IGNORED

Text Minikernel

Karl G

Version 0.7 is up. This includes:

• Fix for sprites not lining-up
  • Better text centering when score is disabled

At this point, I believe the minikernel is feature-complete, with the exception of the incompatibility with the Multisprite kernel. I do want to support the Multisprite kernel, so I will look into this next.

• Like 5

Good news on the Multisprite kernel front. Much to my own surprise, I was able to find and fix the noscore bug in the Multisprite kernel, which allowed the text kernel to work after I changed one of the variables.

I still am seeing it go over lines when I'm switching sprites in RT's 9 object demo, but it's looking more likely that I'll be able to get it to work now.

post-48311-0-73741900-1550421743.png

• Like 6

Version 0.8 is up. This version adds multisprite kernel support, and the documentation has been updated accordingly. I noticed that the contents of the DPCplus directory didn't make it into the zip file for the last release, but this has also been corrected. There are no changes to the support for the standard kernel or the DPC+ kernel since the last release.

• Like 5

Version 0.9 is up. This is only an extremely minor update for all kernels that adds one more symbol (pound sign, which uses the _po label, or, alternately _ht). Basically I miscalculated how many glyphs I could have with this before, and was able to add one more. If you don't have a need to use the extra symbol, then there's no reason to upgrade.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Karl,

I'm still a novice at this. How do I make the inline text12DPCplus.asm included with the .bin. I could never quite figure out how to accomplish that so basically I abandoned doing this to include the Title Screen Kernel. I'm trying to make it where when I or some downloads it on their phone they can play the game. Also the pdf was very helpful. I did strip down the DPC to make it user friendly for us beginners. Thanks for helping me with this.

***edit***

Never mind I answered my own question. I'm guessing the .asm was included in the .bin when I uploaded. I thought I had to do something special or extra to make it work.

20190309_DPC_Text.bas

20190309_DPC_Text.bas.bin

20190310 - DPC Text Template.txt

Edited by Lewis2907
  • Like 1

The PDF says "The user will need to dim a variable for the TextColor variable" but I don't see a dim for TextColor in the example program.

Troubleshooting

If you get a bunch of label mismatch errors when compiling, you're out of room. You may need to add more banks.

• Like 1

Good catch on the TextColor - that is already allocated by the minikernel. I meant to say TextIndex. I have an extremely minor update to the minikernel coming soon, so I'll make that change there.

For the label mismatch error, do you happen to still have any code that will trigger it? It doesn't make sense to me that that error would happen if you are out of space.

For the label mismatch error, do you happen to still have any code that will trigger it? It doesn't make sense to me that that error would happen if you are out of space.

I had an 8k SC program, added the text minikernel, then got a ton of label mismatch errors. I couldn't find anything wrong, but after re-reading that the text minikernel weighs in at a whopping 1200 bytes, I figured that must be the problem because I had far less than 1200 bytes free in bank 2 before I added the text minikernel. I moved to 16k and the errors immediately vanished because the text minikernel had enough room.

• 4 weeks later...

New version is up - I'm confident enough to call this version 1.0 now. This version gets rid of a bit of redundant code, and uses the newly-discovered unused variable discovered in the DPC+ kernel for the DPC+ version. I've also updated the documentation with RT's suggestions.

At this point, I would call this "done" apart from any other bugs found. I will probably do a 24-character version eventually, but that probably won't be until someone has a real need for it. It shouldn't be too difficult, but it will take more scanlines since it won't be able to share the object positioning code with the score.

Right now my head is deep in my new (non-bB) project, which uses 24-character text lines. It was my work on the text kernel, with lots of help from RevEng, which led to making this game/kernel design possible. :)

• Like 6

Just reread manual background issue now understood lol

Still fighting the cycles lol Ill get there but its proving very tough lol

this uses fewer lines/cycles but probably a lot more ROM

I have no idea how it would get along with other than the standard kernel

I think it uses every possible free variable