IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 12 Round 3 - Robotron: 2084

DamonicFury

Welcome to round three of this 5200 HSC season! Robotron: 2084 won the poll with 3 votes. Play with default difficult setting. Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

The current HSC record for Robotron was set by darthkur - 558,350 points. Bust it if you can for a bonus point!

A link to the ROM and manual can be found here:

http://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=660

Round ends Sunday, March 3rd, 2019 @9pm EST

Standings:

Nuclear Pacman - 685,850 (RECORD BREAKER)

Cafeman - 466,100

roadrunner - 178,375

troff - 147,400

Hank Rearden - 91,450

zylon - 84,900

troff - 68,500

Mangia-Boy - 64,950

eegt97 - 52,325

bemis - 37,825

jblenkle - 13,625

Abel Mvada - 5250

My mistake! @sdamon please remove my submission from the leaderboard and I’ll re-post a score on level 1

Honest mistake. I think it's been discussed in the past, on these 5200 menu screens, as far as picture taking is concerned, there's nothing stopping someone from playing on easy mode, and then just changing the difficulty after the fact so it looks like you played the right difficulty in your screenshot. That's why we all just have to trust each other to play it right.

• Like 1

So, I have two digital sticks, and I decided to test out the setup that way. It actually didn't work. The Competition Pro I plugged in to slot 2, would only fire in diagonals, and the 4 cardinal directions wouldn't fire. That's when I decided to stick with the joystick coupler and two original sticks.

That said I have a pretty good starting score. It was playing this game with the coupler that made me realize that the 5200 stock sticks desperately could benefit from an 8-way gate. Obviously, I'm adjusting ok to the controls, but it has to be said, that the lack of a gate is making it difficult to get precision directional shots when you need it. How many times do I want to go straight up or down, and find myself having to keep adjusting from diagonal because the lack of a gate makes it hard to be exact. What's my point? I think once I either master the analog controls with the coupler, or get my digital sticks working right, I'll be crushing that score.

Any hints on playing this under Kat5200? I can never get the controller(s) configured right. I can move around, but can't figure out how to fire. I've tried configuring for both 1 and 2 controllers.

I did not even know about the one controller method using the fire button with this game before this HSC, this does not work in kat5200, it is a bug with the emulator. That said I tried it on the real thing and don't think it is a good way to play at all.

The two controller method works for me in the emulator. I use the two thumbsticks on my controller, the left one configured for player 1 directions in kat5200, the right one configured for player 2 directions in kat5200 (for firing). I lowered Sensitivity for player 2 to 75 when the left direction did not work consistently. Make sure you have player 2 input enabled and set to Joystick in the kat5200 input screen.

Thanks...I will give this a try, but I managed to get it going on Altirra, as well.

I did not even know about the one controller method using the fire button with this game before this HSC, this does not work in kat5200, it is a bug with the emulator. That said I tried it on the real thing and don't think it is a good way to play at all.

The two controller method works for me in the emulator. I use the two thumbsticks on my controller, the left one configured for player 1 directions in kat5200, the right one configured for player 2 directions in kat5200 (for firing). I lowered Sensitivity for player 2 to 75 when the left direction did not work consistently. Make sure you have player 2 input enabled and set to Joystick in the kat5200 input screen.