IGNORED

Kung Fu Combat- REDUX ( 1 or 2 players)

easmith

We'll be featuring Kung Fu Combat LIVE on today's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Thanks for correcting the issues that manifest themselves on digital hardware so we can give it a complete playthrough! :-)

Games:

- RVG Blast (2019) by Bitmap Soft aka zapiy
- RVG Blast 2 (2019) by Bitmap Soft aka zapiy
- Kung Fu Combat (2019 WIP) by Edward Smith aka easmith
- 2005 MiniGame MultiCart (2005) by Chris Walton, Fred Quimby, Bob Montgomery, and Zach Matley

post-37205-0-32822800-1550274604_thumb.jpg

I expect this to be the final version.

I added walking animation for the players. Thanks to Zero Page audience for pointing suggesting this.

Remember , games 1 and 3 are where fighters reset after a score. games 2 and 4 you keep fighting continuously. Game 5 is skills challenge.

Edited by easmith
  • Like 1

I expect this to be the final version.

I added walking animation for the players. Thanks to Zero Page audience for pointing suggesting this.

Remember , games 1 and 3 are where fighters reset after a score. games 2 and 4 you keep fighting continuously. Game 5 is skills challenge.

was blocking added? (as suggested by Zeropage Homebrew)

was blocking added? (as suggested by Zeropage Homebrew)

No , But I did realize I posted the wrong ROM. I have posted the real final in original post with game rules.

I did change default game to continuous fighting vs. reset positions.

I think the ability to block would make it too easy to defeat the computer opponent based on how the computer AI works. You could sit in block position and just wait for the computer to kick , then you could counter punch and score. I spent a lot of time trying to ensure that there wasn't one move or strategy that would work everytime.

Edited by easmith
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Michael Thomasson at Good Deal Games will be producing some carts of this game sometime this Summer.

I had to fix an issue where the game wold not start up correctly in bank 0 .

In this version I also switched the player and AI colors so the player has white outfit .

Kung Fu Combat Controls.txt

KFC.bin

Edited by easmith
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just picked this up from Michael Thomasson at CORGS-Con 2019 (Hilliard, OH). Only played it for a little bit, but it is a great homebrew!

post-61269-0-28449700-1559423274_thumb.jpg

High quality gloss labels and nice instruction sheet included.

Is the ROM still available for download? Also, added benefit. I tried this on my Retron77 and it recognized the game. GOOD JOB!!!!!

Edited by NISMOPC
  • Like 1

Just picked this up from Michael Thomasson at CORGS-Con 2019 (Hilliard, OH). Only played it for a little bit, but it is a great homebrew!

attachicon.gif61457362_10218641880268807_3031456138777329664_n.jpg

Is the ROM still available for download? Also, added benefit. I tried this on my Retron77 and it recognized the game. GOOD JOB!!!!!

Thanks. I re-posted the ROM.

I had a period recently where I was obsessing about downloads. I had finished my games 1vs 1 Basketball ( aka One on One ) and Kung Fu Combat, and was obsessively checking downloads . I was discouraged at the lack of downloads after creating what I thought were good games . So I took down the ROMS in order to stop compulsively checking downloads . This is also why I don't do Facebook or any other social media ( why don't more people like my post ? , etc) . :)

• Like 1

Thanks. I re-posted the ROM.

I had a period recently where I was obsessing about downloads. I had finished my games 1vs 1 Basketball ( aka One on One ) and Kung Fu Combat, and was obsessively checking downloads . I was discouraged at the lack of downloads after creating what I thought were good games . So I took down the ROMS in order to stop compulsively checking downloads . This is also why I don't do Facebook or any other social media ( why don't more people like my post ? , etc) . :)

Fully understand. That's life!

Thank you for the ROM. Keep on gaming my friend!

61457362_10218641880268807_3031456138777329664_n.jpg

Available at http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/Atari%202600.html

email Michael Thomasson at service@gooddealgames.com

Edited by easmith

Tell me about it. It's really depressing watching each revision get fewer downloads than the one previous.

Just downloaded the game. Looking forward to binging on this, Caverns and Galaga over the weekend.

Tell me about it. It's really depressing watching each revision get fewer downloads than the one previous.

Just downloaded the game. Looking forward to binging on this, Caverns and Galaga over the weekend.

If I may suggest a potential reason for fewer downloads on you final product. It may also be that people are waiting until they can get the full experience with a cart release. I know I, for one, can't wait to play 1 vs 1 and Kung Fu combat with family.

Thanks. That is nice to hear. I did not mean to sound like a whiner. I think a lot of it has to do with people waiting for a final version, and getting fatigued when there are constant updates ( which I tend to do ) . I just needed a break from checking for a while , even though it was not a rational concern. As much as we know intellectually that it is foolish to care what others think, or to care about approval, it still is hard to actually live life that way sometimes :)

• 5 months later...

Flashback portable ( 1 player only ) .

.  Remember to push down on controller to change facing direction . 

controls are shown again for reference.

