IGNORED

Sega Gen 1, CD, 32x and Power base converter....HOW ?

TheCoolDave

Hey all,

I'm lost here, so just wondering how to get this all to work. The RULES for my setup...

1. It's going to be SCART to my Framemeister, I can have 1 cable.

2. No swapping cables in the back, really want to avoid swapping cables, etc (the switching system will be hidden from view, so no access unless major changes)

I was going to do a huge post on details on this....but, let's make it easy with pictures ! ! !

I have this setup... Yes, I opened my brand new Sega 32x today with the original toys r us slip from 11/16/1996 (I dropped in the box after I got it). It's not about the value, it's about the games :)

I have this all wired up, Sega Genesis carts, CD and 32x games work perfect(well as good as they can for composite...for now) :)

SEGA%20Genesis%201%20CD%201%2032x%20fron

I want to use this and play some even more classic games....

mega-drive-sega-genesis-power-base-conve

So, if I pull off the 32x (not disconnecting any cables) and drop on the Power base converter, I get audio but, no video. I put the 32x back on and this wont fit (cables in the back).

So how do I play master system games with out swapping cables and adapters on this setup ?????????

And I have a Model 2 but, I love my ORGINAL(this is my teens original Genesis, Power base converter and CD setup) and will not change. I have a Megadrive x3 and I know I can play roms but, I have original games for a reason.

Ideas ?

Edited by TheCoolDave

There isn't much you can do. The power base converter won't work through the 32x. So the 32x has to be removed in order to use it. That means that the video out has to come from the Genesis itself in order to see the master system games through the power base converter. The only option I can suggest is to get a power base mini instead. But I don't know if that will still work through a 32x. Basically the power base mini is the same thing as the power base converter except that it is genesis cartridge sized so you plug it into the genesis and then plug the master system games ontop of it. Looks very much like using a Game Genie.

https://stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini.html

• Like 3

There isn't much you can do. The power base converter won't work through the 32x. So the 32x has to be removed in order to use it. That means that the video out has to come from the Genesis itself in order to see the master system games through the power base converter. The only option I can suggest is to get a power base mini instead. But I don't know if that will still work through a 32x. Basically the power base mini is the same thing as the power base converter except that it is genesis cartridge sized so you plug it into the genesis and then plug the master system games ontop of it. Looks very much like using a Game Genie.

https://stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini.html

I don't think that'll work, either. Master System games don't even work off an Everdrive while the 32X is connected. Here's what I get when I try to start a game (in this case, US release of Sonic the Hedgehog) while my 32X is connected. Maybe it's caused by the Everdrive (an X5 in my case) but I think it's the 32X BIOS saying no.

I think I'd just buy another Genesis just for Master System games. :D

post-61495-0-49918200-1544240893_thumb.jpg

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 2

Well that just completely sucks., My main goal was to play the Phantasy Star game on it. Or even the Retranslation of it via my Everdrive So even that wont work.

They do make a Sega A/V 1 style to 2 adapter. I could leave it plugged into the 32x, and just swap cables in the back of the unit to play it, Something I didn't want to do but, as long as they can be hidden.

This is what I am talking about..

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/32x/32X-PATCH-CABLE-WITH-FEMALE-9-PIN-DIN

There is too many cables between this whole setup anyway, 3 power cords is crazy.

I guess I will need to setup a Master system in my cabinet ….

Edited by TheCoolDave

Well that just completely sucks., My main goal was to play the Phantasy Star game on it. Or even the Retranslation of it via my Everdrive So even that wont work.

They do make a Sega A/V 1 style to 2 adapter. I could leave it plugged into the 32x, and just swap cables in the back of the unit to play it, Something I didn't want to do but, as long as they can be hidden.

This is what I am talking about..

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/32x/32X-PATCH-CABLE-WITH-FEMALE-9-PIN-DIN

There is too many cables between this whole setup anyway, 3 power cords is crazy.

I guess I will need to setup a Master system in my cabinet ….

