IGNORED

Space Fortress Omega v1.1 - Video

Here is a video of the final version 1.1 of Space Fortress Omega. I play through level 1 on Pilot (default) skill and into level 2 until I lose a ship. There are more features on each of the 10 levels.

You can download the game and the fantastic instructions on the High Score Club thread

HSC Season 16 Round 1: Space Fortress Omega

If you want to post a score (however late) please do so, there is already a lot of discussion and I give a lot of hints. The game is intended to offer a lasting challenge ;)

• Like 12

I am wondering why this room with two missiles is always closed on my atari. Is there something the player should do to open it?

Each level has a number of items e.g. missiles / extra man letters / destroyable blocks / gates / generator cores / barrier walls etc, these are randomly placed (not random as they are in certain places - pseudo random?), so every go is different. It bugged me that other games could have more playability with some even minor playfied variations so that was my thinking :)

p.s. the screenshot shows I have 5 missiles (the maximum) so the one I am hovering over is not collected, sound effect plays.

I really have to say, the game itself is really cool and addictive. On the other side, there are slightly too many frustrations in the first level. I understand everything can be trained, and explained by TRBB, but that is in most of the cases not the most effective order. We have seen this before on another (ABBUC) Game.

I think playing on a different level (Trainer) is not the solution I mean. Players need some success-experiences so difficulty should increase during game. And TBH that is IMHO the only downside of this game.

It is fun, it is challenging, it works very well and it is very clear that TRBB invested an awful lot of time and energy in this game. I like the story behind it and I have to admit I found myself trying and trying again. I hope he uses the Feedback he received for future games. He is a very promising coder!

Edited by Marius
  • Like 3

Hehe,

several months ago I made up a list of A8 games, that are either a) extremely boring, rubbish, crap, etc. or b) much too hard, you die a 1000 times, etc. Originally I wanted to publish a short text and the long list (with some short comments here and there) in PAM / Proc Atari magazine, alas, it seems the magazine is no longer published and/or Markus lost interest in publishing it (allthough more than enough texts were ready for the next issue). But SFO will definitely make it on the list of much too hard games (like Mirax Force, Last Guardian, Henry's House, Starball,etc.), allthough SFO is much much better than, ermmm, Piekielko (which is on both lists, ha!)...

For me, make SFO easier please! On the Atari I play much too hard A8 games maybe once or twice, but then never again. I am getting older and my reflexes are getting worse, so it does not make sense to play such games again in some years (vice versa, games where I was quite good at in the past, are more difficult for me to play or finish nowadays)... and I doubt that some of our Atarians in the (age of) 60s or 70s are able to play this game and get very far. Allthough I am not that old yet, maybe you can create a "60+" or old-age+slow reflexes version or difficulty setting (aka extremely easy, CC difficulty) for me...?!? ;-)

Edited by CharlieChaplin

All I can say is play using a joystick on Trainee; you then don't have to worry about the aliens or fuel, the levels are fairly short, you usually have a choice of routes, and there are a lot of restart points and you don't even need to do anything but get to the end. [edit] Important bit I forgot I had programmed that on Trainee mode the gaps between the rocks are not as narrow. Plus you have more lives and extra lives are easier to get.

Each of the three skill levels has progressive difficulty increments.

From the short HSC play on PILOT difficulty a good player has already reached level 3 ouf ot the 10 and an average player (sorry carlsson!!) has completed the first level so I think I have this right.

I keep repeating it but the game is intended to offer a *lasting* challenge, with the ranking system similar to Star Raiders or Blue Max.

If anyone wants to edit the course layout to make another or an easier Space Fortress then get in touch and I'll send you the playfield maps, again I used Envision on the Atari to create them.

:)

• Like 1

The game is fun and challenging, just make sure your display choices are quick enough to give you every chance of succeeding. I love games like this and AtariBlast, Full disclosure I also love games like T2K on the Jaguar and and some other Minter Madness. Frantic games or games that offer some real difficulty are a challenge that are in my opinion fun.

• Like 1

Have you tried https://www.brighteon.com/

That game is crazy difficult. It even looks tougher than Defender.

Again if anyone is struggling play on Trainee - I forgot I had programmed it to have wider tunnels on this mode (I know I spent a lot of time on making Trainee significantly easier as I wanted everyone to be able to complete the first level after a few plays). On Pilot I think getting to the end of level 3 is where the real pressure kicks in! After a few sessions players will figure out what they can get away with, the game is more forgiving than you might think at first.

Thanks, I used youtube in the end for the video (reposted on 1st post) figured better for Atariage to have less bytes stored!

• Like 1

Again if anyone is struggling play on Trainee - I forgot I had programmed it to have wider tunnels on this mode (I know I spent a lot of time on making Trainee significantly easier as I wanted everyone to be able to complete the first level after a few plays). On Pilot I think getting to the end of level 3 is where the real pressure kicks in! After a few sessions players will figure out what they can get away with, the game is more forgiving than you might think at first.

Thanks, I used youtube in the end for the video (reposted on 1st post) figured better for Atariage to have less bytes stored!

I'll try the Trainee mode. :)

I like https://www.brighteon.com

because they won't delete your videos, harass and censor you for telling the truth. They uphold our Constitution. YT and the evil goo do not.

They support Human and Civil Rights.

:)

• Like 2

• 6 months later...