Game option selected by Select Switch .  left score shows # players , right score shows game option .

Game 1  =   1 player , players reset to starting position after score

Game 2  =   1 player , players do not reset to starting position after score and keep fighting

Games 1 and 2 have 3 levels:

Level l  - Fight Computer AI to 20
Level 2  -  Skill test ( can you kick or punch 20 missiles without getting hit by 3 )
Level 3 - Fight computer AI to 20

If you can defeat all 3 levels, then you win  ( a trophy appears!)

Game 3  =   2 players , players reset to starting position after score. Fight to 20

Game 4  =   2 players , players do not reset to starting position after score and keep fighting.  Fight to 20

Scoring:

Punch  = 3 pts
high kick= 1 pts
low kick  = 2 pt
jump kick  = 1 pt

Game 5 = (mini game--- Skill Practice) How many of the 99 missiles  can you kick or punch without getting hit by 3?

Either button ( or reset switch) will reset game back to game select screen after game is over.

To start game press either button.

Additional feature:  select switch during gameplay will change background color.

Controls:

jump up                                            up

jump kick forward ( in direction facing only)  diagonal UP  ( in direction facing)

punch                                          button +forward

high kick                              button + diagonal UP (in direction facing)

low kick                             button + diagonal down ( in direction facing)

walk left                                          left

walk right                                          right

change  direction         down(can only punch,kick or jump in direction facing)

KungFuCombatPORTABLE.bin

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

This was the third game I made , when I had not learned ( been shown by NukeyShay actually ) how to make a 2 line kernel (other than with D. Spice's score routine).

I am extremely happy with the AI opponent , but was always a bit frustrated with fact that  using 1 line kernel  meant I had to use Flicker to get everything drawn , and also meant the players were a bit small in order to have the sunset and mountain background.   

I have  polished it up and eliminated the Flicker . Also made the fighters larger .  Still might polish up a thing or 2 but am happy with the result .

Simple game but I enjoy it :) 

Controls are below for reference .  Again, the most important thing to remember is that pushing down changes facing direction. 

Here is a quick playthrough with new graphics

Remember to push down on controller to change facing direction .

Game option selected by Select Switch .  left score shows # players , right score shows game option .

Game 1  =   1 player , players DO NOT reset to starting position after score and keep fighting

Game 2  =   1 player , players  reset to starting position after score

Games 1 and 2 have 3 levels:

Level 2  -  Skill test ( can you kick or punch 20 missiles without getting hit by 3 )

If you can defeat all 3 levels, then you win  ( a trophy appears!)

Game 3  =   2 players , players DO NOT reset to starting position after score and keep fighting. Fight to 20

Game 4  =   2 players , players  reset to starting position after score .  Fight to 20

Scoring:

Punch  = 3 pts
high kick= 1 pts
low kick  = 2 pt
jump kick  = 1 pt

Game 5 = (mini game--- Skill Practice) How many of the 99 missiles  can you kick or punch without getting hit by 3?

Either button ( or reset switch) will reset game back to game select screen after game is over.

Controls:

jump kick forward ( in direction facing only)  diagonal UP  ( in direction facing)

high kick                              button + diagonal UP (in direction facing)

low kick                             button + diagonal down ( in direction facing)

• Like 3

Thanks!

For now they play same except for the newer versions players don't jump as high off the screen.   But still tweaking it .

I have now added 2 more levels  :   a faster skill round and a third opponent .    The opponents also get faster  and now have different colored outfits .

definitely harder to beat now  as 1 player . 

This might end up being a 'Kung Fu Combat 2'  .       

I might add multiple backgrounds or add the option to remove the gate .    The players are same size .  What about it do you not like exactly ?  Is it just too much on the screen?

Updates :

Now there are 5 levels instead of 3 in one player game :

Levels 2 and 4 are skill levels , with 4 faster than 2.

Level 1, 3, and 5 are fight vs. AI opponent .

Now ,  level 3 AI opponent now wears gray Gi  and is faster.

Level 5 AI opponent wears   red Gi and is even faster .

• Like 1

ok . last update I think unless I catch a bug.

I was not happy with the large gate .  I think I like this background better . also dialed down the difficulty just a bit 

newgate.thumb.png.c6522e10318e30632af49253cd8a5649.png

Remember to push down on controller to change facing direction .

Game 1  =   1 player , players DO NOT reset to starting position after score and keep fighting

Game 2  =   1 player , players  reset to starting position after score

Games 1 and 2 have 5 levels:

Level 4  -  Skill test ( can you kick or punch 20 missiles without getting hit by 3 )

Level 5 - Fight computer AI to 20

If you can defeat all 5 levels, then you win  ( a trophy appears!)

Game 3  =   2 players , players DO NOT reset to starting position after score and keep fighting. Fight to 20

Game 4  =   2 players , players  reset to starting position after score .  Fight to 20

Scoring:

Punch  = 3 pts
high kick= 1 pts
low kick  = 2 pt
jump kick  = 1 pt

Controls:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1