IGNORED

Poor quality third party Sega Genesis controllers on the market

HDTV1080P

Might be the first time I've ever seen anybody refer to the MK-1470 as the better model. If you need turbo, I guess it's nice, but to me it always felt cheap the core functionality didn't feel as solid as the 1653.

I'm hooked on the three-button for non-six-button games, though. That controller is straight dope. I got a "new" one today, so now I have two. Just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having major problems trying to find a Sega Genesis game controller that matches the quality of the original official Sega Genesis controller. Since Sega no longer makes brand new game controllers for the Genesis system, my goal was to find a Sega Genesis compatible controller that matched or beat the quality of the original official Sega Genesis controller. I might have to settle with a used official Sega controller.

I have tried at least 3 or 4 different brands of controllers and they all have problems. I ordered 3 Sega compatible controllers directly from China with free shipping, and instead of getting compatible Sega controllers that I ordered, the Chinese company ended up sending me counterfeit Sega controllers with the official Sega logo printed on the controller (I get upset when some companies ship me counterfeit products). To make matters worse the controllers did not operate correctly and ended up in the trash since the 8 directional control pad broke off.

I also tried a brand new Sega compatible controller in the retail box from a USA dealer. However the quality of the controller was poor and the 8 directional control pad broke off and the controller was smaller than the original. Therefore, I returned that Sega compatible controller.

I also tried a brand new in the retail box Sega Genesis Hyperkin controller which is double the cost for around $10 each. However even though that controller was almost the same physical size and feel of the original Sega controller, the problem is when playing Ms. Pacman, especially during the start of the game, the controller eight directional pad would not respond to up or down actions. In addition, the original Sega controller worked perfectly fine during Ms. Pacman but so far I have not found a third party controller that works ok with Ms. Pacman.

What is the deal with the third party Sega controllers? It is like everyone or almost everyone is only interested in making a cheap quality Sega controller and not interested in the actual quality of the controller.

I have tried around 4 different brands of controllers now, and nothing beats the original Sega controller (The Pioneer Laseractive Sega controller is the same quality but no longer available). Has anyone ran into any third party Sega controllers that matches or beats the quality of the original Sega controller?

If the answer is no to the above question then I am going to need to purchase a used Sega Genesis controller or find a rare new one. It looks like there is no third party Sega Master system controllers being sold, and instead one just uses the Sega Genesis controller on a Sega Master system.

The very best third-party controller right now is the Hyperkin you didnt like. FWIW the GN6 has been good for me so maybe you got a dud. Every other one (including Retro-bits current line) is total trash.

If you want something else wait for the licensed ones to come out or wait for the 8bitdo M30. At this point I wouldnt expect the licensed ones to ship before January even though they were supposed to be out last month.

I must have gotten a dud (at least that is the theory), because I returned that controller and purchased a second one that works perfectly fine including the mode button with Ms. Pacman.

The Hyperkin GN6 Premium Controller is the best third party controller that I have used for the Sega Genesis

I prefer the original 6 button Sega Genesis controllers over any third party controller so far. However the Hyperkin “GN6” item #M07016 (UPC code 813048014577) is the best third party Sega Genesis controller that I have used so far, with only the original 6 button Sega Genesis controller being better. However, used original 6 button Sega Genesis controllers sometimes cost more or are around the same price as the Hyperkin GN6. A factory new Hyperkin GN6 has a list price of $12.99, and an EBAY street price of under $10 delivered.

All the Sega Genesis games I tried the controller worked perfectly fine, even placing the controller in 3 button legacy mode worked fine. The mode button works fine when holding down the button before using Ms. Pacman while turning on the Sega Genesis console. There are many 6 button third party controllers at around half the price for the Sega Genesis system that do not have a mode button, and these controllers cannot be used with older games like Ms. Pacman.

The Hyperkin GN6 is RoHS complaint, and CE safety certified for Europe. However, it is not UL listed, but UL listed or UL certified is a optional safety certification for the USA. In the last 5-10 years many electronic products do not receive UL certification anymore.

I highly recommend this Hyperkin GN6 Premium Sega Genesis controller for its excellent quality and low price. Only the 6 button Sega controller had a better feel and possible slightly better control.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Awesome, glad to hear . you got one that worked for you.

This year is either going to be very good or very disappointing for Genesis fans. Between the Sega-licensed Retro-Bit stuff, 8Bitdo's wireless controller, and now Retrofighters announcing a controller to come out this summer, something is bound to be really good. I hope.

Yeah I'm not sure on that Retrofighters Genesis/Saturn combo controller yet. I understand the thumbstick works in true analog like the analog controller that came out when Nights was released, but I honestly never used it even back then because I could never quite get a feel for the analog in those games. Maybe the thumbstick would be better. Either way I'm not sure it looks that comfortable to hold either...

But yes the new Sega licensed stuff does look good and as long as they using essentially the same molds for these new controllers, they should work and feel quite nice.