IGNORED

HSC16 Round 1: Space Fortress Omega

@trbb

Suggested Manual Edit

Auto Missile or Press and Hold only works at the reactors ?

The only nagging thing I didn't program was to have / show the missiles that repair the reactors in flight - they just look like your normal shots (they are the normal shots!). On ACE you hold fire to toggle between normal shots and guided shots that track the enemies :)

If the white pixels of the 4x8 double width pixel font were background black instead, the text would be far more readable. I don't understand Atari graphics modes to determine if that is possible though it would seem to be.

Todays lesson :D ... I'm using (almost) literally every last byte of free memory so made the decision to share the font across different graphics modes: the same font is used on the title screen and bar. The mode on the bar is only 4 pairs of 2 pixels across so the bits that make something look round on the title screen say on an "a" are chopped into pairs and this mode translates them into coloured blocks 2 pixels wide e.g.

00 black

01 white

10 grey

11 colour 1

11 inverse colour 2

you can't have a single pixel on only two.

I could have chosen to have less features/smaller playfield/use a normal text mode on the bar/use another font designed for the title bar mode etc. :)

Yes, I am very well aware of the 4x8 multi colour modes from my years on the VIC-20 and C64, but I didn't realize you reuse the same font data both in hires and multi colour modes.

In principle this is what the same effect would look like on the C64, though even worse looking due to the default font:

post-5454-0-84963300-1548422854.gif

Edited by carlsson

Yes, I am very well aware of the 4x8 multi colour modes from my years on the VIC-20 and C64, but I didn't realize you reuse the same font data both in hires and multi colour modes.

In principle this is what the same effect would look like on the C64, though even worse looking due to the default font:

I chose to do this to have more RAM. In Ramp Rage I kept GR.1 for the game status bar so that was the same font, in Ski-It I've used another font (half font) for the title screen and status bar and World Records. You can assign a font to *each* row using the display list.

GR.12 and GR.13 on the Atari are the multi-colour mode, this screenshot shows the 4 colour text with two colours turned off to make it readable

post-19705-0-54599300-1548429017.png

so if anyone wants to follow, load BASIC and enter this

GRAPHICS 13

PRINT #6;"HELLO THERE HSC FANS"

SETCOLOUR 3,0,0

SETCOLOUR 1,0,0

Let's see some more scores folks :-D

• Like 1

@TRBB it is really cool to play a homebrew, your homebrew! Played it once now, and I must say: well done. It is quite an achievement creating such a game in Mac/65 on your own. Great to play, I will try my best to get a decent score :D

On Real atari (using PAL televisions) it is (almost) impossible to see what my score is. I can post pic later, perhaps someone can tell me what score is.

And a suggestion: wouldn't it be cooler if the score would also grow while just flying (like it happens on Space Harrier). Progressing through the field is also something that could be rewarded with points. In the manual I read the story, about 48 hours. I do not see this 48 hours element back in the game. Am I right this element (48 hours) is not in the game?

And last, (how) do I recognize the reactors?

Edited by Marius
  • Like 1

I have more questions...

The manual is not so clear (probably it is me, not being native english) about the P character I collect from time to time.

I also get rankings that are not listed in the manual which is confusing (for me). What is a Space Lobster or a Lost in Space ranking? Haha.

Thanks M,

The last score and high score are shown again on the scroller on the title screen. I'm on my PAL 130XE on a CRT and it's okish like I said I'm out of RAM so unlikely to make any changes unless there is anything broken (I'm stilll working on SKI-IT v1.3 the final version this time!)

Just played again, on PILOT reached level 2 again with a similar score 16,780 and same rank Space Cruiser Class 1. Yes the game is hard but the controls are good and the stages are shorter than you might think - the restart points come in handy!

Also played on ACE and reached level 2, just 11,520 Space Traveller, Class 2 - "2" as I crashed in the last bit and finished with 1 target outstanding :twisted: Was fun on Ace with the manual firing and the homing missiles.

I have more questions...

The manual is not so clear (probably it is me, not being native english) about the P character I collect from time to time.

I also get rankings that are not listed in the manual which is confusing (for me). What is a Space Lobster or a Lost in Space ranking? Haha.

I don't want to give away all the secrets :P

P=Power Up collect as many as you can.

