IGNORED

Horizon Chase Turbo

Flojomojo

18 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

i actually found a physical copy at GameStop of all places- sometimes when my wife has an appointment in town we swing in to one of the Gamestops since it's kind of by where we need to be.  (There's also a Longhorn Steakhouse close, too, but that's a different story.  ;) )

the first thing i noticed is that while i considered myself an old hand at arcade racers, this one took my ego and promptly flattened it. 

i spent about an hour getting the hang of how the cars handle and how the AI behaves and managed to grind out enough points to get the first two upgrades for my cars. that makes a HUGE difference on the frustration factor for me.  :)   i'm still nowhere as good as my fellow AAers that are on my Switch friends list- you guys have some crazy track times!

graphics and sound-wise, i really dig the game.  the soundtrack reminds me of tons of games i played like this in the 80s/90s.  (i think style-wise, moreso the 90s)  the controls are pretty tight too, though i really hate that pushing in on the L stick honks the horn because i do this when i play games all the time.

I felt the same way at first but you will get used to it and blow by other records. Those upgrades keep getting better and better and victories will get much easier.

• Like 1

I've been wanting to pick this up, but wondered if braking and especially acceleration can be mapped to face buttons? 

I'd be buying the PS4 version, but I'm sure the feature set is 1:1 with the Switch version. But my hands just can't tolerate the Dual Shock 4 and holding down the right trigger for long periods in racing games. My hands aren't in perfect shape (Early carpal tunnel or something; can't seem to get my doctor too interested when I tell him about it) and for whatever reason despite the DS4 feeling good in my hands, I can't tolerate racing games on it.

Hoping since it's an arcade racer inspired by classics like Top Gear and hardly in need of analog modulation of the throttle, I can use something like X button. If not I guess I better hold off until buying a Xbox One (I can play 360 racing games for hours at a time without lots of pain and stiffening up, which hopefully would carry over to the Xbox One gamepad).

Edited by Atariboy

55 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

I've been wanting to pick this up, but wondered if braking and especially acceleration can be mapped to face buttons? 

I'd be buying the PS4 version, but I'm sure the feature set is 1:1 with the Switch version. But my hands just can't tolerate the Dual Shock 4 and holding down the right trigger for long periods in racing games. My hands aren't in perfect shape (Early carpal tunnel or something; can't seem to get my doctor too interested when I tell him about it) and for whatever reason despite the DS4 feeling good in my hands, I can't tolerate racing games on it.

Hoping since it's an arcade racer inspired by classics like Top Gear and hardly in need of analog modulation of the throttle, I can use something like X button. If not I guess I better hold off until buying a Xbox One (I can play 360 racing games for hours at a time without lots of pain and stiffening up, which hopefully would carry over to the Xbox One gamepad).

On the Switch it defaults to both face buttons and triggers at the same time.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Atariboy said:

7 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

On the Switch it defaults to both face buttons and triggers at the same time.

Yup!  Like @Punisher5.0 said, it maps to both, and you can customize however you want.  The only thing I found kind of a bummer (and really it's a super minor thing) is that I couldn't completely remove the horn from the left stick.  ;)  

It is definitely inspired by Top Gear and games like San Francisco Rush/Cruis'n World.  I believe that one of the original music composers for Top Gear also worked on music for Horizon Chase as well.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...