IGNORED

Poor quality third party Sega Genesis controllers on the market

HDTV1080P

I am having major problems trying to find a Sega Genesis game controller that matches the quality of the original official Sega Genesis controller. Since Sega no longer makes brand new game controllers for the Genesis system, my goal was to find a Sega Genesis compatible controller that matched or beat the quality of the original official Sega Genesis controller. I might have to settle with a used official Sega controller.

I have tried at least 3 or 4 different brands of controllers and they all have problems. I ordered 3 Sega compatible controllers directly from China with free shipping, and instead of getting compatible Sega controllers that I ordered, the Chinese company ended up sending me counterfeit Sega controllers with the official Sega logo printed on the controller (I get upset when some companies ship me counterfeit products). To make matters worse the controllers did not operate correctly and ended up in the trash since the 8 directional control pad broke off.

I also tried a brand new Sega compatible controller in the retail box from a USA dealer. However the quality of the controller was poor and the 8 directional control pad broke off and the controller was smaller than the original. Therefore, I returned that Sega compatible controller.

I also tried a brand new in the retail box Sega Genesis Hyperkin controller which is double the cost for around $10 each. However even though that controller was almost the same physical size and feel of the original Sega controller, the problem is when playing Ms. Pacman, especially during the start of the game, the controller eight directional pad would not respond to up or down actions. In addition, the original Sega controller worked perfectly fine during Ms. Pacman but so far I have not found a third party controller that works ok with Ms. Pacman.

What is the deal with the third party Sega controllers? It is like everyone or almost everyone is only interested in making a cheap quality Sega controller and not interested in the actual quality of the controller.

I have tried around 4 different brands of controllers now, and nothing beats the original Sega controller (The Pioneer Laseractive Sega controller is the same quality but no longer available). Has anyone ran into any third party Sega controllers that matches or beats the quality of the original Sega controller?

If the answer is no to the above question then I am going to need to purchase a used Sega Genesis controller or find a rare new one. It looks like there is no third party Sega Master system controllers being sold, and instead one just uses the Sega Genesis controller on a Sega Master system.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The very best third-party controller right now is the Hyperkin you didnt like. FWIW the GN6 has been good for me so maybe you got a dud. Every other one (including Retro-bits current line) is total trash.

If you want something else wait for the licensed ones to come out or wait for the 8bitdo M30. At this point I wouldnt expect the licensed ones to ship before January even though they were supposed to be out last month.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

I personally only use original 1st party Sega controllers with my Genesis systems. I find that the original 3-button controller is about the best more reliable controller pretty much ever made with a d-pad on it. I like using the 6-button more but I do think the original 3-button is the most reliable bar none. I've never gotten a bad used 1st party 3-button sega controller and I've got a lot of them. I've had 2 bad 6-button controllers. But they were the crappier Majesco era released versions that came with the model 3. They are thicker and just feel horrible to me to use. And they aren't aren't very reliable either. Not sure what fails in them as it isn't the cabling...but something on the main board within them.

Also I must be pretty lucky in that I can usually find 1st party sega 3-button controllers for about $4 locally and the 6-button version for between $4 - $8. I've not actually tried the hyperkin 6-button controller but I know that is all the retro stores around me will sell new.

I personally only use original 1st party Sega controllers with my Genesis systems. I find that the original 3-button controller is about the best more reliable controller pretty much ever made with a d-pad on it. I like using the 6-button more but I do think the original 3-button is the most reliable bar none. I've never gotten a bad used 1st party 3-button sega controller and I've got a lot of them. I've had 2 bad 6-button controllers. But they were the crappier Majesco era released versions that came with the model 3. They are thicker and just feel horrible to me to use. And they aren't aren't very reliable either. Not sure what fails in them as it isn't the cabling...but something on the main board within them.

Also I must be pretty lucky in that I can usually find 1st party sega 3-button controllers for about $4 locally and the 6-button version for between $4 - $8. I've not actually tried the hyperkin 6-button controller but I know that is all the retro stores around me will sell new.

I've been using the 3-button pad a lot with an extension, although I have a Joyzz that I also really like. The 3-button is just so comfortable to hold for long sessions, and unless you're playing a fighting game, you don't need the rest of the buttons.

I'm interested in the M30 and have one on pre-order but that's still months away. The new official ones aren't interesting, though. I don't trust Retro-Bit to make a good controller, Sega license or not.