Space Lobster is another of the lowest rankings and another Atari reference ;)

space_lobsters_2.gif

Lost in Space is a cult Space Family TV program which no doubt they are ruining (if that's possible) with the remake :-D

I'm on my PAL 130XE on a CRT and it's okish like I said I'm out of RAM so unlikely to make any changes unless there is anything broken

Before I understand you wrong. I thought you were interested in Feedback (you ask for this in your OP). I thought: let me express my experiences with the game ;) but if you are out of ram, I'd better not come with all kind of suggestions or feedback ;)

Anyway, I think it is amazing that you created this on your own. I think it is always extremely hard to finish something started. So again: well done. It is a complete game with a beautiful manual, a background story ( I always like that) several goals to reach and enemies and other cool stuff. It is also very clear to me that you did put a lot of time and energy in the game and that it was a fun proces. Great!

There is one thing though, that I want to say about the game too. IMHO the game should be slightly more forgiving when it comes to crashes or space to make your movement. When I get out of the energy tunnel somewhere in the game, I have to slow down to slowest speed or I will crash to a future wall. Especially when your energy is already (almost) at max, you have to be speed up (otherwise overcharged and die) and then slow down at a VERY critical point. When I steer to the left 0.0001 second too early (because I want to leave the energy tunnel) I already crash too. It is some kind of skill as a game player I do not want to invest in, since it feels that I only have to exercise this skill because of the game is not forgiving enough. Except or not crashing, the improved skill does not bring me much (except for getting further in the game perhaps).

An 'important' element of a game for me is the way I attribute mistakes I make to myself or to the game. When I do everything right and I still crash, that does feed (unwanted and unintended) frustration of the player. When I take a risk, or when I do stupid things like flying way to fast or whatever and I crash, I do understand this and I do not feel this frustration at all. But sometimes (because for instance enemies are randomly appearing and moving in such a way that it is impossible to pass that place in the maze, or that it takes too long before they finally die after a serious amount of hits, or the slightly too hard to control spaceship) I do not have enough control over the game and then it feels like bad luck that I die. This kills motivation (at least for me).

When I take Yoomp for instance (that was the other game in the poll). I feel everything is right. The controls are just like they should be. And once I miss/lose, I only have to blame myself.

Please do not take this as bashing or unkind criticism. It might be something to take in consideration in your following projects (or not, it is up to you of course!)

I only can repeat what I wrote at the top of this reply: it is AWESOME that you finish projects, and that you are capable writing your own stuff; excellent and I hope you will continue doing this. I now return to the atari, since I still want to get till the end of level 1 at least ;)

• Like 1

:thumbsup: M, Yes all feedback welcome - you can be direct of course, I'm glad for any reponses!

On Trainee the game is easier including fuel, tunnels, aliens, and you have more lives to compensate fof the difficulty. SFO is intended to offer some long term play so it will take some time to master. The manual is a good read and tells you about the energy tunnels and how to burn fuel by holding down when flying if you need to, some tunnels and tight bits are harder than others, you usually have a choice of 2-3 routes to take. The aliens only drain fuel so don't panic and you can scroll past them by going faster.

I've played twice on Pilot and got to the 2nd stage both times, I'd not played this in a couple of years so I think it's about right. Lots of little taps l/r and longer shunts l/r to get past things, not much holding back for too long. More play more familiar with the fortress layout and what you can get away with.

Maybe SFO 2 one day with some improvements :) .

• Like 1

Made progress now. I have to say: when you start hitting those reactors, it is getting more addictive. Really nice.

Class 1

Space Traveler (15)

Level: Pilot

post-3114-0-14800600-1548526742_thumb.jpg

I will try to improve some more. I did not make it to recharge all the reactors. I believe I had still 5 to do or so.

@TRBB: The issue with the score is not with all numbers. There are a few numbers that have such a strange shape, that I do not know which number they represent. I'll try to make a photo when I have questions.

Edited by Marius
  • Like 2

That's great you are making progress :thumbsup:

Might just have to do the first tables tomorrow folks!

I'm thinking for round two we'll do a poll of the older/classic games and then we can decide what we want to do for the rest of the season :)

p.s. the baddies have individual traits and some are tougher than others, that Sun Orb thing takes a lot of killing, if only there were power-ups and shields, oh wait a minute, there are :D

• Like 1

There is something I do not understand...

