IGNORED

HSC16 Round 2: Lode Runner

I suppose we should play for level reached. From memory I think the end of level bonus might reflect time?

If anyone has found a reliable download please can you post to say which one ;)

If anone does want to play Load Runners' Revenge as a bonus that is ok (see 1st post) :)

You get 1500 points for completing a level, regardless of how long it takes you.

I don't see a Lode Runner's Revenge. I have Championship, Rescue, Return, Folly...but no revenge.

Edited by Deteacher

Lode Runner, eh. One of these classics I've never really played despite having it on countless platforms...not sure why.

I played the Broderbund monochrome version today for a bit and loved it. Genius design concept, super fluid/freeform gameplay and above all lack of usual why-I-hate-platformers tropes such as ice skating jumps (in fact: no jumping at all!), dying on falling from tiniest of heights and so on.

There are a couple of warning signs though, such as the crashing soem folks already reported - it hang on me on Lvl 6 upon dying (but still had men).

Other thing is, seems like there is potential for points farming since there is no clock? (or is there?)

Yes, you could definitely farm points by just killing the guys over and over, since there's no timer. You get 75 for dropping one in a hole and 75 if the hole closes up on them. That would make for a very boring time with little return on your time investment.

• Like 1

I suppose we should play for level reached.

I just realized that the built-in high score list also sorts players based on level reached primarily, score secondarily.

By the way, here is an early level disk with the first 3 levels from a Lode Runner-like game (on a different system). Bonus points if anyone recognizes them.

loderunnerlevels.atr

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Here's a screenshot of my first-ever homemade level, along with the .ATR if anyone wants to actually try it out:

post-9712-0-83876600-1549917882.png

Lode Runner Data Disk.atr

Only the first level is mine...I overwrote the first level from whomever created this disk...it's the only way I knew how to do this. :)

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 3

I think Revenge might've been trrb's typo.

Re-reading the 1st post, I see now maybe it wasn't a crash after all - I was just "walled in"...

Yes Load Runner's Rescue which looks a bit different to the other Lode Runner games - link on 1st post

When all is lost Ctrl-A is your friend!

I got to level 18 last night (probably about an hours play) 119,825 with 12 lives left, starts of easy but you soon get to some nice levels that make you think, lots of extra lives early on essential to make progress.

post-19705-0-48808600-1549968495.jpg

I'll take a looks at some of the posted homebrew levels here later, perhaps we call pull them all together for a set. I don't think I did any myself (which is unusal) but I'll check :)

I didn't know there was a color version. Always played the original with artifacting until now.

:thumbsup: The artifacting probably looks best on NTSC systems, I think there is a keypress to toggle the mode/colours :ponder:

Lode Runner, eh. One of these classics I've never really played despite having it on countless platforms...not sure why.

I played the Broderbund monochrome version today for a bit and loved it. Genius design concept, super fluid/freeform gameplay and above all lack of usual why-I-hate-platformers tropes such as ice skating jumps (in fact: no jumping at all!), dying on falling from tiniest of heights and so on.

:thumbsup: I think we have here a great HSC game that offers everyone a chance to make progress and the perfect antidote to SFO !

Thanks to an unexpected snow day, I got a whole day to play Lode Runner!

428,975! Level 49!

Deteacher showing us how it's done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Will take a look at all the levels you guys have posted later - remember there will be bonus points for doing them, and the best one(s) too :thumbsup:

Did anyone find a reliable ATR download or do I need to image my copy?

Lode Runner

first tables (play for level reached)

1st Deteacher 49 428,975 12pts
2nd RedThunder 22 172,875 11pts
3rd therealbountybob 18 119,825 10pts
4th graywest 17 120,800 9pts
5th McKong 16 100,000 8pts
6th slx 13 64,275 7pts
7th Marius 8 37,650 6pts
8th youxia 6 30,000 5pts
9th pusakat 6 23,700 4pts
10th skr 6 42,025 3pts
11th carlsson 5 30,250 2pts

(provisional scoring)

• Like 1

I should really look if I made some levels back in 1985.

I have an old Lode Runner saves disk, dating back to 1984 or 1985, which my uncle and I shared on his Atari 800 (which I also still have). I should take another look at it to see if there are any levels there worth playing again; I remember putting quite a bit of effort into a few of mine.

• Like 1

Not on the level I had as a kid, but this looks more like it. Level 20 - 151175 points.

@TRBB Started from the beginning, so please do not take previous score with this new score together. It is a new score, which replaces the previous one.

post-3114-0-22340200-1550268431_thumb.jpg

I think this is an amazing game. It is getting harder and harder the more you progress. In some levels it is very important that you follow a certain route otherwise you will never make it. Creating a pitfall for 1 or 2 guys is possible to walk over... but I do not manage (in time) to create pitfalls for 3 (or more) guys... I mean: I can create them, but they will escape too soon to walk them over.

Edited by Marius
  • Like 2

Nice to see so many scores already, still finishing off Ski-It but will have another LR session later. Next poll will start tomorrow ;-)

Lode Runner

latest tables (play for level reached)

1st Deteacher 49 428,975 12pts
2nd RedThunder 22 172,875 11pts
3rd Marius 20 151,175 10pts
4th therealbountybob 18 119,825 9pts
5th graywest 17 120,800 9pts
6th slx 17 87,000 8pts
7th McKong 16 100,000 8pts
8th youxia 6 30,000 7pts
9th pusakat 6 23,700 6pts
10th skr 6 42,025 5pts
11th roadrunner 6 38,525 4pts
12th carlsson 5 30,250 3pts
13th Sikor 4 29,475 2pts
14th jblenkle 2 8,175 2pts

• Like 1

I have an unprecedented 3 days off and am planning to have a marathon session of LR. Woo hoo!

:thumbsup:

Your level disk has 50 levels on it! :thumbsup: Do you know if levels 2-50 are from the/a normal game or someone else's homebrews? (looking at levels 2 and 3 they look like homebrews)

Completed you level and carlsson's 4, RT's is not possible as the you can't get the guy on the right who has a jewel!

I did find a disk with a paltry 3 levels on that I guess I must have created :ponder:

TRBB Lode Runner Levels.ATR

[edit] after a few goes and seeing how fiendish the first level is I guess they are mine!! Failed to beat it 9,850 and on the score board I have 9,975 level 2 registered from the past!

Go 2...

level 2 was good but level 3 a bit on the easy side 23,150 :)

I'm thinking Lemmings is not a million miles away from Lode Runner, they sort of follow you and do stuff :)

• Like 1