IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

Well, you have to realize that the arcade had a vertically oriented monitor, and NTSC has barely 240 visible scanlines, and you can’t even guarantee that all TVs will be able to display all those lines.

And I don’t want to squeeze everything vertically, so the playfield still looks and play exactly like the arcade.

The SGM1 version is already squeezed, which is fine considering the hardware limitations, but here we can do something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents:

The offset screen doesn't look right, to be honest. I know you want to to maintain the look of the playfield, but couldn't you do that just by making everything smaller and centered? I would rather it smaller and arcade accurate, then offset. I think if people were playing on a 20" monitor, yes, it might look really small, but my smallest screen is 42" so I'm not worried. I know that's not everybody's scenario though.

So OK let me throw it out there: with the SGM 2 capabilities, could more than one version be available? A way to switch from offset / centered mode, so to speak?

Yeah, sorry, don't mean to complicate things but hey, you created this awesome technology, not me!

My 2 cents:

The offset screen doesn't look right, to be honest. I know you want to to maintain the look of the playfield, but couldn't you do that just by making everything smaller and centered? I would rather it smaller and arcade accurate, then offset. I think if people were playing on a 20" monitor, yes, it might look really small, but my smallest screen is 42" so I'm not worried. I know that's not everybody's scenario though.

Well, my 2 cents:

While the offset screen isn't accurate to the arcade in my case I'd prefer it. I play most of my retro games on a 20" screen and so in my case size of the playfield does matter. I'd rather have a larger playfield that has offset scoring than a smaller playfield. Just my preference for my circumstance.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 2

My 2 cents:

So OK let me throw it out there: with the SGM 2 capabilities, could more than one version be available? A way to switch from offset / centered mode, so to speak?

Yeah, sorry, don't mean to complicate things but hey, you created this awesome technology, not me!

Well, we could go to 240 lines, but then there is no guarantee that top and bottom row will display on old CRT TVs.

And for some games, Galaga for exemple, not even 240 lines will be enough, as the arcade is 288 lines high. So the side score area will have to be used eventually.

But I will try to think of something. Or perhaps i can change your mind once you see the completed game with the score area added.

• Like 1

When this was originally proposed, I was thinking of the arcade "D2K" or "DK2" that was released with all new created levels.

But anything beyond the original is a bonus.

That is what I am talking about as well. :)

• Like 1

OK... I saw the Intellivision one mentioned, and I got a little confused. All good.

Actually I believe the Intellivision got a port of the DK2 arcade hack a few years ago. So they should be the same game that we are all talking about. :)

• Like 1

I haven't been interested in an 8 bit console until the Omni. My first console back in the early and mid 80's was an Atari 2600 but I was in my late teens by the time the Master System and NES launched in the UK. After money spent on going out, running a car, buying clothes and music, there was nothing left for video games and so I spent a few years not playing any. It wasn't until the 16 bit era that I started again. Part of my motivation to get back into retro gaming was to fill in blanks in my gaming history, such as the 8 bit era but for some reason, when I watch videos of NES and Master System games, they don't do anything for me. Maybe because the nostalgia factor is missing, I don't know but everything I've seen about the Omni and its games has me excited. I really like what I'm seeing so far. Many years after the 8 bit era, the Omni will be my first and only experience of an 8 bit style system.

• Like 3

... Maybe because the nostalgia factor is missing, I don't know but everything I've seen about the Omni and its games has me excited. I really like what I'm seeing so far. Many years after the 8 bit era, the Omni will be my first and only experience of an 8 bit style system.

This is the feeling I think a lot of us are feeling.. I like my Nintendo switch but I do not care what is going to come out on it. However this machine has me really juiced, I think its that perfect version of retro without feeling "fake" retro or "made to look 8 bit"... ugh shudder...

Seeing Opcodes latest video uploads seem to capture that exact feeling I think a lot of us are hoping for, arcade experience without emulation on a dedicated machine built from passion, engineering and an artistic eye.

While I am excited to see lots of the greatest arcade games make their showing on the Omni, perhaps with some new modes, I am super excited to see original games and console crossovers like Quest for the Rings, etc.

I and a small group of local friends are looking forward to hearing about graphics, sound and game libraries so we can start to study them so we can try to give back to the community as well perhaps with a new game in the future.

That Donkey Kong Rivet screen looks great and I think the Omni is well on its way to making the modern day X68000 type machine, ya know the machine that games were written for but were so close to the arcade it was uncanny.

