IGNORED

Dragon's Lair

Tursi

The ugly thing about this issue was that I spent a whole evening trying to find out why the emulator crashed (not the emulated TI but the whole MAME). Then I remembered: When your C++ program does something completely unexplainable, check for memory corruption. :) In fact, the buffer was 2 MiB, and the cartridge loader memcpy'd the ROM dump (of size 8 MiB) into that buffer.

I added a guard that exits with a "fatal error" for now - until I'll have decided for a new cartridge type (maybe "pagedmax" ... or better "paged32m", you never know :) ).

• Like 1

For those who don't follow my Twitter or Facebook, the box mockup came in. It's mostly good, though it's just a little fuzzy. (The print process is not intended to print really fine details). But, everything is readable and Binky's art really looks good, IMO.

The retro design by OLD CS1 has not been shown before. ;)

post-12959-0-73457600-1545446824_thumb.jpgpost-12959-0-62434300-1545446833_thumb.jpg

- solid corrugated cardboard - no cereal boxes here!

- double sided box has BOTH prints available

- I dunno, it's a solid, full color box!

I still have to decide how I'm going to deal with the dual nature of the packaging. I think probably I will ask you to tell me when you order whether you want modern or retro style, and I'll fold the box and affix the appropriate label. (You can have the other label unstuck in case you change your mind ;) ). Shipping the boxes flat with a cartridge will just be too difficult to manage.

Anyway, all these forward-thinking statements still do not count as promises. ;)

• Like 19

• 2 weeks later...

A bit later than I intended. but here's the hardware demo video I meant to post. The game is about 99% code complete though the scenes all need tuning for input timing. I've done a bit but I'm not happy with some of it.

What I really wanted to show off here was the flicker fixes, this is running in non-F18A mode. (Though F18A gets rid of even the few that are left). Show off that, and that all the scenes are in place and it actually progresses from scene to scene now.

https://youtu.be/UXExQq0eq0Y

• Like 21

This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! I never thought this was even possible on the TI-99/4a. Incredible work Tursi!!!

A bit later than I intended. but here's the hardware demo video I meant to post. The game is about 99% code complete though the scenes all need tuning for input timing. I've done a bit but I'm not happy with some of it.

What I really wanted to show off here was the flicker fixes, this is running in non-F18A mode. (Though F18A gets rid of even the few that are left). Show off that, and that all the scenes are in place and it actually progresses from scene to scene now.

https://youtu.be/UXExQq0eq0Y

Edited by jonecool
  • Like 1

That retro graphic look really doesn't do what's in the cartridge justice. And I mean REALLY! :lol:

Sadly the retro design needs to change. I didn't realize it was pixel-for-pixel from the old 8-bit Dragon's Lair game, and someone felt it necessary to tell me, meaning I can't claim plausible deniability. ;) Since we can't find the owners of that art we have to redo it.

• Like 2

Wow, this is amazing. And clearly a monumental endeavor. Even with all of the clever new TI add-on advances that have been coming along in recent years, I never expected to see something with this degree of display & sound quality. Phenomenal work, Tursi.

Sounds as though there are quite a few interested persons at this point, but I'm in, too. Looking forward to its release.

Sadly the retro design needs to change. I didn't realize it was pixel-for-pixel from the old 8-bit Dragon's Lair game, and someone felt it necessary to tell me, meaning I can't claim plausible deniability. ;) Since we can't find the owners of that art we have to redo it.

Well, actually a few, used for concept. Tursi was happy with the concept and his replacement remains true to it. I think everyone will like it.

• 3 weeks later...

There isn't and won't be a list. ;)

I received the boxes today, and posted a pic of the new retro side...

post-12959-0-27784800-1548210051_thumb.jpg

A little fuzzy, like the modern side, but the real issue is it just doesn't fold nicely backwards - it was intended to go one way. So I think I will only be shipping them in the modern form. If you want to flip the box inside out, it can be done (the previous photos I posted were folded first to modern, then to retro, and that makes it easier). Folding that way first is rough because you're going against the seams.

I took the game to a con over the weekend, though the game room was not set up for a demo. I did have a few friends play for a bit, so that counts as some playtesting.

Also got the spare parts I need to make a few more test cartridges, in case the only one I have right now fails. ;) Still expecting a second EPROM programmer to show up, just in case.

I think I'll set a goal of opening orders on Jan 30th... not yet a promise, but I'll let you know if I'm not going to make it.

• Like 9

For those who don't follow my Twitter or Facebook, the box mockup came in. It's mostly good, though it's just a little fuzzy. (The print process is not intended to print really fine details). But, everything is readable and Binky's art really looks good, IMO.

The retro design by OLD CS1 has not been shown before. ;)

attachicon.gifsmDu_DUZmV4AAtg9b.jpgattachicon.gifsmDu_EDA0VAAALZnk.jpg

- solid corrugated cardboard - no cereal boxes here!

- double sided box has BOTH prints available

- I dunno, it's a solid, full color box!

I still have to decide how I'm going to deal with the dual nature of the packaging. I think probably I will ask you to tell me when you order whether you want modern or retro style, and I'll fold the box and affix the appropriate label. (You can have the other label unstuck in case you change your mind ;) ). Shipping the boxes flat with a cartridge will just be too difficult to manage.

Anyway, all these forward-thinking statements still do not count as promises. ;)

Nice!!! I may have to order one! :-D

EDIT: You sure use a lot of winking smiley-faces, Tursi. Not that i'm complaining, I like winking smiley-faces. ;-)

Edited by BuckoBrand
  • Like 1

I was curious what the versions of Dragon's Lair for somewhat analogous 80s hardware looked like, not being very familiar with the various home versions. Well, the Coleco Adam version looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSinFyg6Y5Q&t=1m

Yup. I'd say what we have here is a slight improvement.

Can't wait. :)

This seems fairly similar to the Spectrum 128 version. Actually pretty good for the unexpanded hardware.

Wow this is simply amazing. What a great way to push the TI beyond what people thought it could do.

So, is this game licensed? Not that I care....but if it is, I'm wondering how you managed to pull that off.

If I can scrap up the funds, I will definitely want a copy.