IGNORED

HSC Season 16 Round 1 Poll

Vote for the first game of the season!  

20 members have voted

1. 1. See the post below for info on the games

• Space Fortress Omega (unreleased final version)
    • Yoomp!
    • Highway Encounter
    • Laura
    • Shamus+ (new maps version)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The first poll of Season 16 :party:

The concensus is that you may want more new games so we'll start the season with a poll full of them, well amost. In fact you have one unreleased game to pick from, can't get much newer than that! The poll will end as soon as I think we have enough people on board and a clear winner, hopefully at the weekend or early next week. Might alternate new and old polls we'll see how it goes ;-)

Space Fortress Omega

post-19705-0-25883100-1547759513.png

This was my abbuc game from 2016, I developed it for another year at least and it was going to be released as a boxed game to support either of the Atari Magazines but as that has not happened I wanted to get it out there and where better than here in the HSC ;)

It's not an all out shooter but is a multiple stage vertical scroller with the objective of collecting missiles and using them to repair (shoot) the required number of power generators (shown in screenshot). 10 levels with various obstacles and baddies plus has a performance based ranking system too! NTSC compatible.

Yoomp!

yoomp%21.png

Superb 10/10.

Bounce through the tunnels, without falling off. Play v1.1

Fandal , atarimania has PAL and NTSC versions

Highway Encounter

highway_encounter.png

New! Not played it yet sorry! If anyone can post an overview of this one please do so :thumbsup:wikipedia has full info:

Highway Encounter is a strategy/action game played from a 3D isometric perspective in which you must successfully chaperone a bomb along a long, straight stretch of highway and into the alien base at the end of it.There are thirty screens to pass through and most are filled with hazards that threaten to block your progress (such as barrels) or destroy you (aliens and explosive mines).

Conversion from the ZX Spectrum by mariuszw, Miker, Jose Pereira, Shanti 2018.

Atariage

Fandal XEX

New Adventures of Laura

laura.png

(screenshot from original version). I did play the original a while ago and it's pretty good, sort of walking puzzler, perhaps simialrish to Robbo. This is the third game in the series not sure if it's new levels or has any extra features Requires 130XE

Atarionline.pl (click on translation button)

Fandal XEX

Shamus+

shamusplus.png

Atariage's slx recently did some work adding more maps to Shamus. Scoring is flawed (as you get more points for shooting re-spawned guya than doiing the levels) but we can play for progress e.g. Keys / Doors / Levels completed. Would be cool if it left cleared rooms empty, will send slx a message to see if he wan'ts to develop this more!

Atariage

Edited by therealbountybob
Info on Highway Encounter
  • Like 1

Yeah, pretty much elsewhere in life you need to choose one thing out of multiple options, so I guess we were spoiled (and it sometimes might have skewed the results) last season. I'm really good either way, and am sure that the runners-up will return later in the season.

• Like 2

Biased for this round but if Shamus+ doesnt make it this round I can try to look into a modified HSC scoring system. Shouldnt be too hard, suggestions for what should be scored welcome. My initial idea was keys taken plus potions/bonuses taken plus some measure of either rooms seen or highest numbered room seen. Someone advancing or even finishing a level without using bonuses/potions would probably be a better player, however, so subtracting those might make more sense. Rooms seen rewards exploring, would probably be a bit more complicated to implement (as it needs some kind of table or addition to the map data), but actually you dont really need to visit all rooms to win as there are dead ends. Keys are a good (if rough) measure of progress but might not be consistent between different mazes. Same for highest room as the difficulty of reaching highernumbered rooms depends a lot on maze design.

So maybe about 20 points per key minus about 5 per bonus taken plus some measure of time summed up for all mazes played to reward exploring as many of the new mazes as possible.

Somehow beating Yoomp! into submission SFO wins the first poll of the season. Round 1 has now started so I'm locking this poll thread. Yoomp! and possibly other games that got a few votes will appear again soon. If you miss the start of the season just join in at any time :thumbsup:

• Like 2