IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 4?

JeffVav

Folks have covered games that would be nice to see, and I would add trying to clear some other third party games (Commavid comes to mind since the NVM guys own those rights), adding Atarisoft publications from other platforms, and getting some more 70s stuff on tap. But also, bring in a museum mode! The Strong museum has tons of boxes of materials from Atari, Curt has a bunch more. Even older compilations have video interviews with Bushnell and such. Let Code Mystics contextualize these games the same way Digital Eclipse did for SNK.

Edited by ubersaurus

• 1 month later...

There's plenty of money to be made here,  not sure how they're not jumping on this wagon all together. Its just not complete without Battlezone, or the original space invaders, one I haven't seen mentioned is Red Baron, another great game in the mold of Battlezone.

If the braintrust from these companies got together,  they could make something all inclusive,  with the Atari 2600 / 5200 games and the third party games. Pitfall, amongst others. There's just too many great games missing. And, they could release the 50 Greatest. Invaders, Pacman n that chain,  missle command,  tempest,  asteroids, breakout n those games,  pong, pitfall, battlezone, centi n millipede, red baron, I could go on n on, there's many more.  How nice would THAT be? 

What's the story with the Battlezone license.  Does Rebellion want too much money or are they just not interested.

It sounds to me like there isn't much money to be made when a game involves multiple licenses.  Even in the case where the license is reasonably available, like Space Invaders on an AT Games Atari Flashback, Taito insisted that it be their version rather than an Atari conversion.  Pacman would be more expensive and imagine what namco would say if someone wanted to publish the 2600 conversion. 

I understand that an Activision compilation might be a non starter but given that Intellivision Entertainment was able to license the complete library of Imagic titles, why not try a compilation of Imagic games.  Would Atari SA be interested in publishing third party games like Imagic.

Edited by mr_me

I can't speak for the companies involved, but I imagine no inquiries were made in regard to Battlezone.

I doubt it would be an expensive license to secure. Rebellion presumably have a level of respect for the original arcade game and hopefully the impressive 2600 port (Unlike Taito with Atari's own VCS conversion), and want to see those properties remain in the public eye to help further potential future Battlezone projects from themselves. I imagine they realize they're not doing anything with the originals and that they can't expect a large sum from licensing them out.

But at the end of the day they're still licensed games, which means added expenses in the budget for the lawyers and such to attempt to secure the arcade and 2600 game for inclusion on one of these Flashback volumes, with no guarantee of success. And if Rebellion is willing to play ball at a reasonable price, that's another added expense since now Rebellion has to be paid. When classic compilations are on a shoestring budget to start with, niceties like IP owned by others rarely is given serious consideration.

Hopefully when the day comes that we have another console Atari compilation, the budget will accommodate seeking out a few things like Battlezone to better round out the collection. We'll never be pleased of course since there's always more great games we'd love to see secured, but that's the nature of the game. 

Edited by Atariboy

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/21/2021 at 1:21 PM, Atariboy said:

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

I do get the feeling that WB doesn't care enough to rerelease their arcade titles (Midway's Arcade Treasures style), but I do wonder if anyone has approached them about licensing the games for a home release again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 4:17 AM, DavidD said:

I do get the feeling that WB doesn't care enough to rerelease their arcade titles (Midway's Arcade Treasures style), but I do wonder if anyone has approached them about licensing the games for a home release again.

Would love it if HAMSTER contacted them and got the rights to release their games as part of the Arcade Archives.

16 hours ago, Sinton said:

Would love it if HAMSTER contacted them and got the rights to release their games as part of the Arcade Archives.

Has Hamster released any Western arcade titles?  I assume they work on Japanese arcade games and then release the US versions as well...

4 hours ago, DavidD said:

Has Hamster released any Western arcade titles?  I assume they work on Japanese arcade games and then release the US versions as well...

I don't believe they've released any western made arcade titles, but with the exception of those owned by Midway/WB, how many western made arcade titles are left?

On 11/10/2021 at 12:07 AM, Sinton said:

I don't believe they've released any western made arcade titles, but with the exception of those owned by Midway/WB, how many western made arcade titles are left?

Qbert.

All sorts of other stuff that wasn't made by Atari.