I have a higher score now (7220) but my ranking is lower? Is the ranking not linked to score but something else (like how many enemies you did blast away?)

Anyway:

My highest score so far: 7220 (this score is hard to see)

My highest ranking so far: Space Traveler (see post #38)

My highest class: 1

post-3114-0-94015500-1548529040_thumb.jpg

post-3114-0-67904000-1548529057_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Lots of posts :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There is something I do not understand...

I have a higher score now (7220) but my ranking is lower? Is the ranking not linked to score but something else (like how many enemies you did blast away?)

Anyway:

My highest score so far: 7220 (this score is hard to see)

My highest ranking so far: Space Traveler (see post #38)

My highest class: 1

The ranking system is related to progress and performance (and destroying things), not necessarily score - (from memory) you can get more points for repairing a chain of generators without crashing there is a multiplier like in pac-man etc.

Hehe I know... I was wondering how long is the shield active?

quite long!! there powerups are pretty often something like 1 in 3 (again from memory) so it is worth destroying the aliens - the different types each have their own way of moving/attacking etc and I think some will always give a certain power up (might be making this up now). The shield is Vanguard style so very useful.

Slight improvement:l

17,180 - Space Cruiser Class 1

Played on Pilot level, reached level 2

Thought I was going to beat TRBB's score for a minute - then I crashed into some rocks three times in a row. :-D

I programmed that in :grin:

SFO (Pilot) - 5400 pts, rank Space Lobster class 1. Still not clearing the first level.

the next ranking is about half way through the level, play on Trainee and just concentrate on staying alive to start with. I think your ship only crashes on the green bit not the orange bit so you might be able to use that to your advantage.

Me neither Carlsson, but I have been playing using Altirra and the keyboard as my C64 is still on the desk!
I've been trying to beat The Last Ninja, another great game we haven't got on the Atari sadly

No way with keyboard, this game has some delicate controls that need a series of controlled taps in the tight spots plus the diagonals down too.

:)

• Like 1

Although I did type some suggestions to improve the game, I want to emphasize how cool this game actually is. It is easy today with all the fabulous games from very skilled people, to skip titles that do not look or feel as smooth on the first try. But now I have tried to improve myself and keep trying, the games gets really more challenging. In fact, I am occupied by some work to do right now, I can't wait to fire it up again and play some more Space Fortress Omega!

And now we are asking: I already had a few P powerups, but I seriously have no idea what it does do. I guess powerup is something different than energy?

Great first round TRBB!

• Like 1

play on Trainee and just concentrate on staying alive to start with.

Ok, small improvement. I destroyed 10 targets, but when I died I got one more target to destroy. Perhaps that is according to the rules, I didn't read them very close.

SFO (Trainee) - 6550 pts, rank Galactic Hitchhiker class 1

• Like 1

Here are some sort of tables! We'll play for rank then score, not sure how we will score things in terms of HSC points but this first round is more about getting everyone involved. I probably wont score my points to be fair, but if you want to claim the win then you'll have to beat my score ;)

Pilot
trbb 18,060 Space Cruiser - Class 1
graywest 17,180 Space Cruiser - Class 1
McKong 7,410 Space Traveller - Class 1
Marius 6,380 Space Traveller - Class 1
carlsson 5,400 Space Lobster - Class 1
RedThunder 2,850 Lost In Space - Class 1
Sikor 1,580 Lost In Space - Class 1

Trainee
carlsson 6,550 Galactic Hitchhiker - Class 1
Sikor 2,370 Galactic Hitchhiker - Class 1

Ace
trbb 11,520 Space Traveller - Class 2
Sikor 1,760 Space Lobster - Class 1

@Marius The "P" power ups are cumulative and make your shots more damaging, not only to the aliens but also the barrier blocks.

@Carlsson If you crash after repairing the last required generator you get an extra one to do, so it's a good idea to leave at least 1 behind on the final stage (and hope you have a missile left!) unless you're feeling confident and want to max your score / get the multiplier for consecutive repairs, proabbly also more ranking goodness too for additional generators (I think).

• Like 1

@TRBB not that it does matter, but I also posted a 7220 score. Perhaps you can change that in the standings list. See here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/287349-hsc16-round-1-space-fortress-omega/?p=4206550

@Power Up

Oh that is SO great. Thanks. (Am I right that the shield does not protect against collision with the rock/playfield?)

Edited by Marius