The very best third-party controller right now is the Hyperkin you didnt like. FWIW the GN6 has been good for me so maybe you got a dud. Every other one (including Retro-bits current line) is total trash.

If you want something else wait for the licensed ones to come out or wait for the 8bitdo M30. At this point I wouldnt expect the licensed ones to ship before January even though they were supposed to be out last month.

I do not need a wireless Sega Genesis controller and prefer wired. However that is real cool that a wireless Sega Genesis controller is being released in white and black for $24.99 next year. If it ends up working good it should be a popular product.

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Wireless-Gamepad-Original-Genesis-Drive/dp/B07HB1XFQW?th=1

Edited by HDTV1080P

Thanks everyone for all the useful information. At this time I have decided to only use the original new and used Sega Genesis controllers plus the spare Pioneer Laseractive Sega controllers that I own. It is my understanding that certain games use more then 3 buttons and require a 6 button Sega controller. So I might only purchase 6 button controllers in the future.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Thanks everyone for all the useful information. At this time I have decided to only use the original new and used Sega Genesis controllers plus the spare Pioneer Laseractive Sega controllers that I own. It is my understanding that certain games use more then 3 buttons and require a 6 button Sega controller. So I might only purchase 6 button controllers in the future.

Far as I know...NONE of the commercially released games ever required a 6-button controller. And the only games to really use those buttons were the fighting games. I use the 6-button because honestly it happens to be connected up to the Genesis and it works. But I will say that I also believe the 3-button to pretty much be perfect in most regards. It is comfortable for long gaming sessions and again, I've never had a 1st part 3-button controller die on me.

Far as I know...NONE of the commercially released games ever required a 6-button controller. And the only games to really use those buttons were the fighting games. I use the 6-button because honestly it happens to be connected up to the Genesis and it works. But I will say that I also believe the 3-button to pretty much be perfect in most regards. It is comfortable for long gaming sessions and again, I've never had a 1st part 3-button controller die on me.

The following thread has a list of Sega Genesis games that use all 6 buttons or more than 3 buttons. What is interesting is that people are mentioning that with certain brands of 3rd party Sega Genesis controllers that certain games like Ms Pacman well not work correctly if it has 6 buttons. This is also what I experienced on the Hyperkin GN6 Sega Genesis controller with Ms Pacman. If there is a problem with many 6 button 3rd party Sega Genesis compatible controllers with game playability, then does anyone make a third party Sega Genesis compatible controller with 3 buttons instead of 6 buttons? All I see is the original Sega Genesis controller with 3 button option.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/216133-6-button-games/

For some reasons I am very good at finding problems and bugs in products without even trying. Which results in hours and days of testing and researching to try and solve the issue. Everything is so time consuming anymore.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Did you try and start up a game of Ms. Pac-Man with the mode button held down on the controller?

Yes I did try and hold the mode button down at the start of the game to switch the third party controller into 3 button mode and for some reason I ended up having the same problem in Ms. Pacman using the 8 direction control pad. Some games also use the mode button during the game itself as a button function.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I've given up after years of collecting various joysticks of varying quality. I bought one of those Tototek original Playstation to Genesis adapters.

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of the Sega compatible game controller adapter. Its pretty sad when one has to use a game controller designed for another videogame system with a adapter on the Genesis because no third party controller matches the quality of the original Sega Genesis controller. For now I well just use the original Sega brand game controller and perhaps in the future I may try a Sega compatible game controller adapter with a Playstation video game controller. I have never owned any generation of Sony's playstation. It sounds like the original Sony controller is good quality and as long as it works with all the Sega Genesis games that would be a perfect solution.

I wish there was more game controller adapters on the market. It would be ideal to find a high quality game controller and have the ability to use that game controller on many systems like ColecoVision, ATARI 2600, ATARI 5200, etc. Just buy the adapter one needs and stick with the same game controller that one is interested in.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 1

I wish there was more game controller adapters on the market. It would be ideal to find a high quality game controller and have the ability to use that game controller on many systems like ColecoVision, ATARI 2600, ATARI 5200, etc. Just buy the adapter one needs and stick with the same game controller that one is interested in.

Raphnet offers many adapters

https://www.raphnet-tech.com/adapterfinder.php

Such as SNES to Atari 2600

https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/snes_to_db9/index.php

And SNES to Mega Drive (as 6-button)

https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/snes_to_megadrive/index.php

I've no clue as to how well they function.

