IGNORED

Question about submissions

chad5200

Hi Chad!

Next, on the subject of submissions. Can we assume that if there is not a picture of the cartridge, manual, or box in the Rarity Guide then that is because no one has submitted that photo? I don't want to double up submissions that someone else is already working on.

At this point Alex and I have probably scanned nearly every 2600, 5200, and 7800 item we have (which is where nearly all the images have come from, thus far). The only exception is 2600 manuals, we haven't started into those yet. For everything else, if there's a hole that means we need a scan! Please submit to your heart's content, it doesn't usually take us very long to get the images online. If you'd like to check first before taking the time to scan something, please drop us a line and we'll get you an answer ASAP.

For example, I have a mint, boxed Shuttle Orbiter that I can scan the manual and box for you. Also, the cart is in better condition than the one in the Rarity Guide, would you like scans of cartridges in better condition?

Please do scan Shuttle Orbiter, that'd be great! All we ask are that the scans for boxes and manuals are at least 600 pixels wide (for boxes, and 600 wide for an individual manual page, so if you scan two pages of a manual together we'd need it at a width of at least 1200, which we'll then hack up into two images). If you can scan them even higher, that's great as it allows us to crop/shrink the images for better quality. I typically scan everything at 200 or 300 dpi, save the originals for later reference, and then reduce the images to a width of 600 for the site. We'd also prefer to get images with very little (or no!) compression so we can compress them ourselves to maintain consistency with all the images on the site.

While I know we don't have the box or cart for Shuttle Orbiter, I'm not sure about the manual. I doubt I have a copy of the manual, but perhaps Alex does. Again, we haven't gone through our manuals yet (very soon!), and they tend to be the most time consuming items to scan.

And if you have better scans of any items, please pass 'em along. I know some of my cartridges and boxes aren't in the best shape. Getting pristine scans of everything on the site will always be an ongoing goal..

Thanks!

..Al

No kidding...I felt bad having to submit my less than pristine 7800 Rampage Cart. But as is typical of Activision...it has that glue oil residue coming through on that label. But at least we have a scan of the 7800 version of rampage...hehe..Perhaps someday...someone will be able to provide a better scan of that one...and kick mine off the list *sniff*

This might be helpful:

Flatbed Scanner Tips

Many websites have images that people scanned in. Some look great, but others have that ugly herringbone interference pattern.

After I read some stuff on how to scan in magazine pages, my images improved a lot since I first got my flatbed scanner.

In case anyone cares, here's what I do/use:

First, I read that since magazine pages are so thin, putting black construction paper behind them will stop the other side from showing through on your scans. This works for scanners and copy machines. If your scanner has a black lid, you don't have to worry about this.

My scanner resolution is set to 900 dpi and the descreen is set to magazine (133 lpi). I resize the images using a photo editor and clean them up when necessary. I resize to 650 pixels across for single pages, and 750 pixels across for double pages.

Scanning at 900 dpi and resizing ensures that I won't have any moiré patterns.

I found a good web site with two pages that talk about Moiré Interference. Here's the address if you want to visit:

http://www.scantips.com/basics06.html

Make sure you click on the "Next" button at the bottom of the page to see the second part of the tutorial.

First, I wanted to say WOW! The new site is awesome!

Next, on the subject of submissions. Can we assume that if there is not a picture of the cartridge, manual, or box in the Rarity Guide then that is because no one has submitted that photo? I don't want to double up submissions that someone else is already working on.

For example, I have a mint, boxed Shuttle Orbiter that I can scan the manual and box for you. Also, the cart is in better condition than the one in the Rarity Guide, would you like scans of cartridges in better condition?

Regards,

Chad