IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

Perhaps these 2 questions have already been answered, but I am having trouble finding those answers. Both are about the controller:

1. Will the 4 buttons on the Super Game Controller act as the 4 buttons in Super Action games so that a Super Action Controller is no longer required?

2. The 3D printed prototype looks great! But I noticed the D-pad no longer had a joystick. Is that the final design, or will it have a removable stick like a Master System controller?

• 5 months later...

Sorry if this is a dumb question but...

As either an early adopter or innovator subscriber, am I basically being put on the list to be able to buy a SGM2?? In other words, Is this sort of like a pre-order list where I get "dibs"... to not only support the development, but also locks me in to "own" one??

And what of all the other items like the new controller, etc. How can I be "locked in" to make sure I will be able to buy all this stuff??

3 minutes ago, 7800 said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but...

As either an early adopter or innovator subscriber, am I basically being put on the list to be able to buy a SGM2?? In other words, Is this sort of like a pre-order list where I get "dibs"... to not only support the development, but also locks me in to "own" one??

And what of all the other items like the new controller, etc. How can I be "locked in" to make sure I will be able to buy all this stuff??

Actually this is a very good question. In the past I had multiple list for multiple "products", but those were not by any means exclusive in the sense you must be in those lists to able to buy. They were more like interest list, where you could get notifications first. 

Now we are trying to consolidate everything around the Opcode Super Game Club. We are small, and managing too many channels is very time consuming, time that we could be using to more productive things. So they way to go now is the Club. Of course we also send periodic email newsletters, and you can subscribe to that as well. 

On 8/29/2020 at 8:19 PM, FiveJay said:

Perhaps these 2 questions have already been answered, but I am having trouble finding those answers. Both are about the controller:

1. Will the 4 buttons on the Super Game Controller act as the 4 buttons in Super Action games so that a Super Action Controller is no longer required?

2. The 3D printed prototype looks great! But I noticed the D-pad no longer had a joystick. Is that the final design, or will it have a removable stick like a Master System controller?

1. No, it is a new scheme. The reason being that very few SGC games using those extra buttons exists, and the implementation that Coleco created was really bad (extra buttons not being independent and interfering with keypad, and vice versa)

2. That is the design we have for now. When we get closer to production, we can evaluate things again to see if there is enough interest to have (and finance) a stick. We got a lot of feedback from people saying they would prefer the d-pad.

15 minutes ago, opcode said:

Actually this is a very good question. In the past I had multiple list for multiple "products", but those were not by any means exclusive in the sense you must be in those lists to able to buy. They were more like interest list, where you could get notifications first. 

Now we are trying to consolidate everything around the Opcode Super Game Club. We are small, and managing too many channels is very time consuming, time that we could be using to more productive things. So they way to go now is the Club. Of course we also send periodic email newsletters, and you can subscribe to that as well. 

The club seems cool with all the exclusive content a club member gets... but just to make sure I understand... Will joining the club give me first dibs on all new products to be released? My ultimate goal is to make sure I don't miss out on getting the SGM2, controllers, etc.

Also, is the original SGM still available to purchase now, or all those sold out.

I'm having trouble finding working links to official sites where I can purchase games, etc. Could you provide some links for me to go to so I can browse the products that may or may not be available to purchase. Thank you for your patience.

The club seems cool with all the exclusive content a club member gets... but just to make sure I understand... Will joining the club give me first dibs on all new products to be released? My ultimate goal is to make sure I don't miss out on getting the SGM2, controllers, etc.

Also, is the original SGM still available to purchase now, or all those sold out.

I'm having trouble finding working links to official sites where I can purchase games, etc. Could you provide some links for me to go to so I can browse the products that may or may not be available to purchase. Thank you for your patience.

Our latest newsletter should answer many of your questions: :)

https://mailchi.mp/e137cdba2c2a/new-colecovision-games-from-opcode-games-4690894

BTW, DKA is a club exclusive.

• Like 1

Oh, two more stupid questions...

Will I be able to use the Atarimax Ultimate SD cart (with SGM roms) with the SGM?

Any chance you can make SG-1000 roms work with the SGM or SGM2?

Edited by 7800

Sorry, I had to edit my last post to two questions... what are the possibilities of having the SGM or SGM2 support Sg-1000 roms?

None because the cartridge pinout is totally different. But that is mostly irrelevant, as most SG-1000 games have already been ported.

5 hours ago, opcode said:

Our latest newsletter should answer many of your questions: :)

https://mailchi.mp/e137cdba2c2a/new-colecovision-games-from-opcode-games-4690894

BTW, DKA is a club exclusive.

I've been putting off joining this club since some other expenses always come up, but I should stop procrastinating come payday this Friday.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cybercylon said:

I've been putting off joining this club since some other expenses always come up, but I should stop procrastinating come payday this Friday.

Join the club!  I didn't really know what to expect but as soon as everything arrived I thought that I was back in the 80's again but this time with a higher quality magazine.  

• Like 2

On 2/28/2021 at 3:34 PM, holygrailvideogames.com said:

Join the club!  I didn't really know what to expect but as soon as everything arrived I thought that I was back in the 80's again but this time with a higher quality magazine.  

