IGNORED

HSC15 Round 23: There are Three Ts in Space...

therealbountybob

There are Three Ts in Space...

The Extirpator! - Transmuter - Tanium

Welcome to the final round of Season 15 here we have 3 of the better budget games, all horizontal scrollers. Tanium is a little different to the others. This is a good time to join in before the next season starts if anyone is out there and wants to take the plunge ;) Apologies if any of these don't run on NTSC, post if anyone has any difficulties.

ATR with all three games on (untested): HSC15 R23 - The Extirpator! - Transmuter - Tanium.ATR

The Extirpator! Full HSC Points

the_extirpator.png

Fandal XEX Atarimania Info

Break=pause doesn't work?

Transmuter Full HSC Points

transmuter.png

[space] activates powerups. NO pause key?

Tanium Full HSC Points (+2pts for anyone winning all three games)

tanium.png

Any key to pause, select aborts go.

Use L/R to control overhead ship view (in the top window), U/D to control the bottom window. You can use diagonals to move both windows at a push, this is handy for blasting as you can only shoot ships at your altitude. Hard to explain but your ship needs to be clear of obstacles in at least one window, you CAN fly through the walls in the bottom window if your top ship is in the clear and vice versa - practice by starting on stage 3 [select] on the title screen. Any key to pause, select aborts go.

McKong: "I found that trying to watch both windows was too difficult. So I watch one window until I see what looks like an impassable object and then switch to the other window and stay there until I need to switch back. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes possible to get a lot further. I dont think levels 5-11 are much more difficult than 3-4"

This Round and SEASON 15 finsh on Sunday 13th Jan 2019! 2pm 9pm UK Time

• Like 2

This looks fun and I finally have time for a few days.

I'm going to be honest, I find .exe and .xex files to be inconveniencing. I so prefer .atr files and disk images.

I think back when I played I just threw them on a SD card on the real hardware. I have dodged this for a while. Oh, and I would edit .atr to import the files onto a disk image, that doesn't seem to be working and the import files are grayed out. I set up the good ole virtual hard drive, the emulation (which is what I use mostly these days) see the files, but I get a error 170 when I try to load them.

So please indulge me for a minute as a I realize I am just a little out of step with the .exe files and let me know the best way to load these. I am using Atari800MacX and before anyone asks, my computer has been and will probably always be a Mac. :D

I also run Altirra under Wine on the Mac. So that is another option.

Thanks in advance. :)

• Like 1

This looks fun and I finally have time for a few days.

I'm going to be honest, I find .exe and .xex files to be inconveniencing. I so prefer .atr files and disk images.

I think back when I played I just threw them on a SD card on the real hardware. I have dodged this for a while. Oh, and I would edit .atr to import the files onto a disk image, that doesn't seem to be working and the import files are grayed out. I set up the good ole virtual hard drive, the emulation (which is what I use mostly these days) see the files, but I get a error 170 when I try to load them.

So please indulge me for a minute as a I realize I am just a little out of step with the .exe files and let me know the best way to load these. I am using Atari800MacX and before anyone asks, my computer has been and will probably always be a Mac. :D

I also run Altirra under Wine on the Mac. So that is another option.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi doctorclu :thumbsup: If you want ATR's then atarionline.pl has them too. I have these all transdisked from original tapes! Remember .xex .exe .com are all the same, they are runnable Atari executables; it's just we've gone for them renamed to xex to stop Windows etc thinking they are files it can run when double clicked (as it already uses xex and com). This way allows xex to be associated with the emulator when double clicked.

Tanium feels like it's buggy on my machine. Is it always a 2 player game? I get the one on the upper screen reacting to my joypad even if I choose 1 Player in options. Then there's the collision detection, it's worse than in that Santa game. Sometimes my projectiles destroy stuff, sometimes not, it's completely unpredictable. Do you guys get this as well?

The Extirpator - 13700 pts

Tanium - 7243 pts

Transmuter - 30563 pts

Tanium randomly freezes on my 130XE. It might be yet one more of those games I'll have to play through my XEGS or 800. Transmuter looks like a Gradius/Nemesis wannabe, though not as polished.

post-5454-0-66655100-1546371526.jpg

post-5454-0-47587500-1546371528.jpg

post-5454-0-30115800-1546371530.jpg

Edit: Tanium seems like an odd case. It is also available on the ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC and Commodore 64, but those three versions are just 2D while the Atari 8-bit version has this "2.5D" view. I get a feeling the Atari game isn't directly related to the other versions, just the same publisher who thought it was a cool name.

Transmuter also is on the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC, but Codemasters never seems to have ported it to the C64. The Extirpator doesn't seem to exist on any of the other formats, despite being from a major publisher such as Firebird.

Edited by carlsson

I need to look at Tanium again, what McKong posted sounds right - was that in 2 player mode? I had a couple of goes on 1 player and managed with the diagonals to move both at the same times rather than L/R or U/D for each set: 14,345

post-19705-0-46217300-1546371790.jpg

Transmuter is as I remembered pretty good, probably the best game by some here, we could make this the main game? Probably best not to use the 2nd speed-up. 27,647 38,262 127,424

post-19705-0-24808900-1546371783.jpg

The Extirpator is ok 20,200 is my best so far

post-19705-0-35209100-1546371774.jpg

• Like 1

Transmuter 55,388

Is anyone else finding there's an invisible wall on what would be the left side of the top-down view in Tanium? I keep having my ship crash if I go too far left, when it doesn't seem like I should be. Maybe an NTSC phenomenon?

I played it quite a bit the other day and didn't see that issue on my PAL 800XL.

If you tell us where the issue occurs we can try to recreate it on our systems.

Transmuter 131,047 174,229 got past the 2nd boss ship - like I said before perhaps best with 1 speed-up collected or none at all. If you dont activate them with [space] the power-ups go up to the next one.

The Extirpator 24,950 you can get on a roll just fire on each thing waiting for the power to recover a bit between shots.

Tanium 20,199 getting there, still not completed stage 3 - will do next session!! Stage 3 around 15K is the sticking point for the casual game so to get further you will need to figure this out: Use L/R to control overhead ship view (in the top window) U/D to control the bottom window. You can use diagonals to move both windows at a push, this is handy for blasting as you can only shoot ships at your altitude. Hard to explain but your ship needs to be clear of obstacles in at least one window, you CAN fly through the walls in the bottom window if your top ship is in the clear and vice versa - practice by starting on stage 3 [select] on the title screen.

post-19705-0-60223000-1546608892.jpg

post-19705-0-35138900-1546608900.jpg

post-19705-0-72880500-1546608907.jpg

I found that trying to watch both windows was too difficult. So I watch one window until I see what looks like an impassable object and then switch to the other window and stay there until I need to switch back.

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes possible to get a lot further. I dont think levels 5-11 are much more difficult than 3-4

• Like 1