IGNORED

Sega Flashback 2019 - Custom Firmware available?

I've heard that the new Version of those Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Flashbacks doesn't have any of the old Problems like lagging wireless Controllers or Framerate-Drops anymore, so I'm thinking of buying one, but there seems to be no custom Firmware to load Games from the SD-Card-Slot.

I found one for the new Atari-Flashback, the Legends-Console and one for the old Sega-Versions, but none for the new one. Neither here or somewhere else or am I just blind?!

It may be because AtGames doesn't seem to be acknowledging that it was released, and by putting up firmware for it on their site, they'd be acknowledging it exists.

I assume it's some sort of compromise. AtGames gets to distribute a product that had already been produced, while the general public thanks to the stealth release just assumes it's the 2017 iteration. And Sega gets to protect their upcoming 2019 release from the automatic AtGames hate from the media and message boards that would pop up if this was publicized and which might prejudice potential customers from whatever it is that they're cooking up.

So, if I understand you correctly, the official New Firmware on the ATGames site "unlocks" the SD-Card-Slot for Games, but they just don't confirm the whole Console and Updates officially to prevent Sega from arguing with them?

I would buy the System, but only if I can expand it with Games from SD-Card...

No, I don't know anything about custom firmware for this. As far as I know, it hasn't been released. And I don't think it will be, since as I said in my previous post, obviously AtGames isn't going to officially comment on the existence of this product if they haven't already.

The official status of this product is cancelled, per Sega's press release a few months back. But obviously these must've been already manufactured before Sega's last minute decision to kill it, and some form of a compromise has allowed these to reach store shelves rather than scrap completed units. But as I said, it appears as if AtGames as part of the compromise has to stay hush about it and pretend as if they're leftover 2017 stock.

Even Bill Loguidice hasn't commented here about this release despite regularly keeping AtariAge in the loop about AtGames products. As his website says, he works as an independent contractor for AtGames in a variety of duties. If Bill isn't even acknowledging these are out there in the pages of this forum, I really wouldn't hold your breath for a firmware update at the AtGames site which would essentially equate to official acknowledgment that it was released.

Perhaps the one hope is a stealth release of the planned update, hosted by a 3rd party source. Hopefully our firmware fairy will visit us again and take care of the folks like you that want to get more out of their purchase and bought it with the expectation of this feature getting unlocked as promised.

Edited by Atariboy

Ok, thanks for clearing that out...

I was wondering why even amazon hasn't that product listed here in Germany - now i know why. There's only a small company called "Millenium" that holds the rights here and Distribution seems to be mainly via specialized Game-Shops and Discounters...

There's probably only little hope for even an unofficial an update...

I've heard that the new Version of those Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Flashbacks doesn't have any of the old Problems like lagging wireless Controllers or Framerate-Drops anymore, so I'm thinking of buying one, but there seems to be no custom Firmware to load Games from the SD-Card-Slot.

I found one for the new Atari-Flashback, the Legends-Console and one for the old Sega-Versions, but none for the new one. Neither here or somewhere else or am I just blind?!

The date for the firmware on their site sure looks to me like it's what you're looking for. Released on December 27th alongside the updates for the other two.

https://firmwareupdate.atgames.net/registration

Hopefully someone that knows more about this chimes in and confirms that it's what you want. I was under the impression an update hadn't been issued, but to me it looks like it's out.

Boxart appears to be of the 2018 model. And as far as I was aware, the 2017 model lacked a user accessible SD slot, so you couldn't of put an update on it anyways without opening up the system (And thus AtGames wouldn't be hosting a firmware update for it in the first place).

So I think I've been unintentionally misleading you.

Edited by Atariboy

@Atariboy

I'm totally irritated by now...

The Box on the ATGames-Registration-Site is the 2018-Console, so I don't think that the Update would work with the new 2019-Version (black stripe under the Cartridge-Slot instead of a red one; even if it unlocked the SD-Card-Slot on the 2018-Flashback), wouldn't it?!

@all

Can anyone say if there's a possibility of using the SD-Cart-Slot for Games (on the 2019-Console) or not?

I found an Auction on Ebay Germany that sold a "modded" Console (unfortunately the Auction ran out), but it has got no actual Picture of the Flashback although saying it's the newset Version...

I emailed the Seller and hope he/she answers...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Sega-Mega-Drive-Flashback-HD-2019-NEUE-VERSION-SD-Card-Funktion-/233074298113?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

I think some guys in GBATemp forum confirmed the Mega Drive FB 2019 is the same device as the Genesis FB 2018.

