart. But in the 7800 sections he apparently still hasn't replied to requests to order products via email going on several months now in some cases. Last time I spoke with Mateos was when I found out that my burner/dumper doesn't seem to work right for actually dumping Vectrex games. It creates gibberish and he had offered to send me a replacement. But...never did. In the end I believe a work around was found so I could still use it to dump my vectrex games. Just required some hex editing magic the dumps afterwards.

have one for sale.

Mateos MVRMC-16 Vectrex USB Flash Cart in Cart Shell + MVBD Burner Programmer
#Vectrex #USB #Flash #Cart

A USB cable is complicated? LOL

I think he meant in that you have to use the dumper/burner module on it attached to the cart to copy the rom file over to. It is somewhat more complex since it doesn't play well with windows versions above 7 for the most part and the added use of the dumper/burner module does make it more complex than say sticking in an SD card to copy files over to it, or in the case of the VecFever, just plugging it into windows via USB and it appears as a removable storage device you can copy stuff too. Even in Windows 10, the VecMulti and VecFever are much easier to use than the mateos solution.

I personally don't have any issues with the Mateos carts and love the one I own for the 7800. But it did require me to create a batch file I have to run each time I want to erase the data from one of the banks to prevent the windows10 crap from causing issues. Even then it still sometimes screws up and I might have to run it a few times.

• Like 1

But it did require me to create a batch file I have to run each time I want to erase the data from one of the banks to prevent the windows10 crap from causing issues. Even then it still sometimes screws up and I might have to run it a few times.

I am thinking about buying Mateos kit. Can you share your batch file?

I am thinking about buying Mateos kit. Can you share your batch file?

Have you actually been able to get a confirmation from Mateos on if you can place an order?

If you do end up getting a Mateos cart I will see about providing the batch file. But the file was made specifically for me my 7800 Mateos 16 in 1 cart so I don't know if the Vectrex cart works the same way on how to copy files over? Also, my batch file is setup for a specific drive letter that I had to assign to the Mateos when plugged in so the batch file would work properly. So my point is that the batch file would most likely have to be modified for your use.

But again, you have to get ahold of a Mateos vectrex flash cart first.

In all versions you need to strip the header, just use the web based tool. in the 7800 version you need to chnage the extension to match the mapper version. In all versions you need to be mindful of the file size but it's not hard really to ....

1) figure out which games you want to put in and make sure they are all within the same banksize.

2) strip the rom of the header using ROM tool

3) select first slot

4) connect cartridge to ROM burner/dumper.

5) plug in burner to usb slot

6) copy (drag'n'drop) rom into new volume

7) wait a few seconds to make sure ROM is copied

8) unplug USB and more dial to next slot

9) repeat starting at step five until all are occupied or you are done adding.

I prefer this cart for my lynx because there are only few titles I don't have on original cart. For the 7800 it's really the only option, at least on the vectrex there are the multicart solutions. Overlays definitely add to the experience you'll have plenty of hours of vector fun on a pre setup multcart.

I have a vec multi which has been great for homebrew that doesn't have physical release yet but as mentioned previously these are no longer being made.

I also have a Vectrex32 cart which is an interesting cart, one day I too hope to have a VecFever as this is the holy grail of vectrex flash carts at the moment.

Have you actually been able to get a confirmation from Mateos on if you can place an order?

If you do end up getting a Mateos cart I will see about providing the batch file. But the file was made specifically for me my 7800 Mateos 16 in 1 cart so I don't know if the Vectrex cart works the same way on how to copy files over? Also, my batch file is setup for a specific drive letter that I had to assign to the Mateos when plugged in so the batch file would work properly. So my point is that the batch file would most likely have to be modified for your use.

But again, you have to get ahold of a Mateos vectrex flash cart first.

Not confirmation yet From Mateos / Hackermesh.

I was looking at the one on eBay in lieu of a direct purchase.

In all versions you need to strip the header, just use the web based tool. in the 7800 version you need to chnage the extension to match the mapper version. In all versions you need to be mindful of the file size but it's not hard really to ....

1) figure out which games you want to put in and make sure they are all within the same banksize.

2) strip the rom of the header using ROM tool

3) select first slot

4) connect cartridge to ROM burner/dumper.

5) plug in burner to usb slot

6) copy (drag'n'drop) rom into new volume

7) wait a few seconds to make sure ROM is copied

8) unplug USB and more dial to next slot

9) repeat starting at step five until all are occupied or you are done adding.

I prefer this cart for my lynx because there are only few titles I don't have on original cart. For the 7800 it's really the only option, at least on the vectrex there are the multicart solutions. Overlays definitely add to the experience you'll have plenty of hours of vector fun on a pre setup multcart.

I have a vec multi which has been great for homebrew that doesn't have physical release yet but as mentioned previously these are no longer being made.

I also have a Vectrex32 cart which is an interesting cart, one day I too hope to have a VecFever as this is the holy grail of vectrex flash carts at the moment.

