IGNORED

Favorite Atari 8-bit Computer Homebrew Games?

Albert

On 1/22/2019 at 12:48 PM, Albert said:

I know there have been quite a few great Atari 8-bit homebrew games released over time, and I'd really like to try them out. Some I have played, but I know there are many I have never personally experienced. I'd love to get recommendations from members here on what their favorite Atari 8-bit homebrews are. Doesn't matter when they were released, I just want to hear everyone's favorites. I can then track them down and try them out.

Here's the list of games suggested, posted here in alphabetical order. Last updated 01/24/19:

Atari Blast!
AtariNet
Baby Berks
Beefdrop
BlowSub
Bomb Jack
Bosconian
Castle Crisis
Combat (2600)
Crownland
Cubico
Deathchase XE
Diamondz
Dimo's Dungeon
Dimo's Quest
Donkey Kong Arcade
Dr. Mario XE
Druidarium (WIP)
Dungeon Hunt
Dye
Dyna Blaster
ECKN+
Electro Maniac
Gridrunner
h3x0r (1K & Deluxe)
Heli In the Caves (Ext. Edition)
His Dark Majesty
Hundreds of 10Liners
Isora
Jewel Bits
Jim Slide
Loops (DX & Zen)
Major Blink
Manic Miner
Marbled
Mind Blast
Monex
Nibbly
Ocean Detox
Pac-Mad
Pac-Man Arcade
Pad
Pang
Pang (PAL)
Platform Engine
Project-M v2
RGB
Ridiculous Reality
Robix
Scramble
Seaquest (2600)
Skool Daze
Space Harrier
Star Raiders (Phaeron v7a)
Stunt Car Racer
Sudoku Sweep
Swapz
Tempest Elite
Tensor
Thetris
Time Pilot
TriPeaksXE
Udders
Venture
X-8
Yie Ar Kung-Fu
Yoomp!

Thanks!

..Al

This list deserves to be updated...

• 2 years later...

What really amazes me is that no one has mention the cartridge version of Alternate Reality: The City that is in the Homebrew.zip Mr Fish posted, it's a 1MB image. The only problem I have with it is that if you create a new character it can't be saved to the .car it asks for a formatted blank disk. Since I'm an Apple guy and new to Atari I'm not sure if I have a formatted blank disk image or if not how to go about creating one.

• 7 months later...

Could be very nice for a console-guy like me, if the developers of original homebrews got as many of these ported to be used with the AtariMax Ultimate for the 5200 as possible…

I mean, ROMs can be sold.

(I say this, because it may be lots of work)

And many of these original homebrews looks better than much of what was released during retail-time.

With the AtariMax I got AtariBlast… which  is  a real blast to play… 

… well, it’s a real blast on every front graphics, sound, gameplay, lenght, power-ups…

But, man, how I’d love to see Crownland make it to the 5200…!!! (I’m not the guy to ask if it could be done, but the 5200 really lacks good horizontally dcrolling platformers…)

Edited by Giles N

14 hours ago, Giles N said:

console-guy

The 8-bit computers are half console. Just get an 800XL or 130XE and one of these new wiz-bang multi-carts; load the SD up with all your favorite games and you're off. No need to wait/wish for something that's generally not going to happen (some newer games do end up on the 5200, at least).

38 minutes ago, MrFish said:

something that's generally not going to happen (some newer games end up on the 5200, at least).

… well, stuff like this will have to be up the individual developers (persons/teams) of course.

But it would at least be cool to see more titles, either existing ones or new ones, using the features of the AtariMax Ultimate for 5200.

15 minutes ago, Giles N said:

… well, stuff like this will have to be up the individual developers (persons/teams) of course.

But it would at least be cool to see more titles, either existing ones or new ones, using the features of the AtariMax Ultimate for 5200.

Yeah, I'm not trying to discourage converting games for the 5200 from the 8-bits; in fact, I like seeing it happen. Quite a bit has been done already. Using Crownland for instance, though, the developer has not been active in public 8-bit development, generally, since the release of Crownland (he did show some work on an improved PMG multiplexer after Crownland was released -- demonstrating Contra, Super Mario, and a vertical-scrolling shooter beta called "Ripper"). So, someone would have to be real ambitious about getting that running on the 5200, working from only a binary to start with (it's also 128K computer and PAL only). I'd be happy to just see an NTSC version on the 8-bit computer; but I highly doubt that will ever happen either. It's a pretty simple platformer in terms of gameplay; but it uses some nice graphic design and effects. It's pretty fun to play.

