IGNORED

A Poll about doing an OutRun for A8...

José Pereira

About doing an OutRun for A8...  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If is more simple and a possible way to have it then would you consider a 'dirty' and 'quicker' version similar to C64 with all wide single colour with no sides own colour (like grass, water) but still gfxs (trees, rocks, signs, buildin...

• Yes, is better than having nothing
    • No, it needs to have the sides floor
    • Make it without the sides floor colour by now maybe it'll help for a future version with it
    • Any of the two is good for me
    • Don't do it because an A8 version will never be good and similar to the arcade version
    • I don't have any opinion

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I think if digital sounds were to be used at 4 kilohertz and done with a very short version of the sounds it would probably work pretty well.  Everything except the engine sound. If I recall the sounds can be played not using every DLI so that the game doesn't have to be stopped to play them.

Edited by Kjmann

10 hours ago, Kjmann said:

Wouldn't it be possible to mute channel one and play a sound effect, then start the channel again? 

Or how about using some digital sounds the way we did in tempest xtreem?

Digital sounds would use a lot of CPU so couldn't be relied on extensively.

As for muting and replaying:  if the music routine could be made smart enough to resume the music at the correct point after the sound fx finish on that channel ...

Meanwhile, will try to find the SMS music and have a play...

16 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

As for muting and replaying:  if the music routine could be made smart enough to resume the music at the correct point after the sound fx finish on that channel .... 

I think the person to ask about this would be vinscool. 

I could make my versions of the songs 3 channels, but the harmony would be missing from the songs. 

Still would probably sound ok, but before we do that, lets ask vinscool about it. 

Ok.  Here is the response from vinscool in playing a sound effect over a channel already playing music in progress.... 

VinsCool said..

Yes it's absolutely possible, as long as there is code that keeps track of the sfx playing, and overwrites the POKEY channel that also is playing the music, the SFX will take priority over it, and will play the SFX for as long as it is told to do it.

So in simpler terms: have the music driver run first, then the SFX code run and overwrite the channel that wants a SFX if anything triggered a SFX to play, and the remaining process will be handled by the music driver when it writes out the buffered bytes to the POKEY before playing for another frame, and be hijacked by the SFX once more, and so on.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Outrun on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH at 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2022 at 4:44 PM, Kjmann said:

I will help anyway I can to get this one finished.  After a coder or two and I get it done,  i would like to release it for free ans see if al wants to offer a nice cart version and package to sell in the store for the collectors. Any one is welcome to pitch in on this.  I will post the source code if yall want it. 

Maybe this will be picked up and completed in his honor, the source code and WIP are in this thread. Too many times projects are laid to rest with the person who kicked it off or were the main driving force behind them. They want/wish their work to continue to grow and be the best it can be, to be completed not locked in time or held as an untouchable memorial. It would be a nice touch to send him off as this being one of the things during his coming back.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...