Yeah, seems so... The Seller of the Console mailed back and told me to look for a User named WD_GASTER2 on the Net. This User is in the GBATemp and has hacked the 2017 and 2018 Versions of the Flashback. So, if the '19 is the same device as the last years' one, it should probably work. Maybe someone here on the Forum has Experiences with the Firmware-Change on the 2019-Version and can give a Report if and how it worked out ...

If you read the threads in GBATemp you will see that at least one guy with the EU version was able to install the update from Atgames site successfully.

Nobody has dumped the partitions for the EU console yet, so it's not possible to see if they are different besides the menu (there is no "About" section and MK games are not there). I think WD_GASTER has the US version - the same version as mine.

I've seen in one thread that one member with the UK version (which looks the same as the German version) even applied my custom firmware to run PicoDrive instead of Genesis Plus GX, but the console 'converted' into a Genesis Flashback as expected.

The link to the ebay auction you posted is for a 2018 model Genesis/MegaDrive Flashback. These are good systems. They run Genesis Plus GX on linux, rather than the custom android emulator of 2017.

A quick, easy way to determine the 2018 model by looking at the box is the mock volume slider on the left. The 2017 model didn't have that. Also, the box mentions an SD card slot, only available on the 2018 model.

The firmware on the AtGames website is for the 2018 model, not the 2017 model, and enables loading roms from the SD card.

The only critisisms I have of the 2018 model is:

- Master System and Game Gear roms are not yet supported from the SD card. The emulator can clearly run them, but the firmware does not reconize the extension. Hopefully a future update will change this.

- Boxarts on the SD card are not supported. I imagine it would cause moving through pages of roms to be a bit slower, but I'd like to have the option to add them.

- The sound of PAL roms is not handled correctly in the Genesis model. Hopefully this gets fixed in a future update.

Otherwise, the 2018 model is a very solid system.

• Like 1

The link to the ebay auction you posted is for a 2018 model Genesis/MegaDrive Flashback. These are good systems. They run Genesis Plus GX on linux, rather than the custom android emulator of 2017.

A quick, easy way to determine the 2018 model by looking at the box is the mock volume slider on the left. The 2017 model didn't have that. Also, the box mentions an SD card slot, only available on the 2018 model.

The firmware on the AtGames website is for the 2018 model, not the 2017 model, and enables loading roms from the SD card.

The only critisisms I have of the 2018 model is:

- Master System and Game Gear roms are not yet supported from the SD card. The emulator can clearly run them, but the firmware does not reconize the extension. Hopefully a future update will change this.

- Boxarts on the SD card are not supported. I imagine it would cause moving through pages of roms to be a bit slower, but I'd like to have the option to add them.

- The sound of PAL roms is not handled correctly in the Genesis model. Hopefully this gets fixed in a future update.

Otherwise, the 2018 model is a very solid system.

I've made a custom firmware for the 2018 model with support for Master System, Game Gear and Sega CD, take a look at GBATemp.

Box arts are not supported, and the issue with PAL games was fixed in the Legends Flashback but not in the Genesis Flashback 2018; it's an issue with their emulator forcing the roms to run at 60fps.

If you have the "Mega Drive" version, it will convert to "Genesis" as I've used the Genesis Flashback partitions as base.

Edited by rmr_md
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Guys I have a really dumb question and this may not be the tread to ask it, if it isn't sorry about that.

When it comes to playing SEGA Genesis/SEGA CD Games is there any reason to get the SEGA Genesis Flashback when you own the AT Games Legends Flashback?

Thanks! :)

That's what I kinda figured, but I thought I would ask. I have the Legends Flashback was thinking of getting the Genesis Flashback 2018, but wasn't sure if there was a reason to get it other then the cart slot. Which Unless it can use the 32X (I know it can't) I'm not interested.)

I have found the cart slot to be shockingly hit-or-miss... seems to ignore about half of the games I try it with for no perceptible reason as the games run fine on a regular Genesis. So its not a good reason to prefer the Genesis unit, unfortunately.

The only reasons to choose the Genesis Flashback are the cartridge slot and the wireless controllers. And yes, the cart slot is a hit-or-miss. While I could run most of my games, I needed to reinsert some of them several time to be read correctly. The same carts work on the first attempt on my Genesis and on the Flashback HD 2017.

If you don't need the wireless controllers and the cart slot, the Legends Flashback is the best choice. It can run Genesis and NES games with the AtGames firmware update, and Arcade games with a custom firmware. I can also tell you the Legends Flashback is more stable than the Genesis Flashback - my Genesis Flashback freezes after 10 minutes playing while the Legends Flashback can work for hours.