The 8-bit computers don't really have all that many scrolling platformers. We've many more single screen and multi-screen static platformers. They've trickled in over the years. We'd all like to see more for the 8-bit/5200 ecosystem.

• Like 1

@MrFish

Perhaps it would feel more rewarding writing games and/or doing conversions if the hardware-capabilities are bridged to some degree?

This is what the AtariMax Ultra offers (I just put what they say themselves, as I’m no hardware-geek/genius):  

The Atari 5200 Ultimate SD cartridge is an SD card based multi-cart for your Atari 5200 game system.

The Ultimate SD is the most advanced cartridge ever produced for the Atari 5200 and includes a 50 MIPS onboard CPU, advanced upgradable hardware logic, 1024KB of SRAM and 512KB of block flash.

The Ultimate SD Cartridge supports the following Atari 5200 ROM formats:

• All standard 32K or less ROM images.
  • All bank-switched ROM images including Bounty Bob Strikes Back! 
  • MEGA-CART Bank-switched ROM images up to 1024KB (M.U.L.E, etc)
  • New modes including the Hybrid 1024KB full Read/Write 8k/8k Bank-switching mode

The bank switching logic, CPU firmware, boot flash and menu software are all 100% field upgradable by just placing new files on the SD card and turning on the system!

Edited by Giles N

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

This is what the AtariMax Ultra offers

Definitely makes more things possible. One of the factors is motivation. If a developer uses an 8-bit system himself and doesn't own a 5200, there's not much motivation for extending development to the 5200. There are exceptions to this, of course.

To demonstrate the problem/issue further, though: people who are developers for PAL 8-bit computer systems quite often have no motivation for making their creations compatible with NTSC; and it's basically analogous to the reason stated above. In a way, the attitude is understandable, because it's hard enough to complete development for one system; and once it's done, the developers are most likely interested in moving on to their next project, rather than pounding out some compatibility (NTSC) or related-system (5200) version.

7 hours ago, MrFish said:

The 8-bit computers are half console. Just get an 800XL or 130XE and one of these new wiz-bang multi-carts; load the SD up with all your favorite games and you're off.

You say half computer/half console - get a multi-cart…

You mention PAL vs NTSC (I live in Norway where PAL used to be the standard)

I mean like this (pictures), or more in addition like a cartridge/console module?

IMG_7188.jpeg

IMG_7189.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Giles N said:

(I live in Norway where PAL used to be the standard)

It's not the standard there anymore?

10 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I mean like this (pictures), or more in addition like a cartridge/console module?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. You need the multicart to run games from the machine, just like with a 5200; but you don't need anything in addition to that and the machine itself.

BTW, if you're considering buying any 8-bit computer, avoid buying one that's been used with a power supply that looks exactly like that one shown in your pictures. The reason why is because it's known as an "Ingot", and has a bad reputation for failure and frying computer components. Buy one that has any other Atari computer power supply than that one. If you search on this forum for "Ingot" you can read some discussions about it and other Atari 8-bit computer power supplies.

16 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. You need the multicart to run games from the machine, just like with a 5200; but you don't need anything in addition to that and the machine itself.

The cartridge slot.

In the one I found shown above, there’s nothing looking like a typical cartridge slot like on consoles.

I’ve seen pictures of Atari 400 or 800 consoles and other stuff that have slots on top of them.

Are the ports on the back of the computer where I would insert a modern ‘wiz-bang multicart’…?

Or do I need another model?

- - -

Here’s an American (ntsc) model.

The cartridge slot is obviously on the top.

IMG_7193.thumb.jpeg.e6ddd7e5e09a29e9a1b28bdcba6c1448.jpeg

I need a PAL (btw - as for electric power, we have 240 out the sockets, but no-one uses crt-tvs except retro-gamers. I have an ok crt PAL tv) console, but need to know what I should look for.

Edited by Giles N

13 minutes ago, Giles N said:

The cartridge slot.

In the one I found shown above, there’s nothing looking like a typical cartridge slot like on consoles.

I’ve seen pictures of Atari 400 or 800 consoles and other stuff that have slots on top of them.

Are the ports on the back of the computer where I would insert a modern ‘wiz-bang multicart’…?

Or do I need another model?

Yeah, the 130XE (and 65XE) is somewhat of a unique beast in that respect. Basically, what you have there on the back is where the cartridge connects. There's no "slot" per se, but what's there is what you would find inside any cartridge slot. So, it's like its insides are outside, somewhat.