• Like 3

First of all, thank you so much for the flattering comments. Really appreciate that. Glad to know that I am not the only one that is really excited. :D

Oh, and funny that you mentioned the X68000, because it seems that the hardware team has just too much free time in their hands. They just added a MC68000 to OMNI. It can work in a dual configuration mode, Z80 only or 68000+Z80 mode. Best of both worlds. :)

To close the night....

EDIT: this is S-video btw. Analog...

• Like 5

First of all, thank you so much for the flattering comments. Really appreciate that. Glad to know that I am not the only one that is really excited. :D

Oh, and funny that you mentioned the X68000, because it seems that the hardware team has just too much free time in their hands. They just added a MC68000 to OMNI. It can work in a dual configuration mode, Z80 only or 68000+Z80 mode. Best of both worlds. :)

To close the night....

Game looks so nice.

Is the screen centered on the TV?

Wow that game just keeps looking better.. Adding another processor is huge, I can only imagine it will allow a whole slew of new ideas for programs to happen.

Great job!

It was already dual processor (see the description in my first post), but then we had two Z80 compatible CPU. What they are suggesting now is that we replace one Z80 with a 68000. For games that require Z80s, like DK, the machine can still work Z80 only. For games that may require a 68000, (let’s say we decide to port Gauntlet), then the system would work 68000+Z80.

I am still giving the idea some thought, to see how I feel about that in a couple of weeks, before deciding anything. So for now consider that as “tentative”

While I am excited to see lots of the greatest arcade games make their showing on the Omni, perhaps with some new modes, I am super excited to see original games and console crossovers like Quest for the Rings, etc.

I and a small group of local friends are looking forward to hearing about graphics, sound and game libraries so we can start to study them so we can try to give back to the community as well perhaps with a new game in the future.

I don't think I properly answered this yesterday...

I am also super excited for the new material. In fact that is the whole point of this project. But to get there we need a minimum installed base first. 200 to 300 machines should be enough, but right now it is an egg/chicken situation. So that is why I am arcade ports first. New games need a budget to pay for graphic and sound assets, as well as possibly extra programmers. And of course I have limited resources, so it is hard to invest lots of money when you don't know exactly when you will see that investment back. Once the console is out, that will be a different story.

Glad to hear you and your friends are interested in creating for the new machine. We can start discussing that in a few months, when we have rev B. I think you will be surprised by the specs, you can push the machine halfway between a Genesis and a SNES if you want, even if we keep the 2 Z80s configurations. Graphics can get closer to SNES than Genesis, sound is more like Sega System 16B. But they all scale nicely down if necessary, like we see from the DK test.

I haven't been interested in an 8 bit console until the Omni. My first console back in the early and mid 80's was an Atari 2600 but I was in my late teens by the time the Master System and NES launched in the UK. After money spent on going out, running a car, buying clothes and music, there was nothing left for video games and so I spent a few years not playing any. It wasn't until the 16 bit era that I started again. Part of my motivation to get back into retro gaming was to fill in blanks in my gaming history, such as the 8 bit era but for some reason, when I watch videos of NES and Master System games, they don't do anything for me. Maybe because the nostalgia factor is missing, I don't know but everything I've seen about the Omni and its games has me excited. I really like what I'm seeing so far. Many years after the 8 bit era, the Omni will be my first and only experience of an 8 bit style system.

I am flattered that I could grab your attention with OMNI. As I said above, OMNI can scale well into 16-bit territory if necessary, although I would prefer to stay in Atari era territory, even if we push graphics beyond that. But other developers are free to explore other themes if they want.

• Like 4

Another person to ask to is Sock Master for his Donkey Kong Remix which adds new levels that are different than DK2.

http://users.axess.com/twilight/sock/dkremix/index.html

I have to second this. DK2 is cool, but Donkey Kong Remix is even cooler. Its new levels are really interesting - barrels that launch back up to higher levels, platforms that actually fall when the rivets are removed, it even has bonus stages! Donkey Kong Jr. Remix also looks awesome, though I never got to play that one.

The only thing is that it might be difficult to get the creator's blessing. He seems to prefer it to be only available as an upgrade kit. Still, it might be worth asking him.

I know that a lot of the games I mentioned are A list, and I'm glad they are to you as well. I do love the more niche games like Oli Boo Chu, Munch Mobile, Lasso, Pioneer Balloon, Crazy Balloon, Carnival, Lost Tomb, etc.

