IGNORED

Dragon's Lair is sold out!

Tursi

54 minutes ago, CLBrown said:

I have no idea why the person I've noticed "banned" from here was banned, but that's good to know that at least it was not due to him swindling you.

He was banned for actively sabotaging the forum.  His posts are still active, so the Rules of Lannister are satisfied.  Plus, anything he has to say is available at another forum.

20 hours ago, CLBrown said:

I'm, in general, not a fan of "bans" in the first place.  Especially in discussion forums.  I tend to follow the "Tyrion Lannister" quote where this is concerned.   You know...

I dunno who you're talking about anyway... people get banned from forums all the time and I don't track it. I just wanted to say that it's not always fear. Sometimes it's just really satisfying to rip out a tongue that won't stop wagging. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Tursi said:

I dunno who you're talking about anyway... people get banned from forums all the time and I don't track it. I just wanted to say that it's not always fear. Sometimes it's just really satisfying to rip out a tongue that won't stop wagging. ;)

Well, in cases like that, I think  duct tape is a better solution...   YMMV

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SkyPilot said:

If you're curious about what drove him to do whatever he did to get banned, go to that other forum and ask him.  There is usually a reason people go nuclear.  Whatever it was, he can't defend himself here.

This conversation needs to end here.  This thread is not about bans.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2022 at 7:19 PM, Tursi said:

Audio is extracted from the video using ffmpeg, then converted to the correct playback rate using SOX.

I prefer SoX over ffmpeg for audio manipulation because it is easier to use and less cryptic for some functions.  Why did you use SoX versus ffmpeg for the audio file manipulation?

On 11/19/2022 at 7:08 PM, OLD CS1 said:

I prefer SoX over ffmpeg for audio manipulation because it is easier to use and less cryptic for some functions.  Why did you use SoX versus ffmpeg for the audio file manipulation?

Cause I knew SoX could do it. I only use ffmpeg when I have to. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve literally just seen this port of Dragon’s Lair onto the TI99 and also the packaging. 

WOW! This is an absolutely AMAZING endeavour. If ever this comes back on sale, I’d love a copy but can understand Tursi’s hesitance. The potential market is always going to be limited and dealing with license owners, PayPal, crooks and such like can really sap the fun out of the project, especially when running at a loss! 

My cap is doffed to you, sir (as we say in England). This is a labour borne out of love and determination to keep the old TI99 alive and for that, there are still a few of us that are grateful! 

Bravo Tursi! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Appeelicious said:

Yeah, these limited runs always seem to miss me too. I think the last run was 100. I'd love to think there was another 100 interested, but with chip shortages, that might not be the only thing that would stop him

The run was 155. 

I have the (populated) boards sitting in a box to run another hundred or so... I'd have to count. I don't have any of the paper materials or a license to do so. (And I would have to hope I took good enough notes about how to program them, hehe ;) ).

Actually been trying to decide what else I could program those boards for. Someday, when I have more time. ;)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Tursi said:

The run was 155. 

I have the (populated) boards sitting in a box to run another hundred or so... I'd have to count. I don't have any of the paper materials or a license to do so. (And I would have to hope I took good enough notes about how to program them, hehe ;) ).

Actually been trying to decide what else I could program those boards for. Someday, when I have more time. ;)

I do stand corrected. It's been a while since I read your play by play. I think the whole project is super cool and I wish I majored in computer engineering instead of business whenever I see these feats of neatness. Seriously, I don't even know where to get started on collecting the appropriate skills. I want to do so while I'm still sharp. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Appeelicious said:

I do stand corrected. It's been a while since I read your play by play. I think the whole project is super cool and I wish I majored in computer engineering instead of business whenever I see these feats of neatness. Seriously, I don't even know where to get started on collecting the appropriate skills. I want to do so while I'm still sharp. 

Haha, sorry, sorry, it's just becoming reflex at this point. ;)

On 12/8/2022 at 11:58 AM, Appeelicious said:

What would you recommend for foundational reading/ viewing who has taken three whole programming courses and nothing on circuitry or computer engineering?

Look at the pinned thread in the dev subforum, and the dev sub in general.  It is a gold mine.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Looks at the pinned thread in the dev subforum, and the dev sub in general.  It is a gold mine.

It is, but it's so unwieldy! I didn't know where to start. So far I'm going through learning standard basic, then extended basic, then familiarizing myself with peek and poke, then line by line, then maybe assembly outright. I'm just kind of winging it. If you have some favorite books that read a little easier, blink twice. 

2 hours ago, Appeelicious said:

It is, but it's so unwieldy! I didn't know where to start. So far I'm going through learning standard basic, then extended basic, then familiarizing myself with peek and poke, then line by line, then maybe assembly outright. I'm just kind of winging it. If you have some favorite books that read a little easier, blink twice. 

I can't learn a new thing by simply "wanting" to. I need a project.

So you should start with a simple project, like modifying an existing BASIC program. For instance, change the graphics and text to something related to your own interests. Learn how to do that. Then move on to another. Make a more complex change, like changing a rule of the game. Then start something from scratch - SOMETHING SIMPLE. Like, boring simple. Like you don't really want to play it simple. Like "guess a number from 1 to 10" simple. Because you need to be able to complete it. Keep going. Fighting your way through each step will teach you many things about program creation, how to find answers, and how to fix problems that you run into.

The idea is to reduce the amount that you need to learn for each step to something that fits your attention span, and feeds your reward systems by actually meeting your goals.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2022 at 4:13 AM, Appeelicious said:

Yeah, these limited runs always seem to miss me too. I think the last run was 100. I'd love to think there was another 100 interested, but with chip shortages, that might not be the only thing that would stop him

On 12/8/2022 at 6:10 AM, Tursi said:

I have the (populated) boards sitting in a box to run another hundred or so... I'd have to count. I don't have any of the paper materials or a license to do so.

As mentioned before by Tursi, doing another run of the cart is primarily cost and hassle of getting another license.  He has also mentioned that he will make carts for anyone willing to put up the money and effort to obtain a license.  This is where b.s. hits the road, and how much people actually believe the claims they make up on-the-fly about the demand for X number more of whatever cart or project they are interested in.  Tursi has also said that he is loosely tracking the number of new D.L. requests, and the number is actually around 20; which makes for a very expensive cartridge just to cover the license, let alone his time to assemble the product, manage, package, and ship.

This next part is OT, but as long as Tursi does not mind then I'll add my opinion.

20 hours ago, Appeelicious said:

It is, but it's so unwieldy! I didn't know where to start. ...

It can seem that way, but so is any random archive.  A library is a bit unwieldy, just a bunch of books grouped by topic and alphabetized by author.  You generally don't walk into a library and start reading the books in order, or even randomly (unless you are bored or really don't care what you are reading).

17 hours ago, Tursi said:

I can't learn a new thing by simply "wanting" to. I need a project. ...

@Appeelicious What Tursi wrote is the key.  Have a reason to engage with the information, like a project or something you know you want to learn.  Trying to learn a programming language without a reason is going to be confusing and frustrating, and end very quickly.  I also find that thinking you have to learn this-before-that (i.e. BASIC before assembly, etc.) is not a good mindset and makes the idea of learning something new seem daunting and unobtainable (you will give up before you start).  What you do, or learn, first totally depends on what you already know, how you learn, and what you are trying to achieve.

BITD I learned BASIC because that was what you got when you turned the computer on.  But I wanted desperately to make games like I played in the arcade, and TI BASIC was not cutting it.  Back then the only other option (that I was aware of) was assembly, so that's what I did, I learned assembly.  It was long and painful, with no Internet and very limited resources, and initially only the E/A manual, etc..  I guess I wanted it bad enough to push through and I still use those skills today.

It is a *LOT* easier and enjoyable now, with the Internet, forums, all the books and other resources available, digging into the retro computers can be very fun.  But you have to decide for yourself what will make the journey worth pursuing.

23 hours ago, Appeelicious said:

If you have some favorite books that read a little easier, blink twice. 

The resource thread has most (if not all) the books, and then some, that most people here would probably recommend for the 99/4A.  For me there was a book that "opened the door", but rather than call it out (you can find the answer in this forum if you really want to know), today I would say the forum itself is the best place to start.  So many people have asked so many questions and gotten so many excellent and in-depth answers and discussions, it would be hard for any book (or group of books) to compare or come close.

The problem with the older books is that they do not have the advantage of all the information we (as a community) have learned since they were published, and IMO the quality of information from the forum is superior overall.  Where to start, as I mentioned, depends on what you want to do and learn.

If you want a project, mazes are cool, so make a maze generator in BASIC or XB, then port it to 9900 assembly.  There are tons of algorithms out there, but the recursive-backtracker algo that skips a tile (to keep track of the back-tracking) is a good fit for BASIC/RXB and the 99/4A 32x24 tile mode (GM1).

http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth.htm

http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth/algrithm.htm

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, matthew180 said:

As mentioned before by Tursi, doing another run of the cart is primarily cost and hassle of getting another license.  He has also mentioned that he will make carts for anyone willing to put up the money and effort to obtain a license.  This is where b.s. hits the road, and how much people actually believe the claims they make up on-the-fly about the demand for X number more of whatever cart or project they are interested in.  Tursi has also said that he is loosely tracking the number of new D.L. requests, and the number is actually around 20; which makes for a very expensive cartridge just to cover the license, let alone his time to assemble the product, manage, package, and ship.

This next part is OT, but as long as Tursi does not mind then I'll add my opinion.

It can seem that way, but so is any random archive.  A library is a bit unwieldy, just a bunch of books grouped by topic and alphabetized by author.  You generally don't walk into a library and start reading the books in order, or even randomly (unless you are bored or really don't care what you are reading).

@Appeelicious What Tursi wrote is the key.  Have a reason to engage with the information, like a project or something you know you want to learn.  Trying to learn a programming language without a reason is going to be confusing and frustrating, and end very quickly.  I also find that thinking you have to learn this-before-that (i.e. BASIC before assembly, etc.) is not a good mindset and makes the idea of learning something new seem daunting and unobtainable (you will give up before you start).  What you do, or learn, first totally depends on what you already know, how you learn, and what you are trying to achieve.

BITD I learned BASIC because that was what you got when you turned the computer on.  But I wanted desperately to make games like I played in the arcade, and TI BASIC was not cutting it.  Back then the only other option (that I was aware of) was assembly, so that's what I did, I learned assembly.  It was long and painful, with no Internet and very limited resources, and initially only the E/A manual, etc..  I guess I wanted it bad enough to push through and I still use those skills today.

It is a *LOT* easier and enjoyable now, with the Internet, forums, all the books and other resources available, digging into the retro computers can be very fun.  But you have to decide for yourself what will make the journey worth pursuing.

The resource thread has most (if not all) the books, and then some, that most people here would probably recommend for the 99/4A.  For me there was a book that "opened the door", but rather than call it out (you can find the answer in this forum if you really want to know), today I would say the forum itself is the best place to start.  So many people have asked so many questions and gotten so many excellent and in-depth answers and discussions, it would be hard for any book (or group of books) to compare or come close.

The problem with the older books is that they do not have the advantage of all the information we (as a community) have learned since they were published, and IMO the quality of information from the forum is superior overall.  Where to start, as I mentioned, depends on what you want to do and learn.

If you want a project, mazes are cool, so make a maze generator in BASIC or XB, then port it to 9900 assembly.  There are tons of algorithms out there, but the recursive-backtracker algo that skips a tile (to keep track of the back-tracking) is a good fit for BASIC/RXB and the 99/4A 32x24 tile mode (GM1).

http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth.htm

http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth/algrithm.htm

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I'm going to ponder how to start, but I'll start by making the quest less aimless. 

And I don't expect a dragon lair run to happen until the next generation of job having 99ers grow up some, but I will still lament missing the first run. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Archimedes5000 said:

Sorry if I'm not following the thread correctly, which is due to my imperfect english. I understand that the Dragons Lair module is sold out.

If there is a way to get this, either used or in a new edition, that would be great....

There is not, in general.  It was a limited run of a custom cart based on a license of limited duration.  It's possible someone will jump through the legal and technical hoops to license and build them again some day.  But for now, it's a rarity which is almost never available for sale or trade (since most who have one aren't giving theirs up). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tursi said:

I want to be clear that you are all welcome to sell your carts for whatever you can get for them! No need to keep it secret.

It wants MY Dragon's Lair cartridge?  Dirty, nasty collectorses.  We HATES them!

FGqsJmcXsAwtPj7.thumb.jpg.637abdea7730336629ab4d3cc145ccce.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7