How long did it take for you to get all the stuff. I joined the club on 2/28/21.

16 minutes ago, holygrailvideogames.com said:

I don't remember but it wasn't sent out immediately.  I paid using PayPal and later on received an email that I had to provide updated information in order for my stuff to be sent out.  It was worth the wait.

Okay cool... 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Sargon said:

I just read the latest newsletter with the details for the upcoming SGM2 and I can't wait to buy one.

My biggest question right now is, will the Phoenix be capable of supporting the new SGM2 features via a firmware upgrade?

They can surely update this info but they already stated that they have no plans for any new SGM with the Phoenix, only the current model.

39 minutes ago, Sargon said:

I just read the latest newsletter with the details for the upcoming SGM2 and I can't wait to buy one.

My biggest question right now is, will the Phoenix be capable of supporting the new SGM2 features via a firmware upgrade?

Very excited about the content of the newsletter.  My biggest questions at the moment are:

1. Will the original CV palette be user configurable?  At some point later this year Falonn and I hope to be releasing details of our findings from investigating the actual TMS9928 palette that has to date been incorrectly interpreted everywhere else.
  2. Has the HDMI output been tested with video recording devices such as those by Avermedia and Elgato?
  3. Is the HDMI output upscaled?
  4. Does the HDMI output retain the 4:3 screen ratio or is it stretched to widescreen?  Is this configurable?
  5. Is the screen resolution the same between the legacy mode and the arcade mode?
  6. Am I correct that this not only bypasses the existing TMS9928 but would also bypass an installed F18A?
  7. Am I correct in assuming that the existing video out options from a CV would also work with an SGM2 connected but only for legacy and SGM1 games?

Probably more questions to come but there my biggies.

Great times ahead ?

39 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Very excited about the content of the newsletter.  My biggest questions at the moment are:

1. Will the original CV palette be user configurable?  At some point later this year Falonn and I hope to be releasing details of our findings from investigating the actual TMS9928 palette that has to date been incorrectly interpreted everywhere else.
  2. Has the HDMI output been tested with video recording devices such as those by Avermedia and Elgato?
  3. Is the HDMI output upscaled?
  4. Does the HDMI output retain the 4:3 screen ratio or is it stretched to widescreen?  Is this configurable?
  5. Is the screen resolution the same between the legacy mode and the arcade mode?
  6. Am I correct that this not only bypasses the existing TMS9928 but would also bypass an installed F18A?
  7. Am I correct in assuming that the existing video out options from a CV would also work with an SGM2 connected but only for legacy and SGM1 games?

Probably more questions to come but there my biggies.

Great times ahead ?

Ok, let me try to answer those:

1. Yes, it will be user configurable via our bootstrap menu. User will be able to choose from pre-configured palettes, or they can also create their own palette.

2. Yes, all the recording was done using Elgato.

3. Currently no. But that is why we announced as releasing late 2022. We don't want to rush this, although it is already working. We are still adding features and fine tuning.

4. 4:3. Configurable though the TV I guess. 

5. Yes, same, although Arcade Sprites could go up to 320x240. But currently there is no tile mode to go with that. Arcade Sprites overlay the TMS9928, that is why we can easily improve regular SGM1 games. 

6. Yes, all AV stuff had to be moved inside the VSC1 due to the HDMI output.

7. No, once plugged the SGM2 disables all the interval AV. You can only get HDMI. You just can't have both the TMS9928 and VSC1 working together. Analog output aren't in the plans, as it would increase the costs even more (and there isn't enough space inside the SGM case).

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, opcode said:

3. Currently no. But that is why we announced as releasing late 2022. We don't want to rush this, although it is already working. We are still adding features and fine tuning.

Glad you're not rushing!  Hopefully at the minimum an option for 480p, much like the RetroTINK line of upscalers or the RAD2X cables (based on RetroTINK tech). 

Reason being many 4K sets and receivers like mine won't accept anything lower than a 480p signal.  I'm guessing the ColecoVision is normally 240p? 

I wouldn't want to have to find an HDMI upscaler to use the SGM2!  

Fascinating news all around, Eduardo!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

Glad you're not rushing!  Hopefully at the minimum an option for 480p, much like the RetroTINK line of upscalers or the RAD2X cables (based on RetroTINK tech). 

Reason being many 4K sets and receivers like mine won't accept anything lower than a 480p signal.  I'm guessing the ColecoVision is normally 240p? 

I wouldn't want to have to find an HDMI upscaler to use the SGM2!  

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I asked and also pleased with the reply.

I guess the next worry will be when will TV manufacturers start dropping support for 480p ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, opcode said:

7. No, once plugged the SGM2 disables all the interval AV. You can only get HDMI. You just can't have both the TMS9928 and VSC1 working together. Analog output aren't in the plans, as it would increase the costs even more (and there isn't enough space inside the SGM case).

Makes perfect sense.  And I guess this means that an SGM1 will still be a perfect accompaniment to a CV for playing legacy and SGM1 games via existing analog outputs if one wants to do so.