IGNORED

JOUST lava flow project

Baby Blue Azure

Recently I have been working on a pet project on the 7800 JOUST. This is an R+D project on how the Lava Flows in 3 segments in the JOUST game. I have found the sections where these tasks are completed individually. But now, I’m trying to make them all happen in sequence right at the start of the game. I have a sample BIN/A78 that shows how close I got to completing this task. But perhaps it’s not the optimum choice of coding and it doesn’t completely work anyways. So I’m looking for a fresh set of eyes to look over my shoulder and hopefully solve this mind-bending code problem. It may be this proposed solution can be tweaked to work or there’s a completely different and better way to go. I’m sure a seasoned coder would understand all we need is to run 8+8+4 = 20 lines of lava in sequence and then $AC=01 and $B3=07 and the lava bridge opens and the flames are lit. This true, but how to shoehorn that new code is the ultimate question.

Here is a photo showing how close I got it to work. Just 7 lines of the lava stage 2 are missing.

post-65655-0-66724100-1545251548_thumb.jpg

Next, I have supporting info that will be key to solving this question.

JOUST LAVA R+D BACKGROUND INFORMATION (in .pdf format):
JOUST_LAVA_FLOW_R+D.pdf

JOUST DISASSEMBLY - RAW (in .pdf format):
JOUST_LAVA_FLOW_R+D.pdf

Then the attached BIN/A78 is based on the original JOUST checksum=8283, with invincibility so it's easy to run through Wave 04 to verify the new change completely works, the 'WAVE nn' message stuck on permanently, the lava flow speed maxed, and the lava change code as shown in the LAVA R+D doc above.

JOUST_Lava BIN:
JOUST_LLL_A601.bin

JOUST_Lava .A78:
Joust_LLL_32K.a78

Thanks for your support!

/BBA

• Like 2

Sorry guys about the posting error here. I was in a hurry and there was an obvious problem with an attachment of an attachment and the the LAVA_FLOW_R+D was posted twice, and the Disassembly didn't get posted. Without this, it would be hard to assist me with my question. Thanks for your patience! /BBA

JOUST DISASSEMBLY - RAW (in .pdf format):

JOUST_8283_Disassembly4.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

This looks cool. I've been getting into the arcade version of Joust recently, trying to figure out how the hell people get 7-digit scores on the damn game...slowly but Shirley I've been improving. I decided to try out the 7800 Joust -- haven't played that in a while -- and found that...it doesn't quite get it correct...like how it's very easy on the arcade version to just land on a buzzard and collect the egg immediately, but on the 7800 version the egg goes flying away at a wide angle. And how you could play several waves on the 7800 version before you see a hunter (they come out in, what, wave 3? on the arcade version) unless you ramp up the difficulty, in which case you'll get like...eight on the first screen.

I'd love to see Joust on the 7800 further be given the "arcade" treatment, and it looks like this is a good start.