There is a solution but you might not be that interested in it?

First how are you wanting to view games from the Genesis/power base side vs the 32x side? If you are wanting RGB for both, then swapping cables is pretty much the only choice. But if you were willing to live with say...s-video from the Genesis/power base side then you could get the Genesis modded with an S-video output on it. This way you could connect the Genesis and power base combo as its own console setup using s-video. This would allow you to leave the AV cable connected to the 32x and then when you want to play 32x you just have the 32x plugged into the Genesis using your AV selection for that. Take the 32x off and pop the powerbase in for SMS games and switch over to that setup using s-video.

Either way you have to remove the 32x in order to play SMS stuff on the Genesis. My method would mean even more wires, but then you don't have to actually switch anything out. Even with the s-video connected off the Genesis, you wouldn't see it with the 32x attached since you would have your AV setup switched to that cabling. I basically have the same option on my Genesis in that I have separate RCAs on the back for audio and composite plus an S-video out I added. That was my connection setup before I started down the RGB route. Now I just leave my 32x always plugged in and have HDretrovision cables off that to my setup. But I could still attach the s-video off by itself and leave it connected as a separate AV console if you will.

Make sense?

Also on the power supplies..there are solutions for that as well. One is that there is a not so difficult hack that would allow the Genesis power supply to actually provide power to the Sega CD without needing to use an adapter on the SegaCD. But I don't advise this due to the extra power strain on the Genesis power supply doing this. Or, there are 3rd party companies that make all in one adapters with all three power plugs on them to a single switching power supply so you only need one outlet to power all three. I have something similar with a modified GameCube power supply that is the one and only power supply for my Genesis model 1, 32x, and Model 1 Sega CD from a single outlet. Had it for years and it works great!

• Like 1

Afore the record I have 3 Genesis systems...2 HI Def model 1 and a model 2

I’m taking the fact that the Power Base Converter is not going to work if I wanted to keep the 32x connected. I am accepting that fact. I DO want to be able to play SMS games via my gen Everdrive x3. I don’t have one for the master system and there is homebrew and custom games I want to try. If a $25 cable allows it time to time. I might as well hook up a Master system as it can do RGB with no mods.

i see your point of a by pass fo S-Vedic like your talking...makes complete sense.

After seeing a console through the Framemeister in RGB and playing for a bit...I’m sold. NES and later component, HDMI or RGB..no S-video. I was blown away on how good it looked. Still in wow a day later. I never knew a SNES could look that good( the system I tested In RGB)

I DO need to find out more on at GameCube power cord mod. I just saw one option for a single cord but it was $60 plus $12 for shipping.....ouch !

Edited by TheCoolDave

Honestly I think my Genesis/32x/SegaCD combo through the HDretrovision cables via component to the OSSC looks the best of any of my consoles including the Saturn and SNES through RGB SCART.

I actually purchased my modded Gamecube supply setup from an AA member here whose wife used to make these up. I think I only paid about $35 - $40 shipped for it at the time? I know they used to offer getting one even cheaper if you supplied the components needed like a Cube power supply along with the other cable setups. Doing this you could get one made up for model 1 Genesis/32x/model 1 CD as I did or go with a Model 2/32x/SegaCD setup. My only issue with it (No fault of who made it), was that the power cables from the cube supply to the Genesis stack was a tad shorter than I would have liked. But I made it work.

Another though on this multi AV setup...

Could just have another RGB mini-din etc added in tandem onto the Genesis. This way, you have the cable from the original AV out through the adapter needed for the 32x. And you would have another RGB video out for just use with the Genesis and Power base setup.

