IGNORED

German/English translation?

Alex

try

babel.altavista.com

i've used it several times. try to use generic english (no cliche's or colloquialism's) and no typo's. just for fun, take the translated german and have babel translate that back to english. sometimes it can really mangle the original meaning. but it does much better than my tarnished memory of one year of college german. Guten Tag!

I wish I can help, but I think my english is too bad. I have often errors in my text, and sometimes I don't understand all.

Maybe Jah Fish can help. I think he can very good english if I not wrong.

Or maybe some other from germany who can good or better english then me.

I know what you mean about not trusting Babel. I tried translating the following message from English into German:

I thumbed through my carts a short while ago and realized I'm carrying way too much extra baggage. It's time to thin the herd and clear up some space. I'm blowing out all my doubles. I'm even dumping my extra rares! If you want the cream of the crop before they get bagged by some faceless, greedy sniper, please drop me a line.

I then took the German translation Babel gave me and had it translate it back into English. What I got was this:

I pick-up by my trucks a short-circuit, while forwards and carries out I way too much extra luggage carry. It is time to dilute the herd and clear up something area. I burn from all mean doubled through. I am even, my extra-rare emptying! If you wish the cream of the grain, before they keep greedy Sniper gebauscht by any faceless, let me please a line fall.

It's no wonder I never heard back from him.

Ben

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

so do you think my English is better than the average of the other Germans here? I'm afraid I have to doubt that.

Ich glaube Ihrem Englisch weit besser als mein Deutscher ist...für was auch immer das wert ist. Ohne einen automatisierten Übersetzer würde ich vollständig verloren sein.

Ben

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

Ich glaube Ihrem Englisch weit besser als mein Deutscher ist...für was auch immer das wert ist.

Um den nächsten Wettbewerb in Deutsch zu machen! Damit Matthias und ich auch mal einen Vorteil haben.

Ohne einen automatisierten Übersetzer würde ich vollständig verloren sein.

Which translator are you using, the results are quite good? Or are you correting them by hand?

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

I used Alta Vista's Babel Fish translator. But I tweaked the results heavily, relying on my understanding of the translator's weaknesses and on the decaying fragments of three years of high school German I studied a billion years ago.

That's the only way those translators can be useful. Without tweaking, the results are funny, but not very helpful.