If we are talking vector games, I would love for Quantum and Major Havoc to be brought out. I'm also loving the idea of the updates for O2 games. I think you're definitely onto something special here.

Good to see Lasso mentioned. That's one of my favorite obscure arcade games.

Jaleco yes, according to KLOV:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8832

Licensed to Cinematronics for US manufacture and distribution, although the one I played was most likely a bootleg (the same arcade had Donkey King, etc.).

Maybe a Jaleco's greatest hits compilation featuring Naughty Boy for the SGM 2? :)

Another good one! I too would be interested in a Naughty Boy port.

Edited by Ramses

I have to second this. DK2 is cool, but Donkey Kong Remix is even cooler. Its new levels are really interesting - barrels that launch back up to higher levels, platforms that actually fall when the rivets are removed, it even has bonus stages! Donkey Kong Jr. Remix also looks awesome, though I never got to play that one.

The only thing is that it might be difficult to get the creator's blessing. He seems to prefer it to be only available as an upgrade kit. Still, it might be worth asking him.

He did release Donkey Kong Remix on the Coco 3. I haven't had a chance to try Donkey Kong Jr. Remix either, but it looks cool. It would be really great to see those two games (or modes in Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior) get released on the SGM2/Omni.

Ok, so let's do a recap of where we are now in terms of games:

- We have 3 games in different stages of development already running in the new hardware, Donkey Kong, Moon Patrol, Zaxxon

- 1 game has been started but still not running, Galaga

Those are the 4 launch games we selected. It would be a good idea to decide on improvements as soon as possible, so I can plan and get those games completed on schedule. Some of them pose some challenges in themselves:

- Moon Patrol uses 3 planes, and we have 2. I will have to be creative here.

- Zaxxon uses a very unusual hardware for background graphics, will require custom engine and possibly huge number of tiles and VROM

- Galaga uses two CPUs in parallel for game processing, I am assuming that isn't a big deal, but until I can get the game running, that is a red flag

So while we may dream with a lot of stuff, I must keep things down to Earth in terms of new content we will include.

Here are some suggestions:

- DK: 2-players simultaneous. 2~4 new screens. After further consideration, I think we should go for exclusive new screens instead of using existing material.

- Galaga: 2-players simultaneous. New thematic stages?

- Moon Patrol: New course. What else for 2 players?

- Zaxxon: New asteroid. What else for 2 players?

And with the remixed graphic modes (16-bit style), that should be pretty good content.

BTW, fun fact: did you know there is vestigial evidence of a 5th stage in Donkey Kong?

• Like 3

Ok, so let's do a recap of where we are now in terms of games:

- We have 3 games in different stages of development already running in the new hardware, Donkey Kong, Moon Patrol, Zaxxon

- 1 game has been started but still not running, Galaga

Those are the 4 launch games we selected. It would be a good idea to decide on improvements as soon as possible, so I can plan and get those games completed on schedule. Some of them pose some challenges in themselves:

- Moon Patrol uses 3 planes, and we have 2. I will have to be creative here.

- Zaxxon uses a very unusual hardware for background graphics, will require custom engine and possibly huge number of tiles and VROM

- Galaga uses two CPUs in parallel for game processing, I am assuming that isn't a big deal, but until I can get the game running, that is a red flag

So while we may dream with a lot of stuff, I must keep things down to Earth in terms of new content we will include.

Here are some suggestions:

- DK: 2-players simultaneous. 2~4 new screens. After further consideration, I think we should go for exclusive new screens instead of using existing material.

- Galaga: 2-players simultaneous. New thematic stages?

- Moon Patrol: New course. What else for 2 players?

- Zaxxon: New asteroid. What else for 2 players?

And with the remixed graphic modes (16-bit style), that should be pretty good content.

BTW, fun fact: did you know there is vestigial evidence of a 5th stage in Donkey Kong?

Well, since you're asking for ideas... :D

- For DK 2-player mode, how about having a mode where one player would be able to control Donkey Kong himself? Perhaps rolling and throwing the barrels at will?

- Perhaps this would be too tough to implement, but for two-player Moon Patrol how about having a "race" feature, where it's split screen with the upper half showing one player's course and the lower showing the other's?

- For Zaxxon how about sort of an obstacle course, where one has to navigate narrow passages and such, rather like a 3-D version of what Scramble does at one stage?

- For a Galaga two-player option, how about a competitive/war mode, with one player at the top of the screen shooting down and the other on the bottom?

Edited by Tornadoboy