• Like 1

Here’s the thing...If go what am now thinking...adding a master system to my setup. I only want to use SMS games on the EverDrive every once and a wile. Running a model 2 SCART cable to the 32x...and that little adapter I linked to should do the job for every one and a while.

inputs on the SCART switch could be limited and it complcates the remote setup..(I am obsessed with automating things)

my setup will be a model 1/first CD device/32x....just as picture above :)

is is there a diagram for this power supply thing ? Anyway about it...I need one of those in my life :)

Not seen a diagram, but I'm sure it wouldn't that difficult to make. Just need the right bit to open up the cube power supply along with the wires you need with the right plugs or you could sacrifice the wires and plugs from 2 or 3 actual Genesis power supplies etc. From there you remove the original power cord from the supply to the gamecube and splice the other wires in the place of it. No real isolation between them would be needed but you would have to make sure that the SegaCD and Model 1 cables were wired in with center tip negative while 32x and model 2 supplies are center tip positive. Gamecube power supply puts out 13v steady with 3amp output.

I believe the same could be done with a PS2 slim power supply as well.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 1

Just remember the model 2 and 32x use a different size power plug. The center diameter post is smaller on those in addition to the reversed polarity.

My setup is going to use a Model 1... and older Sega CD...

Funny, I was playing with the 32x tonight(remember only using composite right now, SCART cable on order), and it was giving a rainbow affect on all games.. Any idea ?

I have a model one on its own and a model 2 / 32x / CD in my component set up specifically so I can use the Master System roms on my Mega Everdrive (and my model one plus Everdrive are less finicky about dealing with some Euro roms). 'Twas cheaper than dealing with getting a Master Everdrive, altho' I have a SMS set up via component, as well.

• Like 1

You need to take a pic of the rainbow effect. In my experience the 32x basically removes most of the video issues that the model 1 suffers from since all the video is going through a new encoder on the 32x and then back out to your TV setup. That is why some people add s-video to their 32x and then leave it attached because it provides a much cleaner s-video out than the genesis by itself would normally and pretty much removes the jail bars as well.

So, yeah I'd like to see the 32x video output you are talking about here...

You need to take a pic of the rainbow effect. In my experience the 32x basically removes most of the video issues that the model 1 suffers from since all the video is going through a new encoder on the 32x and then back out to your TV setup. That is why some people add s-video to their 32x and then leave it attached because it provides a much cleaner s-video out than the genesis by itself would normally and pretty much removes the jail bars as well.

So, yeah I'd like to see the 32x video output you are talking about here...

(We talking about this via PM, so this is public response)Well, I did some testing. I was using the Framemeister. I tried it on my Cheap-o eBay S-video/Composite to HDMI adapter. The colors seem fine on it. So it must be a setting in the Framemeister...

I ordered a SCART cable for Sega model 2.... So it goes into the 32X...It should resolve the problem..

I've bene looking over diagrams of the wiring for the Model 1 and Model 2 connectors (going to drive myself freaking nuts with this !)...maybe I can build an adapter...

I think I am going seriously crazy with this... anyone know a shrink with reasonable rates ? :)

Edited by TheCoolDave

I have a model one on its own and a model 2 / 32x / CD in my component set up specifically so I can use the Master System roms on my Mega Everdrive (and my model one plus Everdrive are less finicky about dealing with some Euro roms). 'Twas cheaper than dealing with getting a Master Everdrive, altho' I have a SMS set up via component, as well.

Thanks for your reply. My "childhood" Sega Model 1 is what I am using, yes, 100% original.. I have a Model 2 system but, I refuse to use it for my primary setup because I have my original system... I just cant do it. It's my system...and there is a VERY long story how I got this system...very long...and I will not publicly say.

I know it would make it SOOOO much easier using a Model 2 because I could just pull the SCART/TV connection out of the 32x and drop it in the Model 2... I completely understand... but, I just cant do that.

Edited by TheCoolDave
  • Like 1

I know it would make it SOOOO much easier using a Model 2 because I could just pull the SCART/TV connection out of the 32x and drop it in the Model 2... I completely understand... but, I just cant do that.

You can get most of that convenience and keep your OG system by getting a model 1 to model 2 video cable adapter. The HDRetrovision one (intended for use with their component cables) might be a little spendy but it works great on a 32x passthrough cable. So then you can still just pull the one plug and swap out the 32X when you want to play Master System games.