Edited by rmr_md

I'm confused what 2019 Sega Genesis Flashback?

They did a HD one for 2017 which had problems, and then 2018 uses Genesis GX Plus they licensed and added a SD card slot on the right which ended up finally being a solid unit.

Can you show me some proof of a 3rd unit for 2019 and how to spot it by the box or something? I'd like to know more or is this very confused as the 2018 unit was out very late that year.

Also that Legends Flashback isn't there a couple of releases on that one too?

I've been thinking I'd like to get a cheap but non-trashy way to run some Sega 8/16bit games again on my TV and the MegaNT+Kit option is overkill, and I don't need a lame swiss army knife pi or of the sort mess either which is supremely unattractive. I know Sega has something out later this year, but it'll be a closed bit like the Nintendo systems so I'm kind of on the fence as I'm sure someone will hakchi that sucker too if Sega doesn't obviously leave the door open anyway (as they did for a decade with their genesis/atgames agreement.)

Edited by Tanooki

I'm confused what 2019 Sega Genesis Flashback?

They did a HD one for 2017 which had problems, and then 2018 uses Genesis GX Plus they licensed and added a SD card slot on the right which ended up finally being a solid unit.

Can you show me some proof of a 3rd unit for 2019 and how to spot it by the box or something? I'd like to know more or is this very confused as the 2018 unit was out very late that year.

Also that Legends Flashback isn't there a couple of releases on that one too?

I've been thinking I'd like to get a cheap but non-trashy way to run some Sega 8/16bit games again on my TV and the MegaNT+Kit option is overkill, and I don't need a lame swiss army knife pi or of the sort mess either which is supremely unattractive. I know Sega has something out later this year, but it'll be a closed bit like the Nintendo systems so I'm kind of on the fence as I'm sure someone will hakchi that sucker too if Sega doesn't obviously leave the door open anyway (as they did for a decade with their genesis/atgames agreement.)

The Genesis Flashback HD 2018 was called Mega Drive Flashback 2019 in Europe, but it's essentially the same device.

About the Legends Flashback, there is only one device: https://www.atgames.us/products/legends-flashback

If you only want run Sega 8bit/16bit roms, a cartridge slot and wireless controllers are not mandatory, and you don't mind having some delay in the audio, go for the Legends Flashback. Walmart is selling it for $30, which is a great value for what's possible to do with the device. With the custom firmware you can load Master System, Game Gear, Genesis, NES and some arcade games (CPS1, CPS2, some Neo Geo games and MAME 2000).

Now there is this. Someone said it does not have a cart slot in some of the Q&A and it is not mentioned in the description (neither is an sd card slot), but it looks like it has a standard cart slot from the pics.

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis-Mini/dp/B07PFT19MG

what say you? Trading improved build quality for: 1) ability to play cards, 2)ability to use sd card, 3) 40 games instead of 81

That's mostly rhetorical since there are two other threads on it.

Now there is this. Someone said it does not have a cart slot in some of the Q&A and it is not mentioned in the description (neither is an sd card slot), but it looks like it has a standard cart slot from the pics.

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis-Mini/dp/B07PFT19MG

what say you? Trading improved build quality for: 1) ability to play cards, 2)ability to use sd card, 3) 40 games instead of 81

That's mostly rhetorical since there are two other threads on it.

That's the new thing, which is not out yet. It's very small, like the SNES and NES and Playstation minis. The cartridge slot won't work, it's just there for show and to be cute. It should have an SD card slot for adding games, or if it doesn't, there should be a reasonably user-friendly way to hack it so it can be flashed with more games or accept an external flash drive. It's not out yet so I doubt anyone knows for sure.

If you only want run Sega 8bit/16bit roms, a cartridge slot and wireless controllers are not mandatory, and you don't mind having some delay in the audio, go for the Legends Flashback. Walmart is selling it for $30, which is a great value for what's possible to do with the device. With the custom firmware you can load Master System, Game Gear, Genesis, NES and some arcade games (CPS1, CPS2, some Neo Geo games and MAME 2000).

Well that explains things, a later into 2019 release of 2018 hardware to confuse people. Actually the cart slot is something I'd possibly want to explore, wireless is not preferred but not a deal breaker, but depending how the audio delay is that would drive me nuts. Also I could not care less about it running NES, CPS1/2, Neo Geo (have a real MVS and plenty on it legit of 161in1), and if less than zero interest were possible that for MAME.) Some days I just miss having my old SMS/GG around is all, so that would be a perk.

• 8 months later...