IGNORED

HSC15 Round 21: Chopper Hunt !

therealbountybob

Chopper Hunt

Don't worry Buried Buck$ fans Chopper Hunt is a later version of the same game!

From the comments it's either a re-release or might have some improvements, it has a higher rating than Buried Buck$ on atarimania. Either way let's put it through a HSC session and see what we can find :)

chopper_hunt_2.gif

Info Atarimania

Fandal has XEX

Round closes Sunday 23rd December 10am UK Time

Round 20 remains open for catch-up scores from rounds 1-20 (until the end of this round)

Have fun!

p.s. still working on Ski-It v1.2

• Like 3

It was all going well then I sprung a leak - even if you have loads of choppers left it's curtains :D

post-19705-0-89648300-1544482576.jpg

I didn't remember being able to shoot up or the shooting thingy that appears so now I need to check BB again! Not the most exciting game but worth a few goes. The BB atarimania comments mention the exploding routine in an Antic/Analog mag, if anyone knows which one pllease let me know and I'll see if I can use it :grin:

80,109 (11)

• Like 2

The review for Buried Buck$ in Electronic Fun with Computer & Games, October 1983 wasn't overly positive. Paul Backer rated it 2.5/4 and found it to be boring, going too quickly from ridculously easy to impossible and that despite the graphics are good, it doesn't help gameplay. Perhaps Chopper Hunt was reworked to have a more even difficulty ramping and features? I haven't played either so I can tell, but I suppose one idea is to play both versions separately and see for yourself how much differs.

Tom himself posted back in 2009 regarding Buried Buck$ and Chopper Hunt:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/132851-hsc-5-contest-21-buried-bucks/?p=1705220

Aha, Chopper Hunt was also released for the C64, while obviously Buried Buck$ never was. Perhaps that prompted them to update the game as it was simultaneously ported. The entry on MobyGames says:

You are still a helicopter but now the treasure you are after looks different for each level. For example, level one you are after barrels of oil, level two is green money bags, level three is nuclear symbols (uranium, I suppose), etc. You must still bomb the ground to dig a hole to reach the treasures and the plane is still dropping giant clods of dirt to fill in the hole, and maybe bury you. When you gather a treasure, you must still land on your base to claim it. If you are destroyed before you return to base, you drop the treasure. You can only carry one treasure at a time. After you collect all the buried treasures, you move on to the next level. There background has also been spruced up. There are mountains, a cloud and a sun. The plane has been altered from a bomber to a fighter jet.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/chopper-hunt

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

The BB atarimania comments mention the exploding routine in an Antic/Analog mag, if anyone knows which oine pllease let me know and I'll see if I can use it :grin:

The Atarimania comments on Chopper Hunt includes a link to Tom Hudson's web site where he mentions the routine was found in ANALOG Computing #8, so go ahead and look it up!

http://analog.klanky.com/8bit.htm

• Like 1

It was all going well then I sprung a leak - even if you have loads of choppers left it's curtains :D

attachicon.gifChopper Hunt 80,109.jpg

I didn't remember being able to shoot up or the shooting thingy that appears so now I need to check BB again! Not the most exciting game but worth a few goes. The BB atarimania comments mention the exploding routine in an Antic/Analog mag, if anyone knows which oine pllease let me know and I'll see if I can use it :grin:

80,109 (11)

Level 11 :-o

Thanks for the posts everyone, some good info as usual from carlsson :thumbsup:

@Zylon BB is ok too, thanks for playing.

@graywest you fill your boots, tell you what we'll leave the catch-up round open until the END of this round just to make it interesting ;)

• Like 2

Managed to rope in another player for a two player game.

Second helicopter a rather nice shade of green :-)

Each player plays a round and if completed the next play has a go, and vice a versa.

This game would of been cool if both players were scraping on the same screen together.

:thumbsup: Take a look at Shadow World it's great fun 2s up. I think the game didn't let 1 player get too far we did play it here a long time ago.

Imagine a version with a smaller helicopter so you coukd really get tunneling. I've always liked tunneling and flood game. I really ought to learn to code :)

Buried Bucks destructive landscape model would make avgreat worms type clone.

Or a side on sinking ship game that you got escape with all the corridors, rooms getting flooded ss you move up the screen.

and

Mrs RT

42748 on Chppoer Hunt

Edited by RedThunder

Just thought I'd login to post a "bl**dy hell Mckong" :thumbsup: :D

Checked out the Scorched Earth link above - the game Michael Jones' Battle Trivia Page 6 PD Disk #DS35 has a round of this among other mini battles; it's fun if you have a couple of people on each team - even non game players can just about handle it :)