Part of the reason for it is because (on this model) it's made to work in conjunction with the other (smaller) connector on the back (some devices plug into both ports simultaneously). The larger one is the cartridge connector/port, the smaller one is called the ECI port. You may end up using this port with your multicart, as it can provide extra features. For instance, the AVG multicart uses this port to provide extra memory for your system (I think 576 KB). It just uses a small cable to connect the multicart to this port for the memory. Using the cable is an optional feature, and the cable has a small additional fee.

My first machine was a 130XE. Some people don't like the cart port location, but I never disliked it. My little brother and sisters used it all the time too, and I never heard them complain either. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think I found a picture that was a little more clarifying:

IMG_7194.thumb.jpeg.84aa75134287efad0c644ec027da1b1c.jpeg

So it would be to insert the multicart into either of these, directly or via a cable, then it would operate much like a console-version…?

(What I like about consoles is the directness of it all - plug and play. But simple interfaces/menus are ok too.

If it’ll have involve lots of commands, I can certainly live with it, but it looses charm in proportion to complex menus to operate or commando to punch in).

20 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Here’s an American (ntsc) model.

The cartridge slot is obviously on the top.

That's an XEGS (XE Game System), or technically just called the XE System. Somewhat of a hybrid computer/console. The do make a PAL version (and SECAM). You'll (typically) pay more for an XEGS than either a 130XE or 800XL system. That's because people are in love with those pastel buttons. :D

800XL, 600XL, XEGS, 400, and 800 all have top-loading cartridge slots. I suggested 130XE and 800XL because these are the easiest systems to get started with, and they don't cost as much as an XEGS. If you can afford one, the XEGS is a nice system. I've owned a few (still own one now too).

28 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I need a PAL

Having a PAL system will allow you to play more games.

30 minutes ago, Giles N said:

(btw - as for electric power, we have 240 out the sockets...

Yeah, I assumed that.

31 minutes ago, Giles N said:

...I have an ok crt PAL tv) console, but need to know what I should look for.

Any CRT TV will work well enough for gaming; but it's helpful if it at least has composite or s-video (chroma/luma) input, rather than just RF. You'll get clearer picture with composite, and even more clear with s-video (chroma/luma).

So it would be to insert the multicart into either of these, directly or via a cable, then it would operate much like a console-version…?

The multicart attaches directly to the cartridge port on the back. You don't need anything else.

What I was talking about regarding the extra cable was just for connecting to the expansion (ECI) port in order to gain extra memory with the AVG multicart. As I said, it's optional.

(What I like about consoles is the directness of it all - plug and play. But simple interfaces/menus are ok too.

If it’ll have involve lots of commands, I can certainly live with it, but it looses charm in proportion to complex menus to operate or commando to punch in).

The computers are just plug and play too. If you plug a commercial game cart into it and turn the machine on, you're ready to play the game, just like with a 5200. If you're using a multicart, you obviously need to select which game you want to run from the multicart first; but this would also be required for a 5200 multicart; nothing different.

There's nothing indirect about using cartridges with an Atari 8-bit computer. They use cartridges just like a console does. That's why I said they were 1/2 console.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrFish said:

The multicart attaches directly to the cartridge port on the back. You don't need anything else.

What I was talking about regarding the extra cable was just for connecting to the expansion (ECI) port in order to gain extra memory with the AVG multicart. As I said, it's optional.

The computers are just plug and play too. If you plug a commercial game cart into it and turn the machine on, you're ready to play the game, just like with a 5200. If you're using a multicart, you obviously need to select which game you want to run from the multicart first; but this would also be required for a 5200 multicart; nothing different.

There's nothing indirect about using cartridges with an Atari 8-bit computer. They use cartridges just like a console does. That's why I said they were 1/2 console.

👍🏻

Awesome - just need for the money to set aside (I have several other hobbies to indulge too).

- - -

Thanks for taking the time for spoon-feeding me to be up-to-date on the Atari 8-bit world!

Edited by Giles N

As an example, when my family first got our 130XE we used it for the first year we owned it with only cartridge games. We had no storage peripherals of any kind for it. So, we had the machine, game cartridges, and some joysticks... and plugged it into our TV set. Everyone in our family used it and it worked for us exactly how a console does. The only difference to speak of in that respect is that some games occasionally utilized the keyboard for extended functions; but it basically worked as an extension to the joystick, providing extra functionality for the few games that needed it. At the time, I think we only had one game that used the keyboard and that was Star Raiders (which I loved).

• Like 2