IGNORED

SEGA 8Bitdo dongle test out...

gorfcadet

Ok. So I got my Seagull 78 adapter in yesterday and BOTH the 2.4g controller and dongle work and the bluetooth adapter as well! I was playing Commando and Xevious with my 8bitdo N30 arcade stick and played some Rikki & Vikki with my WiiMote! The WiiMote thankfully is mapped well in this case to buttons 1 and 2. It is so nice to play without worrying about my kids knocking my system onto the floor or damaging my controller ports. I ONLY get function with the 7800 using the Seagull adapter to this point, so if you don't have one, don't order this gear for use on an Atari.

Is there any lag? I own two Seagull adapters and am considering the dongle/N30 Arcade Stick combo.

Thanks.

I'm going to try the Revenge (Genesis to 7800) adapter I made a couple of years ago with 8bitdo M30 2.4Ghz wireless gamepad. I'm no longer selling any adapters, but figured I would try to see if there is an issue.

Based on this circuit here:

http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/7800_gen_adap.html

What works and what does not?

5V, GND, Up, Down, Left, Right just pass through, do they work?

post-27883-0-10186900-1553874364.png

I can also confirm that The 8Bitdo M30 2.4G receiver non-Bluetooth version and receiver ($5 cheaper) also works with the Seagull 78 Controller Adapter. This will be the only way I will ever play 7800 games from here on out. This is absolutely the best way to play 7800 games.The M30 controller is the best retro wireless controller on the market IMO.

Ignoring completely the wireless aspect of the controller, has anyone compared the 8Bitdo M30 to the Hyperkin GN6 in terms of "feel" and responsiveness? Are both controllers just as good in these respects or is one better than the other assuming the user doesn't care about wired vs. wireless?

I'm going to try the Revenge (Genesis to 7800) adapter I made a couple of years ago with 8bitdo M30 2.4Ghz wireless gamepad. I'm no longer selling any adapters, but figured I would try to see if there is an issue.

When I compare your schematic to this one:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/14872-genesis-to-7800-controller-mod/

It seems like your resistors are swapped. Otherwise the circuit appears to be the same.

I used the schematic I referenced above when I modified a genesis compatible controller for the 7800:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/288232-how-i-modded-a-hyperkin-gn6-controller-for-use-with-the-7800

Where I passed through the direction connections just like in the schematic. And yes, all of the directions work. and 2 of the 3 main genesis buttons work as the 2 individual fire buttons on the 7800.

I tried the one I got from you a few years back, but the adapters won't work through it. :( Still a very good adapter, but the 8bitdo adapters don't want to work through it.

This is amazing

Is there any lag? I own two Seagull adapters and am considering the dongle/N30 Arcade Stick combo.
Thanks.

I just tried with my Seagull 78 adapter and the 8bitdo M30 2.4Ghz wireless adapter and it's amazingly awesome.

Didn't notice any lag at all! :) Ricki and Vicki play great!

In fact, I'm buying another so Vicki can play wireless with me! ;)

• Like 3

I noticed that Xevious behaves like you have a one button controller plugged into it.

I think what happens here is that the game sees the dongle as a one button controller, as it takes a few seconds for the 8BitDo controller to pair (Xevious immediately tests to see if a one button or two button controller is plugged into the console and automatically selects what it thinks is the proper joystick mode). All other two button games I've tested so far work perfectly.

I'd like to get a version of Xevious with two button support enabled with no checks for controller type to test this, but I wouldn't know how to go about this.

I noticed that Xevious behaves like you have a one button controller plugged into it.

I think what happens here is that the game sees the dongle as a one button controller, as it takes a few seconds for the 8BitDo controller to pair (Xevious immediately tests to see if a one button or two button controller is plugged into the console and automatically selects what it thinks is the proper joystick mode). All other two button games I've tested so far work perfectly.

I'd like to get a version of Xevious with two button support enabled with no checks for controller type to test this, but I wouldn't know how to go about this.

If I remember right Xevious game looks at the switches on 7800 for one or two button mode.

• Like 1

If I remember right Xevious game looks at the switches on 7800 for one or two button mode.

It does, but if it detects a single button controller, it maps both bomb and shoot to one button, regardless of switch position.

• Like 1

I had started a separate thread about this. The M30 2.4G works with my Seagull 78 on my 7800 and 2600 (it doesn't work at all without the Seagull), but for some weird reason UP presses do not register. Everything works perfect on my Retro Trio.

Edited by doug0909
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is amazing

I just tried with my Seagull 78 adapter and the 8bitdo M30 2.4Ghz wireless adapter and it's amazingly awesome.

Didn't notice any lag at all! :) Ricki and Vicki play great!

In fact, I'm buying another so Vicki can play wireless with me! ;)

I had to quote you here since you echoed my sentiments so precisely! Just received my Seagull 78 adapters yesterday, and they, along with the 8bitdo Bluetooth adapters and Bluetooth controllers, make for a perfect modern Atari rig using original platform hardware.

I was thrilled to learn about the initial results from gorfcadet. Had to buy these components to try... Its just AWESOME. I found this to be the perfect setup for my kids and wife to learn and play on the big screen TV in the family room.

My 7800 has been transformed into a legitimate, central gaming platform, right where my PS3 used to be (it got the YLOD). :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think I have noticed a flaw with this setup. While playing Baby Pac Man, the right button controlled the left flipper, and vice versa. Seems it flips the left and right buttons, and that is an issue with the dongle, and not the Seagull 78. I am going to find out about rewiring a seagull 78 to reverse this .

Tested with the 8bitdo arcade stick.

• 6 months later...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MSWGSJY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I ordered 2 of these for 18 dollars and 32 cents total for both.  One arrived today.  Works on my 2600 jr if use my seagull 78 adapter first and the retrobit plugged into that. 

But why dies a seagull work and straight it does not work?  Will another adapter work like multi tap?

• 2 weeks later...