IGNORED

Radar Lock 2-button genesis controller: does rom exist?

chewy

At this point I'm guessin it does cause this board has freaking amazed me, so if if someone can point me in the way of this one, i wanna shred this with 2 button genesis control- much like the 2 button SOLARIS hack. Im telling you harmony cart was the best purchase i ever made- the improvments in the code on some of them really helps. like on double dragon, for the 1st time i can clear a level portion, with the 2 button hack. im telling you...- anyways anyone have this one? thxxx!

• 4 weeks later...

Quick edit of the first Rom bank that fits right in the original location (no code shifting)…

;original routine
;    lda     SWCHA   ;4
;    and     #$0F    ;2
;    tay             ;2
;    lda     LF57D,y ;4
;    bmi     LF474   ;2/3
;    sta     ram_E6  ;3
;LF474
;    ldx     ram_E6  ;3

;replacement
    ldx     ram_E6  ;3
    lda     INPT1   ;3
    bmi     LF476   ;2/3
    inx             ;2
    cpx     #$03    ;2
    bne     LF474   ;2/3
    ldx     #$00    ;2
LF474
    stx     ram_E6  ;3
LF476

;Note: The 16 bytes at F57D are unused now

The same edit will work for the PAL version if somebody needs that one.

RadarLock(2-button).bin

Edited by Nukey Shay
  • Like 1

No...the Genesis controller A and Start buttons are unreadable to the 2600. B reacts the same as a 2600 stick's firebutton (INPT4), and C is read as the second paddle (INPT1). This hack alternates through the available weapons when you press C. Button B is still used to fire them. The hacked routine is a quick patch, so it may be a little wonky :P

Note: as in the original game, you only have the guns and a small number of guided missiles to choose from. Proximity missiles (which work sort of like Photon torpedoes in Star Trek) are not available until level 3, I think.

No...the Genesis controller A and Start buttons are unreadable to the 2600. B reacts the same as a 2600 stick's firebutton (INPT4), and C is read as the second paddle (INPT1). This hack alternates through the available weapons when you press C. Button B is still used to fire them. The hacked routine is a quick patch, so it may be a little wonky :P

Note: as in the original game, you only have the guns and a small number of guided missiles to choose from. Proximity missiles (which work sort of like Photon torpedoes in Star Trek) are not available until level 3, I think.

can i be so bold to make a suggestion- right now its cycling betwen the guns and ---> ---> ---> screens real quick at the top. but i absoutely am able to set off the guided missiles, i think i was hitting c coupled with b to get it, i think- anyways what i was wdonering is if yu can make the code so it will only cycle between the guns screen and the missle arrows --> ---> ---> when you press the c button, can we conntect the screen at the top to the buttons

on a sidenote, can i phone in to 1900-atariage right now and get read in on what to do at the end of level 2--- after the i shoot all the planes, i still have firepower, instead of like level 1 where the firepower turns off and i can hookup witth the plane to end the level- but on level 2 i just have firepower and nothing happens for a while until the plane runs out of gas i suppose and blows up-

The game manual is on site:

http://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=390

Every Level ends with the refueling sequence (the difficulty of getting to the plane increases).

As far as the rapid weapon switch is concerned: I hacked the game from within Stella (that is why the hacked routine fits in the same amount of Romspace as the original one). To make that routine better, a better disassembly of the program is needed (I started one, but it's still pretty messy with a LOT of stuff unlabeled)...so Romspace can be shifted around to make room. What is needed is just a few more bytes, but also a little Ram memory to keep track of the button press between frames - to ignore it if the button was held for more than 1 frame.

It wouldn't be a good idea to auto fire the missile with C, because then you'd lack the ability to use proximity missiles in higher levels. The controller only has 2 buttons for 3 weapons. Of course, the program could be changed to fire the 3rd weapon when BOTH buttons are hit at the same time...but that would take a LOT of work hacking the existing routines (and also making space for those changes).