IGNORED

JagDoom 32X (NTSC Version)

Skippy B. Coyote

Since the site this hack was was originally hosted on is no longer in existence and this game definitely deserves to be preserved, I give you JagDoom 32X for NTSC Sega 32X systems. It takes the original 32X Doom and adds in all the previously missing levels from the Atari Jaguar version of Doom as well as the BFG 9000 weapon. To check out the new levels ported from the Jaguar version of Doom just select Level 16 from the title menu and enjoy!

You can play JagDoom 32X with an EverDrive on real hardware and if you have the skills to burn it to a 32X PCB then this hack will fit, since the game was kept to 4.2 MB in size. If anyone here does have the equipment to burn the ROM to a PCB then please let me know, since I'd love to have a real physical copy of the version of Doom that 32X owners should have gotten back in the day.

Anyhoo, here ya go! :)

JagDoom 32X (NTSC).zip

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

I don't have a 32x but I'll try it in an emulator. Though I'll probably be very hard on it. I'm a huge Doom fan but to me it has to be the PC version. The only console Doom I like is Doom 64 but I play the PC port of it Doom 64 EX... but that it's it own game not a port of the original. It about killed my eyes when I tried the SNES version of Doom.

I don't have a 32x but I'll try it in an emulator. Though I'll probably be very hard on it. I'm a huge Doom fan but to me it has to be the PC version. The only console Doom I like is Doom 64 but I play the PC port of it Doom 64 EX... but that it's it own game not a port of the original. It about killed my eyes when I tried the SNES version of Doom.

Yeah, if you didn't care for the original 32X version of Doom you're probably not going to care for this one. It fixes the two biggest issues with the game, adding in the 7 missing levels from the Atari Jaguar version and the previously absent BFG 9000 weapon, but it still has all the other more minor issues that the 32X port of Doom is known for. It still runs in a bordered screen and still has some graphical glitches like the sprites for the rockets coming out of the rocket launcher backwards and Doomguy's hair randomly flipping around in the portrait at the bottom of the screen, but those were always pretty minor to me.

For reference, the new levels included in JagDoom 32X are:

Level 16: Tower of Babel

Level 17: Hell Keep

Level 18: Pandemonium

Level 19: House of Pain

Level 20: Unholy Cathedral

Level 21: Mt. Erebus

Level 22: Limbo

There is one thing that was cut from the original 32X version of Doom to make space for all the new levels and keep it within the 4.2 MB cartridge size limit though, and that's the ending screen after the credits where you get a little congratulatory message then get to see the death animations for all the various enemies in the game. Now after the credits roll upon completion of the last level the game just shows a C:\ prompt at the bottom of the screen. It would have been cool if the programmer could have left in the ending message, but such is life and something had to go to make room for the added content. To play the new levels you'll have to select Level 16 as your starting level from the title menu, which while not ideal was the best the programmer could do without rewriting a lot of the game's base code since 32X Doom was originally programmed to end after 15 levels.

All in all it's not a perfect hack and you'll definitely find areas of complaint, but I'm still pretty thrilled with it and feel like JagDoom 32X really vindicates the 32X and gives it's owners the full Doom experience that they should have gotten back in 1994. :)

Edited by Jin