I use his Intellivision to USB adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an original Genesis controller and ordered a set of replacement membranes off of eBay. Couple with a good cleaning of the PCB, and it's just as I remember it.

Unfortunately, I'm now remembering that I never really liked Genesis controllers. :\

Ha ha

We're the membranes good? If so from who? I bought some awhile ago and they were way too stiff.

I noticed that the 3 button Sega Genesis 1650 controllers were manufactured in 3 different countries. I have Sega Genesis 1650 controllers that were made in Japan, Taiwan, and China. They all appear to be the same exact quality and it does not matter where they were manufactured. It’s just interesting that Sega had the controllers manufactured in 3 different areas of the world. Perhaps they needed to do this to keep up with the several millions of people that wanted a controller, since maybe one location was not big enough to meet their needs.

I just tried the 6 button Sega MK-1653 and the better model Sega MK-1470 (Both made in China). The MK-1470 is better in the since it offers turbo and slow options. The Ms Pacman game is not compatible with 6 button controllers and requires 3 button controllers. The only exception to that is if the 6 button controller has a mode button to place the controller in 3 button compatibility mode. There are some very cheaply made 6 button third party controllers that do not have a mode button, and they do not work for older games like Ms Pacman. However when I hold down the mode button on the Sega MK-1653 and MK-1470 while turning the Sega console on, both controllers switch to 3 button compatibility mode and they work fine with Ms Pacman.

I am guessing that Ms Pacman was made for the Sega Genesis system before 6 button controllers were released, because if the game was made after the 6 button controllers were released, then most likely the game programmer for Ms Pacman would have made the game compatible with 6 button controllers also, instead of requiring one to place a 6 button controller into 3 button legacy compatible mode. Before the days of the internet , back in 1993 when the 6 button controllers were released, it would have been ideal for the 6 button controllers and games to mention that the 6 button controller needs to be placed into 3 button compatibility mode for some older Sega games (And perhaps some third party controllers do mention this in the instructions, because if they do not they risk getting returns from customers that do not know how the mode button works).

The following website link has a history of the original Sega Genesis controllers (I did not realize how many different models of Sega controllers existed).

https://www.consolevariations.com/sega/sega-genesis-mega-drive/sega-genesis-mega-drive-controller-variations/

I just tried the 6 button Sega MK-1653 and the better model Sega MK-1470 (Both made in China). The MK-1470 is better in the since it offers turbo and slow options. The Ms Pacman game is not compatible with 6 button controllers and requires 3 button controllers. The only exception to that is if the 6 button controller has a mode button to place the controller in 3 button compatibility mode. There are some very cheaply made 6 button third party controllers that do not have a mode button, and they do not work for older games like Ms Pacman. However when I hold down the mode button on the Sega MK-1653 and MK-1470 while turning the Sega console on, both controllers switch to 3 button compatibility mode and they work fine with Ms Pacman.

I am guessing that Ms Pacman was made for the Sega Genesis system before 6 button controllers were released, because if the game was made after the 6 button controllers were released, then most likely the game programmer for Ms Pacman would have made the game compatible with 6 button controllers also, instead of requiring one to place a 6 button controller into 3 button legacy compatible mode. Before the days of the internet , back in 1993 when the 6 button controllers were released, it would have been ideal for the 6 button controllers and games to mention that the 6 button controller needs to be placed into 3 button compatibility mode for some older Sega games (And perhaps some third party controllers do mention this in the instructions, because if they do not they risk getting returns from customers that do not know how the mode button works).

The following website link has a history of the original Sega Genesis controllers (I did not realize how many different models of Sega controllers existed).

https://www.consolevariations.com/sega/sega-genesis-mega-drive/sega-genesis-mega-drive-controller-variations/

The 6 button controller manual had instructions to set it into compatibility mode. At least the version released in Brazil (MK-1653) had these instructions.

You need to set it to 3-button mode for Ms Pacman and Golden Axe II.

Edited by rmr_md

The 6 button controller manual had instructions to set it into compatibility mode. At least the version released in Brazil (MK-1653) had these instructions.

You need to set it to 3-button mode for Ms Pacman and Golden Axe II.

Are those the only two games that well not work with 6 button controllers if legacy 3 button compatibility mode is not set by the mode button? Ms Pacman and Golden Axe II must have been released before 1993 in theory. Any game released in 1993 or later for the Sega Genesis system would have been programmed to work with both the 3 button and 6 button controller, except for games that use all 6 buttons.

Edited by HDTV1080P