IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 12 Round 4 - Gyruss

DamonicFury

Welcome to round four of this 5200 HSC season! Gyruss won the poll with 4 votes. Play with default difficult setting. Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

The current HSC record for Gyruss was set by doctorclu - 279,850 points. Bust it if you can for a bonus point!

A link to the ROM and manual can be found here:

http://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=625

Round ends Sunday, March 17th, 2019 @9pm EST

Standings:

Nuclear Pacman - 619,250 - RECORD BREAKER!

Cafeman - 482,900 - RECORD BREAKER!

eegt97 - 450,550 - RECORD BREAKER!

troff - 101,650

roadrunner - 97,600

jblenkle - 93,650

Mangia-Boy - 93,400

Hank Rearden - 92,950

Bemis - 74,300

Sung to the tune of Farmer in the Dell, Cafeman quickly composes a song as ode to Gyruss 5200 ...

Never got to Earth

Never got to Earth

Never never never never

Never got to Earth

Edit - new ode after this HSC

Finally got to Earth

Finally got to Earth

Hi-yo a-derry-o

Finally got to Earth

• Like 2

Record busted!

post-3519-0-12087600-1552085332.jpg

By the way, there are some bugs in this game, none of which help you score points. There is something wonky on the Uranus run (spare us the Uranus jokes please), where if you have four lives in reserve, sometimes the game refuses to advance on to the next warp after you kill the final enemy. You will just keep dodging meteors until you decide to suicide, and then at the start of a fresh life, the game will again advance a stage. This has happened multiple times to me during this HSC, where I had to give up a life to advance early in the game, and always when I had 4 reserves.

There is also a graphical glitch that will scatter enemies on the screen as stationary objects that can't be interacted with. Nothing happens other than obstructed vision really. This glitch gets fixed upon stage completion.

• Like 3

I definitely hit both the glitches mentioned above several times in this HSC. I was on the last wave to Earth when I bought the farm on this run. The enemies scatter and move very fast after their initial formation entrance, look out!

The Uranus warp glitch happens if you have less than 4 lives, too.

post-37-0-46737200-1552098247_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

534K ??
If that's for real, this is a record that without some hacking will never fall !!!!!

Considering that doctorclu's record has stood nearly 10 years, this is one hell of an achievement !!

My best is in the 259k range and the game gets crazy at that point... BIG CONGRATS !!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1