• Like 2

You can get most of that convenience and keep your OG system by getting a model 1 to model 2 video cable adapter. The HDRetrovision one (intended for use with their component cables) might be a little spendy but it works great on a 32x passthrough cable. So then you can still just pull the one plug and swap out the 32X when you want to play Master System games.

Oh, that is only $11... It's a lot cheaper than other options I have seen. I might just grab that one, as that looks what I could use...

EXACTLY what I needed.... Ordered one...

Oh.....this brings up another question. The 32X takes audio in... but, the Gen one connector does not do Audio. So how would I get stereo audio to a SCART cable with this setup ? CRAP should not of ordered it yet.

Edited by TheCoolDave

Oh.....this brings up another question. The 32X takes audio in... but, the Gen one connector does not do Audio. So how would I get stereo audio to a SCART cable with this setup ? CRAP should not of ordered it yet.

Castlemania has exactly what you need for that, too. You might need to return the one you bought if it doesn't have the 1/8" jack. Remember that 32X passes audio through the cartridge slot and it gets mixed by the Genesis' on-board amp and passed back through the pass-through cable, and only THEN does the audio come out of the system. Since all audio goes through the Genesis, you use the 1/8" jack to get stereo out of the whole shebang.

edit: I have a Genesis model 1, CD model 2, and 32X. The only audio out I'm using is the headphone jack, and it's stereo and everything is there, including CD audio and 32X sounds.

Edited by derFunkenstein

And while grabbing audio from the headphone jack does work, it isn't properly designed as line level out for connecting into an AV system. Just one of the many reasons I added RCA separate outs on the back of mine.

Also I'm sure Castelmania is excellent...but why not get that other cable direct from the source at a slightly cheaper price?

https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/sega-genesis-model-1-rgb-scart-cable/

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 1

And while grabbing audio from the headphone jack does work, it isn't properly designed as line level out for connecting into an AV system. Just one of the many reasons I added RCA separate outs on the back of mine.

Also I'm sure Castelmania is excellent...but why not get that other cable direct from the source at a slightly cheaper price?

https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/sega-genesis-model-1-rgb-scart-cable/

Didn't realize Insurrection sold their cables directly. That's pretty great.

Castlemania has exactly what you need for that, too. You might need to return the one you bought if it doesn't have the 1/8" jack. Remember that 32X passes audio through the cartridge slot and it gets mixed by the Genesis' on-board amp and passed back through the pass-through cable, and only THEN does the audio come out of the system. Since all audio goes through the Genesis, you use the 1/8" jack to get stereo out of the whole shebang.

edit: I have a Genesis model 1, CD model 2, and 32X. The only audio out I'm using is the headphone jack, and it's stereo and everything is there, including CD audio and 32X sounds.

I will be using SCART to get RGB out of this system. I don't want/cant to run 2 SCART cables, limited ports.

How can I address this issue ? So the 32x needs a 2 style connector, the Gen 1 needs a 1 style cable. The Gen 1 style cable does not carry audio (or if it does, it's only mono). The Gen 2 style cord has stereo audio. I don't believe it pulls it out on the 32x, needing to run a stereo set of cables from the CD system.

Do they make a type 2 SCART cable where i can import the audio from RCA jacks (or min pin that I can break out) ? Then I can use this adapter, as the audio will be coming from the mixed audio from the CD player... I think this is really what I need.

Or does ANYONE know the pin outs on the SCART cable? so I could clip the audio pins, sodder in a set of RCA L/R cables, and run them right to the CD. This sounds like it will solve all my issues...

So in a nutshell.....Run a Type 2 SCART cable, pull audio from the CD player (with a RCA mod to the SCART cable), when I want to use the GEN for SMS or other, I disconnect from the 32x, add this adapter, I get video from the Gen and sill will have audio running from the CD output.

This sounds like the perfect thing and would give me the most flexibility wile STILL being able to use the 32x...

Is this even possible ?

Edited by TheCoolDave