Yes this is the way it is supposed to work. But if you have Windows 8 and especially with Windows10, this doesn't work right. Namely because Windows creates a volume file on the flash drive and that tends to take up most of the space so you aren't actually able to copy the files over. My batch file removes this volume file if present under an elevated command windows in the background using the old Attrib function etc to make the file visible and delete it. You can do it all manually of course but then that takes a while and I've had the damn file create itself again in the process of exiting out of the command window and back to explorer. So it isn't quite this simple in most cases with the more recent OSes. I've heard it is a challenge on the newest Mac OS as well.

• Like 1

Yes this is the way it is supposed to work. But if you have Windows 8 and especially with Windows10, this doesn't work right. Namely because Windows creates a volume file on the flash drive and that tends to take up most of the space so you aren't actually able to copy the files over. My batch file removes this volume file if present under an elevated command windows in the background using the old Attrib function etc to make the file visible and delete it. You can do it all manually of course but then that takes a while and I've had the damn file create itself again in the process of exiting out of the command window and back to explorer. So it isn't quite this simple in most cases with the more recent OSes. I've heard it is a challenge on the newest Mac OS as well.

For Windows 8 and Windows 10 I took a different approach to using the "ATTRIB" command. There are a couple Windows systems services that can be managed to prevent writing of pesky extra file and folder to removable drives.

First I previously documented method referenced on Mateos' web site to not allow removable drives to be automatically added to libraries. (https://web.archive.org/web/20180503134808/http://www.vectrex.hackermesh.org:80/index.php/en/mvbd-mvmc-3/faq-2)

In addition to disabling search indexing of the removable drive, a few of other steps are needed. They do not hurt the operating system. But if you index and search your drive(s) like I do then you may want to use the temporary disablement option instead of a permanent one so that you can continue to search normally afterward.
Permanent Disable Option:
Disable stop the "Windows Storage" and "Windows Search" system services.
• Tap the "Windows" key.
• Type "services.msc".
• Using the mouse, Right-Click on the application and select "Run as administrator".
• Scroll down to the service named "Storage Service" and double-click on it.
• Click on the field "Startup type" and select "Disabled.
• If the service is running, click the button labeled "Stop".
• Click the button labeled "Apply".
• Click the button labeled "Okay".
• Scroll down to the service named "Windows Search" and double-click on it.
• Click on the field "Startup type" and select "Disabled.
• Close the Services tool.
Just to be safe reboot.
Temporary Disable Option:
Temporarily stop the Windows Store and Windows Search system services.
• Tap the "Windows" key.
• Type "services.msc".
• Using the mouse, Right-Click on the application and select "Run as administrator".
• Scroll down to the service named "Storage Service" and double-click on it.
• Scroll down to the service named "Windows Search" and double-click on it.
• Close the Services tool.
After writing to Mateos flash cart then reverse the procedure and start the the two services.
Alternatively, one or more script file(s) with elevated system privilege might also be used to temporarily stop/start the Windows Storage and Windows Search system services while writing to Mateos flash drive.
Services and their names to control:
Display name: Storage Service
Service name: StorSvc
Display name: Windows Search
Service name: WSearch
Below are some commands options that might be used in a Windows script file to control the services. Bear in mind these commands need to be run with elevated privileges (administrator level privileges) in a batch, command, or PowerShell script.
Stop the services using the "NET" command:
NET STOP StorSvc
NET STOP WSearch
Start the services using the "NET" command:
NET START StorSvc
NET START WSearch
Stop the services using the "SC" command:
SC STOP StorSvc
SC STOP WSearch
Start the services using the "SC" command:
SC START StorSvc
SC START WSearch
Stop the services using the PowerShell "Stop-Service" command:
SC STOP StorSvc
SC STOP WSearch
Start the services using the PowerShell "Start-Service" command:
SC START StorSvc
SC START WSearch
Edited by Vectrexer

Yes,

I actually went through the first described steps to disable the search indexing of removable media. But...it did nothing as I still had the phantom hidden volume files appearing regardless. I verified the registry options etc were all in place, but no dice. That is why I resorted to the Attrib function and deletion commands in a batch file to take care of it for me. Just a quick click on the batch file and it runs in the background and just like 2 seconds later I can copy whatever I need to the selected memory bank.

It seems like I have to mess with this every few months after a few Windows updates but always end up getting it working. I'm glad I got one of these when I did as all of these flash carts end up being impossible to find. I traded a bunch of stuff (too much) for a VecMulti but it is not as easy to use for development.

I'm also looking to buy a 7800 cart and new burner from Mateos. Hopefully he pops up soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wasn't letting go of mine either! ;) I wouldn't at all mind having a backup cart, to keep with my other spare Vectrex or incase my original one breaks. I'm in no hurry though.. let the other folks who don't have a Vectrex SD flash cart at all, get a chance to own one. Nonetheless, consider me interested! Real glad you're re-releasing these, Richard. :thumbsup: