IGNORED

PS5 May Be Fully Backwards Compatible

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't look good for full backwards compatibility:

Cerny confirmed the console will still boast discs to play games, and it'll be backward compatible with PS4 titles too. It doesn't look like it'll support PS3, PS2 or original PlayStation titles though.

https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-wont-arrive-this-year-and-it-will-play-discs

You'll still be using discs to play games on Sony's next games console, and it won't be landing until at least 2020. That's according to Mark Cerny at Sony who is the lead system architect on the next-gen console.

Wheww. Close call. Now Rob Wyatt has time to finish the Atari VCS and put Sony out of business before they can release their PS5.

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

I get a feeling Sony views backward compatibility as a means to hook people in,then they'll let it sink like they've always done. PS3 had it till it was pulled. Boy what a disappointment that was. And the PSOne mini was an abomination. Its like they don't really care about the legacy of the past systems to where they support it properly. Sony know how to market,but not really execute on older games,unless its a remaster ofcourse.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

If the PS2 Classics on PS4 deal is anything to go by I think Sony's plan is to make you pay for all the old stuff again even though you may still have the old discs. I'll be surprised if they do the way MicroSoft is doing it with the Xbox One.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RARusk said:

If the PS2 Classics on PS4 deal is anything to go by I think Sony's plan is to make you pay for all the old stuff again even though you may still have the old discs. I'll be surprised if they do the way MicroSoft is doing it with the Xbox One.

Such a small selection of titles, so I doubt it's a significant factor in their decision making regarding backwards compatibility.

Plus even if one already has an original disc, a good size slice of people would rebuy an old favorite digitally just to go for the trophies that have been added to the small PS2 Classics range on the PS4. So there's still a selling point for people with a library of classic PS2 titles to their $15 or so downloads since a lot of people enjoy hunting trophies and achievements.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I hope is different this next generation (assuming I bother, etc.); I hate having to install games on disc to the hard drive. I just want to pop in a disc and not have to think whether I cleared out enough HD space and already installed the thing or not. And yes, I realize the answer is "get a bigger hard drive,"... I did that, it's just something that really irked me about the PS4. 

On 1/22/2020 at 1:17 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

If it can play 1-4 discs, launch day purchase for me.  If it's just PS4 compatible, will skip it.  If it can play 1-3 games, but you have to buy them again digitally, skip. 

After looking at the state of current PS3 emulation I can tell you with confidence that PS3 is not going to happen. The CPU is very hard to emulate and even high end computers have a very tough time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

One thing I hope is different this next generation (assuming I bother, etc.); I hate having to install games on disc to the hard drive. I just want to pop in a disc and not have to think whether I cleared out enough HD space and already installed the thing or not. And yes, I realize the answer is "get a bigger hard drive,"... I did that, it's just something that really irked me about the PS4. 

I think sadly that this is the new normal.  CD's are just purchase keys.  Another reason i'm going to skip/pass on most consoles from now on. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 8:42 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

After looking at the state of current PS3 emulation I can tell you with confidence that PS3 is not going to happen. The CPU is very hard to emulate and even high end computers have a very tough time.

I don't know. I've talked to several people that do PS3 emulation and apparently it's very good now. People running Demon's Souls at 4K and 60fps. Crazy stuff.

You can also look at the Xbox One with Xbox 360 backwards compatibility. I remember years ago when CPUWIZ said there's no way in hell they would be able to get that working, and if anyone should know it would be him. Now we're at a point where the Xbox One plays Xbox 360 games better than the Xbox 360 does.

Never say never. These new systems are going to be significantly more powerful than the current generation, so you may very well end up surprised. :)

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Austin said:

I don't know. I've talked to several people that do PS3 emulation and apparently it's very good now. People running Demon's Souls at 4K and 60fps. Crazy stuff.

You can also look at the Xbox One with Xbox 360 backwards compatibility. I remember years ago when CPUWIZ said there's no way in hell they would be able to get that working, and if anyone should know it would be him. Now we're at a point where the Xbox One plays Xbox 360 games better than the Xbox 360 does.

Never say never. These new systems are going to be significantly more powerful than the current generation, so you may very well end up surprised. :)

We will see soon enough. Im going to say no disc support for PS1-3. There is really no incentive to Sony to do it. Especially since the PS4 can only play PS4 discs.

On 1/4/2020 at 5:43 PM, Atariboy said:

No site called HipHopGamer is going to be breaking real news.

Word to yo mutha!

I am wondering if it will be how the BC is on the Xbox family.  Put the disc in, verifies its the game, and then downloads it.  I am wondering if its gonna be the same way via the PS5.  Considering how costly, at least per Sony, the PS3 was due at launch due to the ability to play physical previous generation discs, I am wondering do they make that same mistake again and this thing will be pushing 600 or is it gonna be software emulation, which would be much cheaper Id imagine than having all that hardware inside of it to be able to play all those previous gen games from Sony consoles

Edited by TheRevWells

i think that website is wrong. The way they say the GPU will be used to recognise the discs already makes me question the whole thing although technically maybe possible the GPU is used for disc access it's not logical imo.

PS4/pro will be hardware as it'just like PC's just more of the same hardware and is very likely to be included. PS1,2 and 3 if there will be any, and I doubt it very much, will be software or maybe even streaming only. I don't think Sony is going to invest just to satisfy a (very) small part of the user base that want to play PS1,2 and 3 titles on the latest console. 

• 1 month later...

So the PS5 indeed seems like it will have some level of PS4 compatability, which makes sense. When I first was told it would play any PS games I was skeptical because both the PS1 and PS2 used some pretty weird chips/engines AFAIK. Even the "backwards compatible" PS3's struggled to play most PS2 games.

Wiki page for the Emotion Engine

Edited by Sknarp