IGNORED

Vectrex repairs anyone?

landsmarra

Hey guys,

I just got two Vec consoles. One came loose with an older version Sean Kelly multicart and was soaked in cat piss but cleaned up fine and seems to work well. Just some flicker which I believe is normal. The test program on the cart indicates that some screen adjustments might be in order. Anyone know how to do this? Also, when looking at the menu on the multicart, some of the game names seem to slant to the left. Is this normal? Lastly, on the title screen on the Vec multicart, the Kelly and Taft copyright near the bottom of the screen is a little compressed and slanted left. Is this normal?

The other boxed Vec I got was in better shape physically but has bad burn-in. Can anything be done for this short of replacing the tube (that's assuming it can even be done)? Does anyone out there do this knid of thing?

I've also read somewhere on how to reduce the hum but can't find it now. Anyone got the link?

Well, I now have a complete US Vec cart collection including light pen. I have 3D glasses/games coming. So now I'm going after the homebrew stuff.

Thanks,

Steve

Flicker is normal. Buzz is normal. Some people put clear packaging tape over the speaker grill to reduce the buzz.

Character slant can be corrected with some drawbacks. Also screen alignment can easily be done.

Tube burn-in .. well you gotta live with it .. or replace the tube (which are only available by scavenging another unit).

You've got a complete US Vec cart collection including light pen and the glasses? Wow!

Homebrew stuff worth getting: Chris Tumber's Omega Chase, VIX/Tsunami carts. Moon Lander cart.

VecRAM cart allows you to play everything else. Vecvoice circuit is cool and allows your Vectrex to speak (Berzerk and Pythagorean Theorem)!

If you don't get the VecRAM cart, then you should go for John Dondzila's games: Vecmania, Vectopia and Gravitrex.

And if it becomes available again: Protector.

Join us at Rec.Games.Vectrex newsgroup for all things Vectrex.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Er, while we're on the subject, how do you fix slant/alignment problems? I've opened my slightly defective Vectrex up and twiddled the pots, but they don't seem to twiddle enough to fix the problem. Basically I get an extreme horizontal slant, and the shapes don't line up with each other.

I'm hoping it's an easy fix because I'd really rather not pick up a soldering iron.

Eric

any kool sites that cover the history and the games for it ? thx guys :wink:

Start here: www.vectrex.com

For those of you interested in repair, go here and get the Service Manual:

www.playvectrex.com

Repairs: YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK OF SHOCK OR DEATH!

There are five screws that hold the back case of the Vectrex in place. You need a LONG Phillips head screwdriver to reach all five screws.

The horizontal board is the Logic Board. The Vertical board is the POWER BOARD WHICH HAS THE HIGH VOLTAGE SECTION AND LEAD THAT GOES TO THE PICTURE TUBE! DO NOT TOUCH ANY PART OF IT WHILE SERVICING THE VECTREX!

Those of you who want to adjust the height and slant of your letters: You may fiddle with the vertical thumb Potentiometers to the far right of the Logic Board. R333 is the "Y Rate Offset" and R335 is the "X Rate Offset". Note that adjusting these pots will affect the shape of your MineStorm ship and possibly other Vectors as they connect to eachother. So adjusting these pots is trial and error (unless you have an oscilloscope and want to go through the testing process according to the service manual). A little slant is not as concerning as seeing all of your gaming objects look nice.

Those of you who want to adjust the center/size of your picture. First you have to bring up the Test Cart function (on Multicarts) and the crosshatch box functions. On the Power Board are two pots which are accessable from the "Outside" of this Vertical Board through holes. You must use a fine flathead screwdriver to do this adjustment. R401 is the X size and R408 is the Y size. (Both of these pots are at the bottom of the Vertical Power Board). To move the whole picture diagonally, find R302 pot in the center back of the Horizontal Logic Board.

A word about pots: These machines are 20 years old (as of 2003) and the pots might be either stuck or not making good connection. Note the starting point of these pots and make small adjustments. You can always return the pot to the starting point if the desired effect is not obtained. Do not force the pots .. a broken pot would not be fun to replace!

The machine should be warmed up and functioning properly when the above adjustments are made.

Be careful when replacing the back on the Vectrex. The brightness knob on back has to go through its hole.

Go slow and then play several games to see if you have all the adjustments made according to your liking.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Over the years I have owned about 7-8 Vectrex systems. If you aren't happy with the 2 that you have, you can always try getting a different one on eBay. The one that I own now is actually better than the ones that I bought new and I purchased this one off of eBay. You have to remember that these systems are 20 years old and some have been taken better care of than others.

Archived