IGNORED

PC to Amiga, serial cable?

DeV0

Hi Ppl

I was wondering if there was a way to conect the PC to an amiga for someone who doesnt have workbench?? I have amiga forever and amiga explorer, An A600 (no harddrive) and a few game disks. I cant open a shell on the amiga because i havent got the damn workbench disc. Id rather be playing the amiga in my tv then an emulator.

DeV0 --

I used to have an Amiga 600, and a few years ago I upgraded to a 4000 and connected a serial cable between the two of them to transfer stuff from hard drive from hard drive, and I was told at the time that the program I used also works for Amiga-to-PC serial linkups...

First of all, you still should be able to open a shell on your Amiga, even without the Workbench disks, I believe. What you need to do is turn on the Amiga and hold down both mouse buttons at the same time, and you'll get an early start menu. There will be an option in that menu somewhere that says "Boot without startup-sequence" or something to that effect. Pick THAT option. It should put you immediately into a shell. You MIGHT need a bootable floppy in the drive, I don't recall. Make sure that the floppy disk you put in the drive is NOT in trackdisk format, if at all possible...."trackdisk" means basically that you can't actually read the contents of the disk; it's a special format that a lot of older Amiga games used to use until it became all the rage to install stuff onto your hard drive.

Oh, btw...the program you want is called "Twin Express". I BELIEVE you can get it off Aminet at http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet -- do a search for "twin". The archive should include an executable for Amiga and an executable for MS-DOS. It's a very basic serial transfer program, but it does the job quite well. If you can't find it, let me know -- I think I still have the Amiga executable...

Archived